Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
utor

Advice Needed For New 4Room Hdb Flat!

Hi,

I just got an initial quote from the ID, as we are terribly inexperienced, would appreciate if someone could just advise if the quote is reasonable!

A little background, we are a young couple with is a new 4 room HDB unit (94sqm). So far, we only received 2 quotes but felt that the ID missed out a lot of things that we wanted to do, thus we couldn't compare the quotes.

This ID I got was quite engaging and so far, included most of the things that we desired. But I am still afraid that being inexperienced (I did stalk the forum for some time already but it is still quite confusing!), I am afraid that I might be taken as a carrot to chop!

So anyway, quote is as below is unfortunately still too high for us (45k! mainly, i think, due to the inclusion of a dedicated room for wardrobes and a study/home office) so there is going to be some revision.

(item 1-6 relates to Id services such as 3d drawing, consultation etc..)

Flooring/masonry works

Living, household shelter, 3 bedrooms

7. Supply material & labour to lay 60x60cm homogeneous floor ties c/w skirting **** and household shelter ($2,450)

8. Supply material & Labour to lay laminate flooring c/w skirting at 3 bedrooms ($1,935)

bathrooms

9. Supply material & labour to construct entrance kerb at master and common bathroom ($200)

10. Suppler material & labour to construct shower kerb at master and common bath room ($200)

Kitchen

11. Supply material & labour to construct cement motar base c/w tiles skirting for kitchen cabinet ($200)

12. Supply material & labour to construct fridge base c/w tiles finished ($120)

13. Supply material & labour to construct washing machine base c/w tiles finished ($120)

Plumbing works

14. Supply labour to run outlet pipe for washing machine at service yard ($80)

15. Supply labour to install kitchen sink and tap ($80)

16. Supply labour to install 02xbedect spray at master & common bathroom ($60)

17. Supply labour to install storage water heater at common bathroom ($150)

18. Supply labour to install toilet accessories at both bathroom ($200)

Electrical works

19. Refer to electrical price list (Estimated amount only) ($1,000)

Ceiling/plaster works

20. Supply and labour to erect L box c/w cove light pelmet **** ($1,200)

21. Supply and labour to erect L box c/w cove light pelmet at master bedroom ($450)

Painting

22. To paint internal walls of whole unit using Nippon emulsion paint (5 colors excluding 1 ceiling white) ($1,400)

Aluminium/glass works

23. Supply material & labour to install p-d door (acrylic range) at master and common bathroom ($680)

24. Supply material & labour to install 2 pcs of 10mm tempered clear glass sliding door at kitchen entrance ($1,250)

25. Supply material & labour to install 5mm glass backing at kitchen ($400)

26. Supply & labour to install 10mm tempered glass shower screen c/w fixed panel and 1 swing door at master bathroom (1.9m height) ($550)

Carpentry works

Living/Dining

27. Fabricate and install L5" shoe cabinet (half ht) in selected laminate finishing ($1,400)

28. Fabricate and install L8" feature wall in selected laminate finishing ($2,240)

29. Fabricate and install L8" Tv console (slim) in selected laminate finishing ($1,120)

Kitchen

30. Fabricate and install L23" kitchen cabinet (top and bottom) in selected laminate finishing ($2,760)

31. Fabricate and install L10" black galaxy worktop c/w single profile ($1,200)

Master bedroom

32. Fabricate and install L7" sliding door wardrobe (full ht) in selected laminate finishing at master bedroom ($1,960)

33. Fabricate and install L12" bedhead (full ht) c/w storage and 2 side table in selected laminate finishing ($3,360)

34. Fabricate and install L4" shelving for players in selected laminate finishing ($160)

Bedroom 3

35. Fabricate and install L13" sliding door wardrobe (full ht) in selected laminate finishing at bedroom 2 ($3,640)

36. Fabricate and install L10" settee (half ht) c/w storage in selected laminate finishing at bedroom 2 ($2,100)

37. Fabricate and install L5" dresser cw mirrow and drawer in selected laminate finishing at bedroom 2 ($1,200)

Bedroom 2

38. Fabricate and install L5" book shelves (full ht) c/w clear glass doors in selected laminate finishing ($1,400)

39. Fabricate and install L11" study table c/w drawers in selected laminate finishing ($1,650)

40. Fabricate and install L7" top hung cabinet in selected laminate finishing ($960)

41. Fabricate and install L9" book shelves (half ht) in selected laminate finishing ($1,890)

bathrooms

42. Fabricate and install L3.5" vanity cabinet in selected laminate finishing in master bathroom ($420)

43. Fabricate and install L3.5" solid surface worktop in single profile in master bathroom ($300)

44. Fabricate and install L3.5" mirror c/w cove light holder in selected laminate finishing in master bathroom ($525)

45. Fabricate and install L3.5" vanity cabinet in selected laminate finishing in common bathroom ($420)

46. Fabricate and install L3.5" solid surface worktop in single profile in common bathroom ($300)

47. Fabricate and install L3.5" mirror c/w cove light holder in selected laminate finishing in bathroom ($525)

Total: $42,275

GST: $2959.25

Final Total: $45,234,25

TIA!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I'm not experienced either, but from what I have read in this forum so far, the quote looks terribly expensive.

Thats why, I'm looking for a direct contractor rather than a ID.

My search started a week back, decided to start early since I'm getting the keys in September.

Advice: Dont rush, do proper due diligence. There are other forums as well. Talk to friends, use sites that allow you to get multiple quotes, visit few ID's (to get idea on pricing), Look for direct contractors,

45K for a 4 room ... Grrrrrrrr Grrrrrr Grrrrrr

Its your hard earned money, so just don't get caught by these greedy ID firms (not all are like that)

Jerry

my post here

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/63663-recommendation-on-contractor-for-a-new-5-room-bto/

Edited by jerryjerry

Thanks for the advice Jerry,

I agree with your advice! However, the quotes the other ID that I have thus far received is not very comparable because it did not include quite a number of things we wanted done.

We wouldnt mind contractor over IDs but me and wifey job's places a lot of demand on us (very long hours) and we are afraid we cannot squeeze time to monitor the projects :\

Actually I wanted to know if the price is reasonable for the things that I wanted to do. most of the costs are from the carpentry for the study/home office with all the bookshelves and the wardrobe.

I mean, we sat down with the ID to get a picture of what was quoted so I can at least safely say that we are satisfied that the quote includes most of the items that we wanted done but not sure if the prices are right or if our expectations are too unreasonable.

look for more IDs and get quotes. Those quotes that are short of the items u wanted tell them to add in and compare again. $45k for 4 rm is really crazy.. although u seem to have quite a lot of stuffs.

Looking! In fact, another id said that our expectation would hit 50k! So I think I will have to revise our expectations...

Is your place new BTO? You don't have to spend $45k on a new BTO...... useless you want to build a palace.

I got my package at less then 20k and spend less then 35k for the whole renovation

If this is new bto flat, this price is really expensive. You can try check up this company they having promotion package now and giving out 30% discount voucher to who are fix the appoiment with the sales designer.

if you want i can pm you the person incharge telephone number.

Hi,

I just got an initial quote from the ID, as we are terribly inexperienced, would appreciate if someone could just advise if the quote is reasonable!

A little background, we are a young couple with is a new 4 room HDB unit (94sqm). So far, we only received 2 quotes but felt that the ID missed out a lot of things that we wanted to do, thus we couldn't compare the quotes.

This ID I got was quite engaging and so far, included most of the things that we desired. But I am still afraid that being inexperienced (I did stalk the forum for some time already but it is still quite confusing!), I am afraid that I might be taken as a carrot to chop!

So anyway, quote is as below is unfortunately still too high for us (45k! mainly, i think, due to the inclusion of a dedicated room for wardrobes and a study/home office) so there is going to be some revision.

(item 1-6 relates to Id services such as 3d drawing, consultation etc..)

Flooring/masonry works

Living, household shelter, 3 bedrooms

7. Supply material & labour to lay 60x60cm homogeneous floor ties c/w skirting **** and household shelter ($2,450)

8. Supply material & Labour to lay laminate flooring c/w skirting at 3 bedrooms ($1,935)

bathrooms

9. Supply material & labour to construct entrance kerb at master and common bathroom ($200)

10. Suppler material & labour to construct shower kerb at master and common bath room ($200)

Kitchen

11. Supply material & labour to construct cement motar base c/w tiles skirting for kitchen cabinet ($200)

12. Supply material & labour to construct fridge base c/w tiles finished ($120)

13. Supply material & labour to construct washing machine base c/w tiles finished ($120)

Plumbing works

14. Supply labour to run outlet pipe for washing machine at service yard ($80)

15. Supply labour to install kitchen sink and tap ($80)

16. Supply labour to install 02xbedect spray at master & common bathroom ($60)

17. Supply labour to install storage water heater at common bathroom ($150)

18. Supply labour to install toilet accessories at both bathroom ($200)

Electrical works

19. Refer to electrical price list (Estimated amount only) ($1,000)

Ceiling/plaster works

20. Supply and labour to erect L box c/w cove light pelmet **** ($1,200)

21. Supply and labour to erect L box c/w cove light pelmet at master bedroom ($450)

Painting

22. To paint internal walls of whole unit using Nippon emulsion paint (5 colors excluding 1 ceiling white) ($1,400)

Aluminium/glass works

23. Supply material & labour to install p-d door (acrylic range) at master and common bathroom ($680)

24. Supply material & labour to install 2 pcs of 10mm tempered clear glass sliding door at kitchen entrance ($1,250)

25. Supply material & labour to install 5mm glass backing at kitchen ($400)

26. Supply & labour to install 10mm tempered glass shower screen c/w fixed panel and 1 swing door at master bathroom (1.9m height) ($550)

Carpentry works

Living/Dining

27. Fabricate and install L5" shoe cabinet (half ht) in selected laminate finishing ($1,400)

28. Fabricate and install L8" feature wall in selected laminate finishing ($2,240)

29. Fabricate and install L8" Tv console (slim) in selected laminate finishing ($1,120)

Kitchen

30. Fabricate and install L23" kitchen cabinet (top and bottom) in selected laminate finishing ($2,760)

31. Fabricate and install L10" black galaxy worktop c/w single profile ($1,200)

Master bedroom

32. Fabricate and install L7" sliding door wardrobe (full ht) in selected laminate finishing at master bedroom ($1,960)

33. Fabricate and install L12" bedhead (full ht) c/w storage and 2 side table in selected laminate finishing ($3,360)

34. Fabricate and install L4" shelving for players in selected laminate finishing ($160)

Bedroom 3

35. Fabricate and install L13" sliding door wardrobe (full ht) in selected laminate finishing at bedroom 2 ($3,640)

36. Fabricate and install L10" settee (half ht) c/w storage in selected laminate finishing at bedroom 2 ($2,100)

37. Fabricate and install L5" dresser cw mirrow and drawer in selected laminate finishing at bedroom 2 ($1,200)

Bedroom 2

38. Fabricate and install L5" book shelves (full ht) c/w clear glass doors in selected laminate finishing ($1,400)

39. Fabricate and install L11" study table c/w drawers in selected laminate finishing ($1,650)

40. Fabricate and install L7" top hung cabinet in selected laminate finishing ($960)

41. Fabricate and install L9" book shelves (half ht) in selected laminate finishing ($1,890)

bathrooms

42. Fabricate and install L3.5" vanity cabinet in selected laminate finishing in master bathroom ($420)

43. Fabricate and install L3.5" solid surface worktop in single profile in master bathroom ($300)

44. Fabricate and install L3.5" mirror c/w cove light holder in selected laminate finishing in master bathroom ($525)

45. Fabricate and install L3.5" vanity cabinet in selected laminate finishing in common bathroom ($420)

46. Fabricate and install L3.5" solid surface worktop in single profile in common bathroom ($300)

47. Fabricate and install L3.5" mirror c/w cove light holder in selected laminate finishing in bathroom ($525)

Total: $42,275

GST: $2959.25

Final Total: $45,234,25

TIA!

I did not go through your item by item quotation. I just see the total price, let me point out my point of view to you.

First, go have appointment with a few more ID. This is very taxing I know, share you what I did. Meet up in person with the ID not more than 5. The rest just email them what is your expectation with your floor plan, cut & paste so you no need to repeat every time you meet a new ID.

Second, always look for a company without the GST....... there are tons out the market no GST occurred.

Third, a 4 room BTO . If normal renovation not involving a lot of carpentry, the range should be 25-35 k. But if it is a resale, 40k up , not strange at all.

Good luck and hope it help a little........... my 2 cents worth!

I did not go through your item by item quotation. I just see the total price, let me point out my point of view to you.

First, go have appointment with a few more ID. This is very taxing I know, share you what I did. Meet up in person with the ID not more than 5. The rest just email them what is your expectation with your floor plan, cut & paste so you no need to repeat every time you meet a new ID.

Second, always look for a company without the GST....... there are tons out the market no GST occurred.

Third, a 4 room BTO . If normal renovation not involving a lot of carpentry, the range should be 25-35 k. But if it is a resale, 40k up , not strange at all.

Good luck and hope it help a little........... my 2 cents worth!

ps : No one will say they are very experience in renovation unless you are a ID or contractor....or you renovate your house 2 years one time. So we are all here to learn , share and make friends.... :jammin:

Hi, I receive my quotation for 4-room BTO at about $25K (only one common bedroom is without any cabinet, study tables, etc)