Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ashleyspace

Myshoeboxx At Serangoon

1354550836' post='763964']

Initially chosen this wood look-alike tiles for the kitchen, to make it more Scandi feel. Once I told this to the ID, he said need to top-up ~300 for laying this type of tiles coz it's harder to lay (lay Zig Zag like real woods) and workmanship more expensive. I'm quite shock, didn't know this will incur additional costs. Cheapo me, haha, to save cost I had revert back to the tiles second shown below. My thinking is the kitchen area quite small and might not worth it to top up this amount just for the small area. Finally goes with my 2nd choice, greyish tiles with very slight variation in color which I also like. Hope didn't regret with the decision... Sigh... Always battle between $$ and design i like.

Initial (for kitchen floor):-

img4897j.jpg

Final choice (for kitchen floor):-

img4888c.jpg

Common bathroom - black and white chicken pox tiles :-P

img4764k.jpg

Tell me I am making the right choice... huh, anyway choice had been made and cannot revert back. If there is, it means the next house... :-)

Hi, your 'chicken pox' tiles will look similar to this (just an idea for you) 20121129_224919.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

what about your mbr toilet? chix pox tiles also? Choosing tiles is indeed a tough choice. Back than before i got my keys, close fren of mine told me go see see look look at tiles so that when the day comes it will be much easier since you know what to go for. But than again by the time it comes there will be diff designs and you're back at square one.

what about your mbr toilet? chix pox tiles also? Choosing tiles is indeed a tough choice. Back than before i got my keys, close fren of mine told me go see see look look at tiles so that when the day comes it will be much easier since you know what to go for. But than again by the time it comes there will be diff designs and you're back at square one.

Nope, using the grey color tiles. So how's your renovation going on? Close to completion??

Actually the grey color homogeneous tiles initially planned to be used as master washroom wall tiles. When the ID discouraged us from using the wooden floor tiles for kitchen, we conveniently switch the kitchen floor tiles to the same due to short of time.

For master bedroom washroom, prefer something not so white and must be matte. I like the feel like the hotel washroom, usually in beige and textured matte surface tiles which is like those seen in the spa. Those imported tiles from Europe are usually more rich in texture and color variations and if budget allows should invest in those. Actually our ID advise against using homogeneous tiles as washroom tiles as it tend to break easily when mounting the accessories. However, I searched high and low, not able to find ceramic tiles that can give such feel. Usually ceramic tiles are high gloss and the matte one has so limited choice. So insisted on this and finally he gave in. *evil* :-P Haha

Any of you who had used homogeneous tiles as washroom wall tiles can share your experience? I think there must be some techniques to prevent homogeneous tiles from breaking when drilling holes into them... It's the technical side which I'm not familiar but for sure there are ways to overcome this..

Hi, your 'chicken pox' tiles will look similar to this (just an idea for you) 20121129_224919.jpg

I see, okies not bad... For common washroom, we wanted a modern style, so I think this should fit. Actually our expectation on the common washroom is not so high, so selection of tiles is relatively easy! So our guests will be surrounded by "chicken pox" when they want to do business :-P Haha...

By the way, for those more experienced in renovations, is the 3D is rendered before the selection of tiles? Is it usual that 3D is provided for washroom as well?

Ours went straight to select tiles and then now only comes the 3D. So the 3D is quite useless consider the fact that choice has been made? Probably what's left is just for the carpentry now. I'm not sure how it goes about for others reno folks, please share to me if you had such experience...

Nope, using the grey color tiles. So how's your renovation going on? Close to completion??

Actually the grey color homogeneous tiles initially planned to be used as master washroom wall tiles. When the ID discouraged us from using the wooden floor tiles for kitchen, we conveniently switch the kitchen floor tiles to the same due to short of time.

For master bedroom washroom, prefer something not so white and must be matte. I like the feel like the hotel washroom, usually in beige and textured matte surface tiles which is like those seen in the spa. Those imported tiles from Europe are usually more rich in texture and color variations and if budget allows should invest in those. Actually our ID advise against using homogeneous tiles as washroom tiles as it tend to break easily when mounting the accessories. However, I searched high and low, not able to find ceramic tiles that can give such feel. Usually ceramic tiles are high gloss and the matte one has so limited choice. So insisted on this and finally he gave in. *evil* :-P Haha

Any of you who had used homogeneous tiles as washroom wall tiles can share your experience? I think there must be some techniques to prevent homogeneous tiles from breaking when drilling holes into them... It's the technical side which I'm not familiar but for sure there are ways to overcome this..

Mine is only day 10 as of Wed, When i visit earlier during lunch..they're doing the tiles for living room.

As for your 3D, at least you got a rough feel how your toilet gonna be. Mine is only living room area, and 2 cabinets door. I don't really bother so much into the 3D but whats most important is if he can meet my dateline for moving in. I don't mind if there is a little work left on the kitchen as what he had promised.

All the best with your renovations!

If you need some guidance, check out these threads. There are many more like them around, just hard to find. Too bad I only discovered them after my renos. Therefore learnt a lot of things the hard way ... hopefully you won't!

My 3 Golden Rules are:

1. Be disciplined with your budgeting. Work out your budget, and stick to it. Don't add here, add there, even if it's a little bit, because it will add up. If you add somewhere, must subtract from somewhere else.

2. You are the boss. This is probably a five figure sum contract with your ID. It's a lot of money so you need to act accordingly. You need to take charge, set boundaries, and be very clear what you expect. For small things, give and take. But for anything involving a deadline or specifications, must be firm. Otherwise it's very easy for IDs to makan you.

3. Be proactive in the design process. Do your homework. You need to partner your ID. Yes, you hired the ID to design the place for you. But I guarantee you no ID will put in as much effort or thought into thinking about your place than you ever will. Because they won't live there at the end of the day, and they have other projects. For them, it's business. For you, because you live there, it will be personal. So you need to arm yourself with info and your own ideas. Not just about design but practical things too. Like some people prefer a particular configuration of cabinets. Or are used to positioning kitchen equipment in a particular configuration. Some prefer like higher kitchen counters (I kena here - my ID built my counter too low. Get back-strain when I wash the dishes!). Good IDs will seek your input but a lot of them will just go with "default" template unless you talk to them about it.

What You Need To Know Before You Start Renovation

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

Guide For Renovation TIPS FOR RENOVATION

[beginner's Guide] What Lights To Choose

All the best with your renovations!

If you need some guidance, check out these threads. There are many more like them around, just hard to find. Too bad I only discovered them after my renos. Therefore learnt a lot of things the hard way ... hopefully you won't!

My 3 Golden Rules are:

1. Be disciplined with your budgeting. Work out your budget, and stick to it. Don't add here, add there, even if it's a little bit, because it will add up. If you add somewhere, must subtract from somewhere else.

2. You are the boss. This is probably a five figure sum contract with your ID. It's a lot of money so you need to act accordingly. You need to take charge, set boundaries, and be very clear what you expect. For small things, give and take. But for anything involving a deadline or specifications, must be firm. Otherwise it's very easy for IDs to makan you.

3. Be proactive in the design process. Do your homework. You need to partner your ID. Yes, you hired the ID to design the place for you. But I guarantee you no ID will put in as much effort or thought into thinking about your place than you ever will. Because they won't live there at the end of the day, and they have other projects. For them, it's business. For you, because you live there, it will be personal. So you need to arm yourself with info and your own ideas. Not just about design but practical things too. Like some people prefer a particular configuration of cabinets. Or are used to positioning kitchen equipment in a particular configuration. Some prefer like higher kitchen counters (I kena here - my ID built my counter too low. Get back-strain when I wash the dishes!). Good IDs will seek your input but a lot of them will just go with "default" template unless you talk to them about it.

What You Need To Know Before You Start Renovation

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

Guide For Renovation TIPS FOR RENOVATION

[beginner's Guide] What Lights To Choose

Thanks for the tips and your 3 golden rules... :-) I try to be more proactive and follow-up closely with the progress. A bit upset on way because we realize the progress is a bit slow. For ~1.5 weeks after tiling, the toilet bowl is not installed yet and wall not yet plastered. I've call him up to follow-up on the schedule. Things should go at faster pace the next few weeks. Anyhow the unit need to be hand-over by then else we will be homeless because the room rental will be due.

By the way, the topic on "material that u regret using/installing" is so good. I've been thinking of using some Ikea stainless steel washroom accessories, but after seeing the complain I think better buy from others to avoid them going rusty. Actually I like Ikea design a lot, although items like wardrobe tend to have better quality with built-in ones, honestly I like the Ikea design more - especially for those glass sliding door wardrobe. I think I will still buy few items from Ikea, like the Hemnes mirror, or some small items.

Edited by ashleyspace

Some progress on the wet works...

Tiles on master bathroom is up!

img5297az.jpg

Close-up on master bathroom tiles, quite satisfied with the workmanship, tiler did a neat work. Dark rough black tile is chosen as the 'feature wall' for the washroom:

img5296hs.jpg

Common bathroom chicken pox tiles also up...! Overall the bathroom not dark although we use black tiles on one of the walls, we are glad it turns out this brighter than we have thought. We place the black tiles on the side that will mount the water closet and basins so that it will make it less "dark" :-)

img5288s.jpg

Man behind the scene - muscular man working on the tiling... Just kidding, anyway the simple kitchen tiles that chosen last minute by ID looks clean and neat also. It is one-man-show though so the progress a bit slow. But anyway it is budgeted into the schedule, because December is a peak season for renovation and the progress will be slower than usual. Our ID budget 2-month schedules, just for a 3-room renovation. We accepted reluctantly but it must be handover on time and with good quality.

img5285f.jpg

See the workmanship here, not bad I think. Even distance between each tiles and quite evenly layed:

img5283c.jpg

Edited by ashleyspace

I am a big fan of Ikea too. I think people sometimes dismiss Ikea because they think the quality sucks.

It is true that for many of their items they use particleboard, which is not solid wood. And for some items, the price of getting a carpenter to do something similar isn't much more.

But for many other items, you cannot beat the design you get for the price. We have a couple of Hemnes mirrors too. Cannot beat the price for that kind of design!

The best thing about Ikea are the internal drawer configurations for the wardrobe and kitchen systems. If you get your carpenter to do something similar it will cost you A LOT!

Also, the durability may not be as good, but it's not THAT bad. You can also easily replace worn/damaged parts as all Ikea systems are modular. So it's plug-and-play. These systems also come with 10 year warranties. Sure, the terms and conditions may be restrictive, but at least it's there and you can still make a case for things like the separation of laminates as a manufacturing defect. Will your carpenter offer you a 10 year warranty?

I think with big items (built-in wardrobes etc) you might actually save money in the long run eventhough you have to replace items because custom carpentry is really quite expensive these days. Frankly, it also may not be as good as you think it should be. The quality of work is really slipping man. If you were to spend a little bit of time and energy to reinforce the Ikea construction, it can actually feel quite sturdy! It's amazing what a few extra screws or right-angle supports can do to the strength of the item.

By the way, the topic on "material that u regret using/installing" is so good. I've been thinking of using some Ikea stainless steel washroom accessories, but after seeing the complain I think better buy from others to avoid them going rusty. Actually I like Ikea design a lot, although items like wardrobe tend to have better quality with built-in ones, honestly I like the Ikea design more - especially for those glass sliding door wardrobe. I think I will still buy few items from Ikea, like the Hemnes mirror, or some small items.

Edited by ultimax

I am a big fan of Ikea too. I think people sometimes dismiss Ikea because they think the quality sucks.

It is true that for many of their items they use particleboard, which is not solid wood. And for some items, the price of getting a carpenter to do something similar isn't much more.

But for many other items, you cannot beat the design you get for the price. We have a couple of Hemnes mirrors too. Cannot beat the price for that kind of design!

The best thing about Ikea are the internal drawer configurations for the wardrobe and kitchen systems. If you get your carpenter to do something similar it will cost you A LOT!

Also, the durability may not be as good, but it's not THAT bad. You can also easily replace worn/damaged parts as all Ikea systems are modular. So it's plug-and-play. These systems also come with 10 year warranties. Sure, the terms and conditions may be restrictive, but at least it's there and you can still make a case for things like the separation of laminates as a manufacturing defect. Will your carpenter offer you a 10 year warranty?

I think with big items (built-in wardrobes etc) you might actually save money in the long run eventhough you have to replace items because custom carpentry is really quite expensive these days. Frankly, it also may not be as good as you think it should be. The quality of work is really slipping man. If you were to spend a little bit of time and energy to reinforce the Ikea construction, it can actually feel quite sturdy! It's amazing what a few extra screws or right-angle supports can do to the strength of the item.

Haha, we are both Ikea Hemnes mirror fans! The mirror I'm thinking to have is the Hemnes full height mirror($169) to be placed in the master bedroom between wardrobe and bed. I think the white frame should match very much with the wooden laminate floor. Problem is the mirror width is 74cm, it's quite big considering the size of a HDB room. If I get this, might need to forfeit one bedside table (just left with one).

Here is the inspiration :-

dsc07238x.jpg

Another item I would love to have in my bedroom is this sheep skin, omg i think it should be very matching with wooden floor color also.

dsc07231h.jpg

LUDDE Sheepskin - The real stuff, cost $69. Feel good to touch though...

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/90166468/

If wanted to go on budget, but still want something that looks as good, here it is:

Dang dang, the TEJN Faux sheepskin - Only cost $19.90... If it gets dirty, just get a new one without feeling the pain? :-P

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/10229078/

Here is the blog that inspires us on the Hemnes mirror....

http://www.chicgeekblog.com/2010/09/mission-organization-ikea-to-rescue.html

Edited by ashleyspace

I love your design... tat is something tat i have in mind...

my problem now is tat between my kitchen and living room, there is a 10cm drop. spoken to afew contractors, they say the new rule is can't hv it flush straight. sigh...

looking forward to see more updates of yr flats

I had gone through a tough time selecting IDs and contractors, because of the tight budget. To cut the story short, we have finally settle down with an ID firm from Jurong East. We are cost oriented when selecting the IDs, but I think this is a big mistake because not every ID can understand the style you want. I realized that we had spent few hours talking about the partitioning of kitchen and quotations but when it comes to the design themes probably like 5 minutes. He doesn't give much suggestions and meaningful discussion on the design theme. From this experience, I would suggest to go through the design concepts with the IDs first to see how he/she can get the idea before signing up. Better still can show some pictures to see if they can help you to design your dream house.

Most IDs in Singapore are actually doing much of contemporary style. If you're looking for something like scandinavian, industrial or more *****, really need to look into the ID's profile. Otherwise, most of their design are quite standard and may disappoint you. It will be too late to realize this after signing up with the firm.

I actually quite interested the Scandinavian design, industrial and the all-white minimalist design theme... However, due to inexperience, I didn't have guts to jump into any the themes. Also the ID we selected doesn't have much experience doing up any of these. So the actual design is more of a modern contemporary design.

Here is our 3D:

View to the kitchen -

img5290lu.jpg

View to the living -

img5289k.jpg