Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dba

Need Help!when Should Sign Up For Renovation Package?

Hi all..newbie here..and totally a newbie in all this things..want to ask...currently we just start asking around for quotation/package..our BTO might be ready by end of this year or early 2016..so when should we sign up? Now, few months before key collection or after the key collection?really appreciate on your feedback😊

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Depends on how many id/contractors u have gone to. If you have been to say five of them and all five gave more or less the same quotations, then choose the one you feel most comfortable with. Or if all quotes are too high, relook into your requirements.

To me, I can see some advantages in signing early. If you sign up in a month's time, it will be close to the lunar calendar's seventh month. That's the time where renovation works would be at their low, but also means the ID would have more time in coming up with your design. Go forth and do your enquiries!

What I do caution though is about signing up for anything on the spot. This is a favorite marketing strategy especially for open houses and expo shows. If the packages offered really suit your requirements to every detail, then you can sign up if and only if you think the price is right. But if there's any slightest doubt, don't pick up the pen just yet and tell them you must consider. After all this is not just a few hundred dollars thing - this is your home. :good:

Hi, Thank you for the feedback. when u mention regarding the seventh month does that mean the price will be lower too or just their work?

How is the renovation market actually? will it keep increasing?

Thank you again :D

hi dba,

just like what pdark says, as long as u are comfortable, n price is right, then just carry on.

look at me, i am taking my keys this august and i only confirm my reno in late june,

now i am rushing time to buy lightings, sound system, etc...bcoz need to hide wires behind feature walls...

just like what my id says, u will need at least 2 mths before taking ur keys to prepare.

like design, concepts, 3d drawings will take another 5-7 days, n usually will change designs again.

choosing of flooring , cupboard materials, etc.... then my wife n i had to spend 4 sat n suns to look for

lights, toilets, furniture, blah blah blah.... left with only 1 mth.....headache.

so have more time to prepare will be better.

take care.

I'm not sure about whether price will be lower too. Some ids follow your usual commercialized seasons (GSS, CNY, Xmas, their anniversary etc) and if going by that, there would not be any discounted packages. But for better prices, it's more up to your own negotiation skills (for eg. why this id can offer so and so, can you match this?). That is why I emphasize alot on comparing quotes.

As for renovation market, let's just say it follows your housing market. Expect it to be ever-increasing due to higher cost of labor and some of the materials used. However, for furnishings, you can hold off any purchases for now until year end sales. Meanwhile, some good deals can be found in Renotalk's post-renovation forums. :D

Thank you for the info pDark n alantang..really appreciate:)..a reno company just called n he was saying its super early for me to get quotation when i told him im not rushing for reno n probably getting the key early 2016😥

Do not take into heart what that reno company said. As long as you have a floor plan with scale, there is something that the designer can work on. It's their loss, not yours, for not taking you up!

The reasons why ID would turn you down now (telling you "super early!" and whatnots) are as follows:

1. Too many current projects at hand

2. Budget not up to their expectation (if you tell them you have a 100k budget project, would they not take you up? haha...)

3. Prices are always expected to increase. Suppose you sign up now, today, they would be bounded by today's prices. When say in Jan 2016, prices of certain materials increase... but contract has already been signed! So they can't charge you "accordingly".

4. Higher chance that you would sign up with a particular company when you're closer to key collection date. Right now, you have much freedom to choose but come months later you would have lesser time to decide on which company to do the reno. IDs are after all businesses and they prefer customers who eventually sign up with them and not just merely asking for quotations.

Hi Dba,

ya. some companies dun even want to talk to u when u have not get their keys.

i also have friends taking their keys in 4q 2015 macpherson. and have sign up

with a contractor firm n now are designing their concept too.

i am also looking to meet his id for discussion.

so just look around who knows u might find a suitable one.

no need to stop.

Dba, and all who is reading this -

while loosely tied to this topic but would definitely benefit you all... there's this ongoing SG50 consumer electronic show at the expo right now to 2 Aug. Prices are super!! I've been looking at prices of TVs and right now they are offering at the lowest possible price for each spec and size.

Thank you all for the feedback😄..

Oh great!!im planning to go expo for the home furniture n reno tmr..thanks for the info pDark