Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Design Inspiration

To view all designs, visit moddesigninspiration.

MinimalMaterials%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Because the old forum where my previous thread (Living Room Inspiration) was a little obscure, I've decided to create a new thread here such that these designs that I come up with can get a wider audience, and hopefully, inspire more. As it was with the previous thread, the designs here will attempt to steer away from the cookie-cutter designs that most interior designers in Singapore seem to offer their clients, and aim to guide you in seeing a design concept from start to end.

Do feel free to ask for advice (which I'll try my best to offer as and when I'm free), be it on this thread, or on my blog.

_____

Deciding on a theme

Everyone wants a home that reflects their taste, but quantifying one's taste and design preference isn't an easy task. Here's my suggestion: Start off with Sproost - an online engine that helps you discover the ideal look for your home. Afterwards, start sourcing for images and inspiration for that particular look that Sproost has suggested you favour.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I am so glad to come across this post aand your blog!

I am planning my reno for my resale and would like your advise.

I have taken the quiz and it stated 100% contemporary and I'm going for minimalist theme...i think that's comtemporary, rite?

I'm thinking of whites and some greys for the whole house....loved dark wood for furniture but from what i have read so far..most are light wood color to go with whites...can dark wood be chosen for a minimalist theme?

thinking of cement screed flooring but am wondering if it's as bad as what i have read so far...any advice? in the worst case, will be using white tiles for living and dining and wood laminated for bedrooms...

Hi there. The contemporary look isn't a minimal look, rather it is a modern one.

Whites and greys are a good canvas for the particular look that you like, and work as well with dark wood furniture as they do for light woods - it just so happens that light woods are in the trend now given the current obsession locally with a Scandinavian-inspired look. Personally, I would suggest that you avoid following trends religiously, just choose something that you like.

I would also advise against cement screed flooring - its better for environments where one wears footwear. What I would suggest instead is either concrete tiles or natural (matte) stone tiles for that modern look - white and glossy tiles are far too common nowadays. Personally, I prefer parquet over laminate flooring for it's warmth and more natural feel, but it's up to you.

I think this image would best illustrate something like what I'm describing.

mylife_281109_01.jpg

Below are some lookbooks that I've created that could help you in crafting a look similar to that:

Modern Italian - probably the closest to the contemporary look.

Bauhaus Inspired - An example of greys and whites, along with dark/black wood.

Mid-Century Modern - Similar colour palette.

Hope that helps!

Hi there. The contemporary look isn't a minimal look, rather it is a modern one.

Whites and greys are a good canvas for the particular look that you like, and work as well with dark wood furniture as they do for light woods - it just so happens that light woods are in the trend now given the current obsession locally with a Scandinavian-inspired look. Personally, I would suggest that you avoid following trends religiously, just choose something that you like.

I would also advise against cement screed flooring - its better for environments where one wears footwear. What I would suggest instead is either concrete tiles or natural (matte) stone tiles for that modern look - white and glossy tiles are far too common nowadays. Personally, I prefer parquet over laminate flooring for it's warmth and more natural feel, but it's up to you.

I think this image would best illustrate something like what I'm describing.

mylife_281109_01.jpg

Below are some lookbooks that I've created that could help you in crafting a look similar to that:

Modern Italian - probably the closest to the contemporary look.

Bauhaus Inspired - An example of greys and whites, along with dark/black wood.

Mid-Century Modern - Similar colour palette.

Hope that helps!

hi gakuseisean,

Thanks for the reply and the sample looks!!

mylife_281109_01.jpg

yes, this color combination is what I have mind..

Oh, didnt know contemporary isnt a minimalist...just took the test and it said comtemporary.

will be going for dark wood instead of light, not following current trend as trend is always changing.

noted on the cement flooring, am more or less decided not going for that as I read more cons than pros.

when you mentioned concrete tiles or natural (matte) stone, do you mean granite and marble flooring?? that type of flooring is not cheap, trying to keep to my budget. :P

yes, parquet flooring is definitely more warmth. we had parquet flooring for current place but it has stated to crack up over the lines...wondering if it's the workmanship or the quality of the parquet.

trying to avoid this hence thinking of laminate flooring....or is parquet not supposed to crack up over the lines?

Minimal-3-Room-Flat-Living-11%25255B1%25255D.jpg

Actually, loved this all white minimalist room...thinking of going similar except sofa will be grey and dining table dark wood and no carpet..would you know what's the flooring used here...normal matt white tiles?

most of the rooms will be in whites, the shades of greys are for the kitchen and bathrooms and the sofa, dark wood colors are the dining table and the bedrooms floorings (laminate flooring or maybe parquet) and maybe the bed frames and tables (if any)

dont know if all these colors still considered minimalist but keeping everything clean lines...

Minimal%252520Bathroom%25255B4%25255D.jpg

loved this bathroom as well...but am thinking without the wall of mirrors and with grey flooring instead...

Any suggestions and comments? :)

Thanks again for these! :)

Edited by monk8

hi gakuseisean,

Thanks for the reply and the sample looks!!

mylife_281109_01.jpg

yes, this color combination is what I have mind..

Oh, didnt know contemporary isnt a minimalist...just took the test and it said comtemporary.

will be going for dark wood instead of light, not following current trend as trend is always changing.

noted on the cement flooring, am more or less decided not going for that as I read more cons than pros.

when you mentioned concrete tiles or natural (matte) stone, do you mean granite and marble flooring?? that type of flooring is not cheap, trying to keep to my budget. :P

yes, parquet flooring is definitely more warmth. we had parquet flooring for current place but it has stated to crack up over the lines...wondering if it's the workmanship or the quality of the parquet.

trying to avoid this hence thinking of laminate flooring....or is parquet not supposed to crack up over the lines?

Minimal-3-Room-Flat-Living-11%25255B1%25255D.jpg

Actually, loved this all white minimalist room...thinking of going similar except sofa will be grey and dining table dark wood and no carpet..would you know what's the flooring used here...normal matt white tiles?

most of the rooms will be in whites, the shades of greys are for the kitchen and bathrooms and the sofa, dark wood colors are the dining table and the bedrooms floorings (laminate flooring or maybe parquet) and maybe the bed frames and tables (if any)

dont know if all these colors still considered minimalist but keeping everything clean lines...

Minimal%252520Bathroom%25255B4%25255D.jpg

loved this bathroom as well...but am thinking without the wall of mirrors and with grey flooring instead...

Any suggestions and comments? :)

Thanks again for these! :)

Hi there again, first up, Happy Christmas!

Concrete tiles are made of concrete that have been polished and cut into neat tiles - I'm not sure where one can get them from, but I've seen them in commercial settings before. As for natural stone, yes, granite and marble come under those categories. You are right, matte (ceramic or homogeneous) tiles also work quite well - forgive me, I forgot about that option.

In that design, the tiles were white stone tiles, but matte homogenous tiles would work fine as well.

As for the parquet 'cracking', I think you're referring to gaps appearing between the individual wooden strips right? That's actually inevitable, because the wooden strips expand and contract with environmental factors (such as our humidity) - the degree of which this happens is reliant on this factor. The gaps can be filled out if you're refinishing the floor. However, if the wood strip itself cracks, then yes its possible that the strip is defective, but you must remember that wood is an organic material that is bound to have inherent flaws.

The items that you've suggested - they can still come together to create a minimal look, depending on how things are executed. Just keep this in mind if you're doing a minimalist approach: Less is more - reduce visual clutter as far as possible, streamline everything. Everything that appears should have a distinct purpose, and aesthetically, if they are to appear, they should be visually clean-lined as well.

One last thing - try to use LED down lights as far as possible, or LED track lights, and warm lights. They give a more luxe look, which is key to making greys look good - grey in fluorescent lights looks quite bland.

Hi there again, first up, Happy Christmas!

Concrete tiles are made of concrete that have been polished and cut into neat tiles - I'm not sure where one can get them from, but I've seen them in commercial settings before. As for natural stone, yes, granite and marble come under those categories. You are right, matte (ceramic or homogeneous) tiles also work quite well - forgive me, I forgot about that option.

In that design, the tiles were white stone tiles, but matte homogenous tiles would work fine as well.

As for the parquet 'cracking', I think you're referring to gaps appearing between the individual wooden strips right? That's actually inevitable, because the wooden strips expand and contract with environmental factors (such as our humidity) - the degree of which this happens is reliant on this factor. The gaps can be filled out if you're refinishing the floor. However, if the wood strip itself cracks, then yes its possible that the strip is defective, but you must remember that wood is an organic material that is bound to have inherent flaws.

The items that you've suggested - they can still come together to create a minimal look, depending on how things are executed. Just keep this in mind if you're doing a minimalist approach: Less is more - reduce visual clutter as far as possible, streamline everything. Everything that appears should have a distinct purpose, and aesthetically, if they are to appear, they should be visually clean-lined as well.

One last thing - try to use LED down lights as far as possible, or LED track lights, and warm lights. They give a more luxe look, which is key to making greys look good - grey in fluorescent lights looks quite bland.

Hi,

Merry Christmas to you too!!

Yes, most likely going for white matte tiles.

yes again...gaps appearing between the individual wooden strips...i understand that parquet is organic which is the reason why I'm looking at laminate wood flooring...trying to reduce the possibility of cracks.

Will keep in mind clean lines for every room....actually the living/ dining room will be very bare...except for a tv shelf, a sofa and dining table/ chairs.

Oh, using LED down lights? will google that and see what it is... :P

I'm looking at cove/ mood lighting for the rooms....is that the same thing?