Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi,

This is my first post and though I did my reno back in 2004, it seems it's not settled yet. I hope to share, like many have done here, in the hope that the same will not happen to you. So here goes.

My dad bought a resale 5rm in Bedok area. We figured the whole house needed to be redone as it seemed nothing could be salvaged. It's a pretty old unit and the 'country' theme just didn't go down very well with us.

So I got a friend who is an ID and we worked together with her usual contractor. The work started in late July 2004. At first, all went pretty well until I noticed the workers going missing. Some days, they were there and some days they weren't. And the days began to stretch. You see, I had two separate contractors working. One was doing wet works and the other, carpentry. The main focus of the story here is the wet works contractor.

The carpentry guy is a Malaysian. His name is A Lek. The work he's done is pretty ok. The only issue is timing. This guy will go missing for days and at one point for almost two weeks. I was considering a substitute until he showed up last minute. He said his daughter had a wedding and during the ceremony some people came into their house and took away all their money. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. :notti: Ok so that's A Lek, the carpenter guy.

The main contractor, who call themselves Basic Projects, have often used A Lek as the cause of the delay. Similarly, A Lek would blame them as well. You see, I signed up with them on the 17th of July 2004. We only managed to move in on 1st December 2004. Anyone broke this record?

My greatest fault in this whole quagmire is that I didn't have the terms in black and white. Working with a friend, I assumed things will be taken care of. I was obviously wrong. The early discovery of this forum might certainly have made the situation better.

Ok so back to Basic Projects (they are also known as Lee Kim Tee Construction). Memorize those names ok. The project supervisor, Ong, is a nice chap but it seems he's quite a slacker and is hardly around. Believe it or not, I ended up being the project supervisor. I realized I got the promotion when the workers started to ask me what to do. For the record, Ong went MIA for two weeks. He went for reservist and didn't tell me. Another highlight of my reno boot camp was the day I came late to open the door for the workers. I believe I was about half and hour late. At that point in time, it was rather difficult to ascertain which days they would be there as I think they might be following the Lunar or maybe some Bohemian type of calender. I forgot to tell them I was using the Gregorian calender. So anyway, I was late, for the first time. I found them already working inside. The main fire rated solid wooden door was broken. Yes, these guys sure know how to get in without a key. Needless to say, it had me furious but I had to keep my cool. I asked for the door to be replaced. Well, that door is still there now. They basically knocked it back and plastered over the cracks before painting it over.

Breaking doors are just some of the obnoxious talent the workers possess. They also love to throw cigarette butts around the house and during that time, the entire living and dining floor area was covered with cardboard. Cigarette butts and cardboard are a nasty combination. Fortunately, nothing happened. They also helped themselves with the toilet. It's bad enough to urinate in the toilets when the owner hasn't even had the chance, they don't even bother to flush. And I have to mention that there was one day I saw solid waste as well. The toilet doors weren't even fixed at that time. :yamseng:

At this point, you might be asking. Aren't you a bit too soft with these guys? Well, not quite. I have confronted Basic Projects on many occasions and was reassured that all will be taken care of. I even, had the manager, Alan, come over for a tea and biscuits. But alas, it was all hot air. We are in the tropics after all.

After the move in, slowly but surely, the after effects of Basic Projects began to show. HDB came to inspect our unit and they found the piping of the basin was channeled wrongly. It was actually connected to the 'air vent' pipe. So I got Basic Projects to get back to basic proper construction work and fix it. At this point all payment had been made except for the last 10%. I guess that's the only correct thing I'd done so far. And so the nightmare continues. The rubbish chute area started to leak.

There's more. Just recently, Starhub came to service a 'faulty' set-up box. Turned out their electrical guy (Basic Projects) short changed us on the works. The splitter for the cable wasn't there and Starhub can have it done, at a price, of course. I also realized the electrician made use of used 2nd owned parts on the house. I highlighted to Alan and he just brushed it off. Seems the 10% is really more important.

Ok, what next? Well, do remember that I am not complaining. Why? It's because I've gone pass that stage. It's so overwhelming you just have to say, I give up. Moving on... Sometime late last year I got another call from HDB. Yes, it's never good news when they call. There seems to be leaking coming in to the unit below. Not one but both toilets. Both are leaking at the same spots, somewhere around the main pipes. It had both HDB and myself baffled. Where is this leaking coming from? Till this day, no one can pinpoint the cause. I've even locked one of our bathrooms and not use it for a month but the leaking continues. The owner below, naturally, blamed it on our reno works. Unfortunately, I don't have any excuses. So right now, I am in the middle of trying to get this situation fixed. Would it be a good idea to get a contractor of my choice or get HDB to provide their contractor? I did call a contractor and he said he didn't want to get involved as the risk of being blamed is there should the leaking persist. And it would be suicidal to get Basic Projects to redo their works. Actually, they agreed to do the work, only after I settle the remaining 10%. After what I've went through, I think they need not come again and I won't be handing over the 10%. Well, they'll have to break through the door again to get it.

Very sorry for the long post. I don't normally write like this but sometimes treating a challenge or problem with some humour does help one see and react with sensibility or at least ease things a little. I'd like to thank the other posters who have shared and contributed here in this forum. Always remember, get the terms and conditions on paper. And do not be eager to settle your payments. Thanks for reading. Cheers. :good:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

think it was 3 yrs ago hence able to portray the terrible experience you've had in a comic tone..

its another life learning experience.. :thumbs up:

Hello

So sad to hear of ur horrendous experience.

So what happened to your friend the ID? Assume that the friendship was spoilt because of what happened? By the way, how long have u known ur friend and have u seen his/her previous projects? before you ask him/her to do your reno?

Hey... Sorry to hear about your story.

I totally agree with both hands and feet that everything needs to be written down in black and white. Those who have read my thread on the Despicable Contractor would have probably seen enough of that from me.

Well.. I think maybe my house kinda 'broke' your record tho... haha. We sign with the ID in March last year and we have yet to move it. Its one year already.

I was also very reluctant to get a friend to do my reno works due to the risk of ruining the friendship coz of $$$. Therefore I got myself someone whom I totally didn't know... and obviously that also wasn't the best idea.

I think its better to get someone whom is not directly related to you but someone whom your friends or relatives have engaged before and with good feedback. That would probably be safer??

Sometimes I feel also that its not just about the renovation period itself... the after-effects are always there. No doubt the reno can be over months ago, but the memories (or rather trauma) of the reno will always be on the mind. A new house is, for many newly weds, supposed to be a love nest where you have sweet memories... but these unethical, irresponsible contractors/IDs have caused so much blemish in this supposedly sweet love nest.... Its unfair.

Lets just hope that maybe one day justice will prevail....

Hello

So sad to hear of ur horrendous experience.

So what happened to your friend the ID? Assume that the friendship was spoilt because of what happened? By the way, how long have u known ur friend and have u seen his/her previous projects? before you ask him/her to do your reno?

Hi,

Well, so far we are still ok. She said she's sorry for what happened. We've been friends since 2001 and yes, I've seen her previous work. I liked the styling which was why I asked her. Anyway, it's just too bad for her that both her contractors gave problems this time round.

The worst part was trying to negotiate with the Alan guy. I spoke to him last month. He felt I was unfair to him for not paying the last 10%. And just for his amusement, he said he doesn't 'really do HDB flats' and that private property is his specialty. So my reno project is like chicken feed for him. It's a $40k ++ job by the way.

I wish I can do more but the best option is to ignore them. I don't have confidence in CASE or any other line of help. No, not because they are incompetent, just my initial ignorance of the much needed black and white. I cannot proceed further if there is no black and white and neither can the contractors. Thanks for all the feedback and replies.

Hi,

This is my first post and though I did my reno back in 2004, it seems it's not settled yet. I hope to share, like many have done here, in the hope that the same will not happen to you. So here goes.

My apology if there's this feeling of hijacking ur thread...jus found my experience incredilibly similar to urs, except mine is a very reputable ID firm

My dad bought a resale 5rm in Bedok area. We figured the whole house needed to be redone as it seemed nothing could be salvaged. It's a pretty old unit and the 'country' theme just didn't go down very well with us.

So I got a friend who is an ID and we worked together with her usual contractor. The work started in late July 2004. At first, all went pretty well until I noticed the workers going missing. Some days, they were there and some days they weren't. And the days began to stretch. You see, I had two separate contractors working. One was doing wet works and the other, carpentry. The main focus of the story here is the wet works contractor.

My story is actually made of many episodes that can be filmed into a 20-episode operaby TCS...

The carpentry guy is a Malaysian. His name is A Lek. The work he's done is pretty ok. The only issue is timing. This guy will go missing for days and at one point for almost two weeks. I was considering a substitute until he showed up last minute. He said his daughter had a wedding and during the ceremony some people came into their house and took away all their money. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. :D Ok so that's A Lek, the carpenter guy.

My carpentry guys can

1. walk off in the middle of work without informing me; :P:)

2. boss of carpentry has the cheek to challenge why i find his men and material are defective when u can see with half of ur eyes closed cracks, loosely fitted panels and doors. :jawdrop:

3. The same boss yell at u at the top of his voice!:):furious::furious:

.......................more n more...............................................

The main contractor, who call themselves Basic Projects, have often used A Lek as the cause of the delay. Similarly, A Lek would blame them as well. You see, I signed up with them on the 17th of July 2004. We only managed to move in on 1st December 2004. Anyone broke this record?

Mine last more than 5 mths, becoz i can no longer tolerate them saying " we'll rectify as we go along....". The more I 'd them here, the more damage they did to the unaffected areas....

My greatest fault in this whole quagmire is that I didn't have the terms in black and white. Working with a friend, I assumed things will be taken care of. I was obviously wrong. The early discovery of this forum might certainly have made the situation better.

Ok so back to Basic Projects (they are also known as Lee Kim Tee Construction). Memorize those names ok. The project supervisor, Ong, is a nice chap but it seems he's quite a slacker and is hardly around. Believe it or not, I ended up being the project supervisor. I realized I got the promotion when the workers started to ask me what to do. For the record, Ong went MIA for two weeks. He went for reservist and didn't tell me. Another highlight of my reno boot camp was the day I came late to open the door for the workers. I believe I was about half and hour late. At that point in time, it was rather difficult to ascertain which days they would be there as I think they might be following the Lunar or maybe some Bohemian type of calender. I forgot to tell them I was using the Gregorian calender. So anyway, I was late, for the first time. I found them already working inside. The main fire rated solid wooden door was broken. Yes, these guys sure know how to get in without a key. Needless to say, it had me furious but I had to keep my cool. I asked for the door to be replaced. Well, that door is still there now. They basically knocked it back and plastered over the cracks before painting it over.

Woodwork was knocking some paper-thin panels with cracks and stress lines and subsequently painting them to cover up.....btw, they were so thin that they won't survive a few A4 size foolscrap papers.

Working areas could be BRAND NEW kitchen hardtop, or area flat console their can lay their eyes or hands on, including a wooden TV console.....

Breaking doors are just some of the obnoxious talent the workers possess. They also love to throw cigarette butts around the house and during that time, the entire living and dining floor area was covered with cardboard. Cigarette butts and cardboard are a nasty combination. Fortunately, nothing happened.

Cigarette butts are the norm....if they r not on the floor, they r on the tables or desks. U can see workers puffing away while sawing, sanding cupboards, wooden panels,etc. They did dat while lacquering with thinner fumes strongly in the air. Protested to the ID several times, she gave excuses that workers need to smoke while working or she oredi told them not to and she can't control them...... :P:)

BEST of all....my BRAND NEW washing machine was used as a ashtray.... :furious::furious:

Good thing was, they immediately offered a brand new one for replacement......So u thought dats not too bad???

The story continues....they changed ONLY the top cover!:yeah:!!....They tried to hoodwinked me that they changed a new one whereas they only bought the cover to change.....Again....lots of crap were said to me....

They also helped themselves with the toilet. It's bad enough to urinate in the toilets when the owner hasn't even had the chance, they don't even bother to flush. And I have to mention that there was one day I saw solid waste as well. The toilet doors weren't even fixed at that time. 8|

Same case here....everyday when i went up to check, both toilets with everything brand new and unused by me were seen with urine and waste floating....as if that were not worse enuff.....they were on the toilet bowls surface where u SIT!:bow:!! Not sure if i have human workers or animals?? :furious::furious:

At this point, you might be asking. Aren't you a bit too soft with these guys? Well, not quite. I have confronted Basic Projects on many occasions and was reassured that all will be taken care of. I even, had the manager, Alan, come over for a tea and biscuits. But alas, it was all hot air. We are in the tropics after all.

So wat, director came up, boss came up....wat came out of it....CRAP, n tons of CRAP......:notti:!:blink::furious::furious::furious:

After the move in, slowly but surely, the after effects of Basic Projects began to show. HDB came to inspect our unit and they found the piping of the basin was channeled wrongly. It was actually connected to the 'air vent' pipe. So I got Basic Projects to get back to basic proper construction work and fix it. At this point all payment had been made except for the last 10%. I guess that's the only correct thing I'd done so far. And so the nightmare continues. The rubbish chute area started to leak.

There's more. Just recently, Starhub came to service a 'faulty' set-up box. Turned out their electrical guy (Basic Projects) short changed us on the works. The splitter for the cable wasn't there and Starhub can have it done, at a price, of course. I also realized the electrician made use of used 2nd owned parts on the house. I highlighted to Alan and he just brushed it off. Seems the 10% is really more important.

Ok, what next? Well, do remember that I am not complaining. Why? It's because I've gone pass that stage. It's so overwhelming you just have to say, I give up. Moving on... Sometime late last year I got another call from HDB. Yes, it's never good news when they call. There seems to be leaking coming in to the unit below. Not one but both toilets. Both are leaking at the same spots, somewhere around the main pipes. It had both HDB and myself baffled. Where is this leaking coming from? Till this day, no one can pinpoint the cause. I've even locked one of our bathrooms and not use it for a month but the leaking continues. The owner below, naturally, blamed it on our reno works. Unfortunately, I don't have any excuses. So right now, I am in the middle of trying to get this situation fixed. Would it be a good idea to get a contractor of my choice or get HDB to provide their contractor? I did call a contractor and he said he didn't want to get involved as the risk of being blamed is there should the leaking persist. And it would be suicidal to get Basic Projects to redo their works. Actually, they agreed to do the work, only after I settle the remaining 10%. After what I've went through, I think they need not come again and I won't be handing over the 10%. Well, they'll have to break through the door again to get it.

Very sorry for the long post. I don't normally write like this but sometimes treating a challenge or problem with some humour does help one see and react with sensibility or at least ease things a little. I'd like to thank the other posters who have shared and contributed here in this forum. Always remember, get the terms and conditions on paper. And do not be eager to settle your payments. Thanks for reading. Cheers. :)

I withheld my payment too, but they went SCT to claim.....

After consulting with MP legal advisor( which was as good as seeing any roadside fortune-teller), i told myself to save myself from further undue time,stresses,unhappiness....I gived in n compromised on the amt claimed. So I treated my $40K lesson as one of my most dear n hard-earned lesson in my life....n Always read the fine print n Black n White n don't listen to hear-say reputation

Remember.....Expensive n Famous NOT==== good service or quality!:P!

Sorry to hear of your woes. I think you've highlighted what many people have missed when looking for a contractor.

The contractor should be able to control their sub-contractors and their workers.

I got my contractor to re-install the windows. She got a sub-contractor approved by the HDB to do the job. As they removed the old one, they literally sent concrete flying out the flat. It landed on the cars below and someone complained. It escalated to my contractor and then to me. She told me she'd settle it. Eventually, she told off her sub-contractor and made him answerable to HDB and any damages.

Those who were directly under her, she made sure they cleaned up the mess outside the flat every evening. She delayed the installation of the toilet bowls till the last so that they won't mess it up. By the way, if there isn't a toilet bowl, they'll usually do it straight into the hole.

Cigarette butts are a norm and if you hacked up your floor 20 years later, you'd probably see some fossils of them. But it was extremely inconsiderate of them to throw it into the washing machine!

I laminated my living and bedroom floor, so hopefully, they removed them before it was laid. I must say that it feels lumpy at certain places.

I did get the contractor through a friend. My friend is a developer and if the contractor didn't do a good job with my place, the contractor wouldn't have further business with my friend. Actually, my friend pre-warned me that the onus is on me to check prices and look around. And that our friendship should not be affected by what happens to the reno.

Regards.

Edited by whoareyou

About the toilet part: If we do not let the workers use our toilets, then where would they go? My only grouse is that they better make sure they clean up lor, same for ciggrette butts, food packets and all.

guys, u are not alone! me too, over 4mths reno!

check out my blog.

my battery flat liao...

Thanks for sharing. I've read your blog. Goodness, the things these contractors do. Actually, I feel compelled to write a DIY manual for house renovation. Believe it or not, I've got a friend who knows someone who's so fed up with all this contractor crap that he decided to do the reno himself. Laying of the tiles included. Ok, maybe that a bit far fetched for most of us. :jawdrop:

With regards to contrators using the toilet, I guess that's a grey area. Previously, I did request for the contrators NOT to use the WC after some unsightly event. They continued as normal. They can't help it I guess. The water hole just beckons. They can head to the nearby coffeeshop but that requires a higher level of integrity which you wouldn't expect from most people these days.

This bring back some painful memories of a reno that I did some years back. Though I laugh at it now when I think back. Alhough I did not had it as bad as the experience stated by Yummygum.

Some of my experience:

- a simple 3 week reno became a 3 to 4 month long wait.

- Illegal worker caught on my permise.

- Marble floor defaced

- Missing workers who disappear for days.

- and so on.

Just have to move on and file it as a learning experience.

Edited by AhRen

Check on the material they use for the renovation. For my renovation i discovered they use a low graded material against what was agreed.