Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Yusuff1986

HDB Main Wooden Door Damage

Hi All,

I'm staying in a rented flat and recently my main door got locked from inside by the bar security lock. Locksmith was not reachable and so I tried to release the lock by pushing and pulling the door but in the process the door got jammed and a latch of the door got broken. I have informed my landlord and their agent suggesting to replace the door. Since it's Fire-rated, it is costing around S$1500. Please suggest me If it is right to replace the door or can it be glued and repaired? If it has to be replaced generally, then is there an option to resale the fault door?

P.S: Sorry If it's not the right place to post this query.

Thanks
Yusuff

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Main door must have fire retardant rating, so the door manufacturer must get it certified, thus more expensive.

A latch is just an accessory, so no need certification. If the latch is broken, just replace the latch... but I'm not sure what exactly you meant. Pic would be helpful.

Edited by w7_lee

In my opinion, the damage is aesthetic only. It is just the edge that is intended to overlap with the smaller size door on the right.

This damage is repairable but the problem would be to find a door installer that is willing to do it for you. It is possible to 're-shape' the broken odd shape into a proper rectangular shape. Then fix on a matching piece of rectangular shaped wood. It is a small job and I believe that most door company would rather sell you a new set. But of course you should still call and ask. Maybe ask for their freelance contact number.

Otherwise, if you happen to see your neighbor renovating, better chance if you approach the worker directly and ask if they can do it on their day off. Of course, pay them more to entice them.

But the repair will not be un-noticeable unless the whole door is painted (not varnish). Since it is a rented house, it will depend if your owner can accept it.

Edited by w7_lee

Hi Lee,

That's what exactly I thought and wanted to do too, to replace the broken part with a new rectangular patch piece. But My Owner insisting me on replacing the entire door :( and since it is Fire Rated, they said it would cost around S$1.5K. I seriously regret for not bringing Lock Smith or not making a nice move. May be my bad time. Though My Owner hadn't make a visit, their agent came along with a freelancer, and they suggested to replace the door, may be from their word my owner also insisting for the same. I will hear from my agent by next week. let's see.

Thanks for your suggestion. :)