Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
velv

Extend The Fibre Optic Cable

During installation by open net, the cable was done up to the living room. we need to trunk it to the bedroom to replace the current network service

who can do the extend, any electrician to recommend?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

My impression, but I am not sure, is that the fibre optica cable cannot be extended. So, you have to put your modem at your curent location (living room) and then connect your various services (e.g. from bedroom to living room) via network cable.

But I could be wrong. So if anyone knows how to extend the fibre optical cable, I would also like to know.

as i know, got to relay again the cable from outside to where you want it to be (ie in the bedroom). Fiber cable cannot extend by tying half and half. and the only person can do this is opennet. so if you sign with singtel, then got to ask singtel whether they can relay the cables.

During installation by open net, the cable was done up to the living room. we need to trunk it to the bedroom to replace the current network service

who can do the extend, any electrician to recommend?

It can be extended. You need to purchase a SC/APC to SC/APC patch cord that is long enough to extend to your room, but note no bending of the patch cord during the installation in the trunking, it will cause signal loss. You can either install another TP point (box like the one opennet installed with APC/SC coupler) or you can just patch the patch cord to the ONT (end device provided by service provider).

basically, when u signed up a fiber broadband, they will issue you the device and a patch cord cable (yellow cable with head at both end). what I am saying is instead of using the short 1m patch cord provided, you extend the patch cord distance to your room. One end patch to the port 1 of opennet point, start running the newly purchased long distance patch cord cable thr thrunking into your room without any major bending to the cable. End your trunking near to the place u like, then with the end of the patch cord into your device. this solution will minimize the number of connection point and then lower the signal loss risk.

Ok a bit too technical liao..... thats part of FTTX technology.