Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
punggoldweller

Air Con Installation Blotched Job

Hi Everyone,

My air con installer cut my toilet's false ceiling metal frame to fit the air con copper pipes thru. He told me that is the usual path for the flats around the area and that he has done it for quite a number of flats in Punggol.

See image. Did you have yours done this way too and it is acceptable? If not, what remedy did the installer provide?

Metal frame was snipped off to make way for piping which was placed too low.

IMG_0228.JPG

Have to bend the metal frame down too.

IMG_0234.JPG

Placed trunking under the water heater point instead of going along the ceiling, means that I have to put my water heater lower on the wall and run in the danger of getting it wet frequently...

IMG_0253.JPG

I went to my neighbour's to enquire and saw theirs are done neater! Can homeowners who have images of their air con trunking installation post up to for me to reference please?

Thank you.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Today I went to consult another air con installer. The air con installer recommended 16mm water pipe(inner diameter) saying the aircon not only output water but jelly as well.. Using a 13mm inner diameter water pipe, the jelly have a high chance of choking at the joints. Can anyone verify this?

Also, I discover new defect with my current air con installation. The trunking outside at the air con ledge was actually not joined well. See the top part. Seriously this installer really no heart to do work. See gaps, patch one side, don't patch the other side. Leaves gap like this all around.

IMG_3645.JPG

Today the Site Manager, S* came to inspect the installation. It turns out that this Air con whole saler/Electronics wholesaler had outsourced the installation to another Air Conditioning Service company located in Woodlands. I guess a lot of companies outsource the installation but some were upfront to tell their customers.

S came in, again without meeting the owners first, went into my unit, took a dump in my toilet. I forgot to check if he flushed. Hope he remembers to, don't stink up Uncle Tiler who's doing my floor today.

His verdict is that the damage to my false ceiling is small matter and that can be fixed by replacing the brackets.. Everything else is very easy to fix.

He told me that the biggest problem would be the trunking that was run under the water heater point. He said that every time the trunking turns an angle, it is more work to do. And that it will affect the gas flow, people will complain air con is not cold. He say that if he is the one doing the installation, he will run the trunking the same way too.

So if you had engaged an electronic wholesaler/importer/exporter who do not have their own installer/ have multiple related biz registered under their HQ address, not using a corporate email address, do note to discuss and mark down exactly where the piping should run from end to end, how big trunking will be, if not big enough how, etc to avoid unhappiness. Take note that the installer would have in mind his preferred way irregardless of your later on needs...

By the way, owners who accepted your trunking in a straight line in the mbr toilet, where do you install your water heater? I actually bought a rain shower for my mbr toilet already.. Found out that only storage heater can be used. Had to forgo our original mulit point heater cos review is that water temperature will fluncate because of water pressure.

I have requested that they changed the copper pipings and insulation because I am definitely not convince that work done badly on the outside will be excellent on the inside. He explained that if the insulation is not torn, copper pipes are not leaking then no need to change. I asked if he can test that the copper pipes are not leaking. He say the pipes are too long to test. If we encounter issues like gas need to be top up frequently, then need to test if the pipes are leaking, aka the soap bubble test. But by the time I need to top up my gas, my 1 year warranty will lapse and then I still need to pay for the gas separately cos it is not part of the warranty?

Another note about testing air con, after installation, the air con installer should set the air con to the lowest temperature and let it run for 30 mins, after that turn off the air con and check the air temperature in the room. My installer just showed me air con indicator light up, blowing cold wind, ask me to pay up. One afternoon, I set to 25C to test if working fine but room is still quite warm, compare to the air con in my current place. Definitely need to perform the air con test.

Interesting read on r22 gas http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/1926909-health-effects-freon-leaking-air-conditioner.html But I don't know what other gas is used. Flammable but not toxic at 1% concentration, don't inhale straight from the bottle.

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

Originally:

IMG_0293.JPG

Clean up stains left silicon marks

IMG_0226.JPG

As of now, no news yet from the Air con seller on whether they will change my piping or not. Breezing thru my installation just to collect money. Now I am kicking myself for trusting them.

Edited by punggoldweller

Hmm come to think of it, the air con installer company doesn't seems to think it is a big deal that their workmanship is like this, compare to other companies. Guess if they are willing to stand by their work, they are willing to put their faces to it..

Walking into people's houses when owner say please come back another day, is a sign that they are out to take people for granted.