Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
skoh

Do Not Engage This Id And Firm!

Same fate

Friend intro me I-chapter few months back, so decided to use them after few meeting. It turn out to be a nightmare after that.

Their standard drop. Will not recommend any of my friends to use them anymore.

Lesson learned, don't base on good designs they provided and low price, always find friends who had good experience with the ID company

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/35485-any-review-on-i-chaptercomsg/?p=915544

63B Queens Street
Bugis Village
Singapore 188542

Tel line 1: +65 6456 2676 (3 Lines)
Fax No.: +65 6456 0026

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Sorry to use this place but I need some advice.

We held back last payment to the ID including a payment for a supplier of the ID ordered from as they have yet to completely rectifying a issue.

Starting from top, this was last year end. We were promised the complete reno within 1 to at most 1.5 months (1 room, 1 kitchen). Many thing were overpromised, underdelivered. Putting that aside, we were fine with most of the thing including mistakes of colour and design that we just accepted.

However there were issues that were mostly solved by the ID's partner (after a big argument, the partner took over and we made it clear we will pay everything when things are settled.) except for 1. They did not resolve it nor contact us till recently again to chase for last payment. Just not long, they got the particular supplier to get the payment from us but we rejected saying that the ID should be the one solving it.

And since 1 issue had yet to be resolved, we didn't think it should be our problem. Moreover they dragged nearly 1 year. So do you think we should just ignore the chasing of payment? Should we go to Case or court?

If the ID agrees to fix the last issue should we accept since they already dragged about a year? If the supplier call us again what should we do?

Hi all, please be aware that there is this scam ID known as Johnny Fong Poh Huat who is going around, collecting money from his clients then stop all the work and just disappear when there are still a huge portion to be done. He opened his own company Vibrante interior design in May 2015 and so far, there had been at least 6 house owners being cheated. He has not been contactable since early Nov and also owe a lot of contracters money as well. Please keep a look out as he may be lurking around and approach you under other company as well. He wears spectacle, is thin and tan, around 40 years old, drives a black lexus and needs to go for dialysis three times weekly. We really regretted trusting him. He always assure that he will complete the job but is only capable of making empty promises. Please do not let him prey on others.

Thank you.

Case already lodged as an record against the id i mentioned previously. He tried to get the supplier to call us for payment twice already! They were the ones who MIA and not finish up the last defect despite us messaging him and now its already more than a year than they start appearing and call after we told the supplier to find the id not us. Talk nonsenses only and tell supplier lies.

Edited by owltea

Hi, I have my story to share as well. Tried creating a new thread but doesn't seem to be successful, so Im trying my luck here:

Hello all,

I have recently a renovation for my apartment and there's been a few things we are really unhappy about but the contractor think it wasn't an issue and said I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. So far, we have with-held making the balance payment until we come to an agreement. I would like to gather your opinions on these issues and your recommendations. To give you some background, I did not go to a interior designer but a contractor directly but his rates are equivalent to the IDs.  The only reason why I went with him was because a family member recommended him as he could produce good and speedy work (her office engaged him for commercial projects. but he's also done residential projects as well). But unfortunately, I think this contractor took in too many jobs, he's a one-man show so everything goes through him alone.

So here goes -

1) He promised the project could finished within 30days, but it took him 46days. It meant we had to make a lot of last minute logistical changes as we did not have a clear idea when the reno will finish and had to make own guesstimates. There was only 1 sub-con working in the apartment for a week (wet-works), turns out he was very inexperienced and so the tiling works in the bathrooms and the kitchen island had to be redone, wasting time and resources. 

2) We moved into a very dusty home, contractor had engaged cleaning services but because our move-in date kept getting delayed due to slow renovation progress. My guess is he wants to save some money and didn't bother a final cleanup. We were promised a clean home to moved into though but after waiting for 16days, we had no choice but move in.

3) The apartment was only 75% completed at point of moved-in (maybe to contractor its 90% but poor workmanship and loads of missing bits), meaning there were some other 10 to 12 occasions when groups of contractors (sometimes altogether same time 4 to 7pax) will come to install and fixed things. During this time, the apartment was again very dusty, we need about 3 buckets of water minimum to do a simple clean-up. The first 2 buckets were always black and I'm not exaggerating at all.

4) We live in a nice neighbourhood but unfortunately it has a reputation for house-breaking and we are always cautious. Unfortunately, our contractor did not exercise enough caution because one evening when we came by for checks, we realised that our front gates and main door were left open and unattended to. When I mean open, its really like wide-open. The lights were off but inside the apartment were new lightings stocks and accessories we had bought for installation. Water bottles and used cigarette butts littered the front entrance. I immediately contacted the contractor, he was caught unaware and said its likely there's still someone working, we waited for an hour and there was no one. So we locked up and left. Next morning, I demanded an explanation but the contractor took it very lightly, his response was 'Will meh? Sg so safe?' and proceeded to tell me how sometimes he leaves his main door open when he goes to bed. Not a word of apology. This is highly unacceptable to us. Has anyone encounter such things before? Nothing was lost but the fact he brushed off responsibility so lightly is disappointing. 

5) We ordered a set of steel balcony doors. I asked for a perspective drawing as I had previously sent him pinterest examples. He claimed its been ordered and not to worry, it will come out alright. It came without handlers and the only way you can open or close it is by pulling the small hinges (yes all 6 glass panels). The workmanship is also very poor. When I pointed it out, he shockingly said, "this is a special design, only you the owners will know how to open it'. At this point, I find absolutely disgusted by his response. Not professional at all. We asked that he removed this and replaced with a new and properly designed unit but was told if the unit fails within a year, he would then gladly replace.

7) We added stencil graphics on our spray-painted shoe cabinet, but because contractor wanted to save cost, he decided to do it himself. It was unsuccessful many times and as a result, the freshly painted doors were ruined, the paint came off. But each time it was repainted, he would insist on stencilling the graphics himself and each time he failed, so after multiple repaint jobs, my shoe cabinet now has multiple color tones, because they were repainted at different times by different workman.

8) There are many issues with the workmanship, I'm just citing some examples - I believe it all boils down to a lack of supervision from the contractor. After we moved in, we realised the cooking hob wasn't working because it was installed wrongly, dish dryer can't be removed because it was installed the wrong way, brand new aircon dripping bucket of water (he claims this is common), lighting in the living not working and kept flickering (he claimed it was because I added a 2-way switch, but had he informed me this would happen, I would never have requested it), powerpoint switches sinking into the wall so the light switches appear uneven on surface and you can see huge gapping holes beneath, brand new fire-rated door that was ordered too thick and doesn't fit into the existing door frame perfectly, lightings and fans that we placed haphazardly and I point this out, was told I was too particular.

9) As this is an old apartment, walls and floors are not straight, I highlighted it very clearly to him there are 2 particulars ones that need extra work done but the inexperienced wet-work subcon was not informed and so he started work on it, in the end, this had to be redone as well - time wasted.

It is a SGD96K project for a 1200sqft apartment, of course I am particular. But I believe I am very reasonable. I did not rush him when project was delayed as it is better to get a job well-done then a rushed job with poor quality. I understand sometimes when projects are hectic, things can get messy but what I cannot accept is my contractor's attitude. I simplified the work for him so its easy for his sub-con to understand but now he's turned the table to say, 'Can you afford to pay anot?' when I reminded him that I cancelled a more complicated design. He's now claimed I am picking fault with him because I owe him money. His language is seriously offensive.

Have you folks encounter anyone similar? Based on the above - is it fair to deduct his cost?

GL

On 6/22/2015 at 5:13 PM, skoh said:

Would like to share my experience on home renovation specifically about the interior design company and interior designer engaged to renovate my 4-room HDB flat.

In one word, it was a dreadful experience altogether!

This interior design company is N*******t which is quite a big player in the industry and the designer is DK (abbrev.). This young chap DK really CMI (cannot make it) notwithstanding that he is inexperienced. He is slow to respond to my messages and his co-ordination skills (like which activities to be done first, etc) is terrible. Eg, the wall esp where the air-con will be placed needs to be painted before the air-con can be installed. Told him but still did not get workers to paint that area. This is basic and he cannot even do it!

There are many many incidents that pushed me to write my experience in order to share them via this forum with to-be home owners looking for trustable designer and firm to renovate their homes. This designer practically took 4 months to complete the major works….7 months to tie up the loose ends. Is this acceptable? Well, in this industry, the consumers are always very much at the losing end. Even before I signed the contract with the firm, I tried to negotiate adding extra clauses that will safeguard my interests but the designer was reluctant.

Another experience with the designer/firm was that the quality of the workmanship (carpentry work) and goods (windows) are of sub-standard. Eg, Basic stainless steel windows (read carefully, it’s normal stainless steel windows only and not even powdered coated) the colour of the windows was off (colour not even), sharp edges, gaps, etc were found and was told to the designer. Very basic windows and little did I imagine there are so many defects!!! No discolouration, no gaps, no sharp edges are basic requirements. Am I right? They (or their window contractor cannot even supply such) and insisted I have very high standard! Gosh! And the best is that they (designer and contractor and even the designer’s boss) replied: Even your fingers are of different length! (implying no perfection!) Come on, I am not asking for the moon…just asking for the basic standard! My friends who came by during the renovation period told me…this standard of work done you can still accept?!

The very basic that a designer should be cautious of is to protect the floor that has been lay. And again this designer did not! No protection and you expect the flooring be in good condition?! Is it so difficult to do that? Not only has he indirectly tarnished the company image (not that his company’s image is still that reputable) he has also caused the company financial losses (in the form of discount)! Of course, these impacts are none of my business.

To homeowners who are sourcing for ID, please do think twice about engaging this interior designer/firm for your renovation works…the story doesn’t end here…there are many more unacceptable and bad experiences that this designer has left upon me. In short, the service, quality and workmanship by this company, designer and the sub-contractors are way below standard, most importantly, this designer CMI!!! PM me if you would like to know more about the company and designer.

@skoh hello can you do a good deed and PM me your ID? thanks!