Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rodeo

Toilet water seepage after HDB HIP (Home Improvement Programme)

Looking for help and advise, sorry for the lengthy post.

We are living in a type 4A HDB, built around the 80's (we bought resale flat, renovated 100% before moving in about 10 years back).

Few days back, my neighbour complaint about water seepage on their master bedroom toilet, brownish water near the main waste pipe (PVC) and some patches about 20-30 cm around that. This leak started about 2-3 months back.  There is also some liquid flowing down from the side of the pipe from the ceiling (seems sipping from the edges between pipe and concrete).  For the background, the whole estate is undergoing major HDB's HIP (Home Improvement Programme) and she had her HIP done on her flat about a year back.  Her toilets was part of the upgrading (standard HIP package i.e. toilet bowl & basin change, retiling etc including ceiling spalling concrete repair in toilet).    We opt out of the HIP due to full reno done before we moved in, and  as we opted out, water leak test was done prior to that in order for HDB to approve that (standard HDB procedure complied).  In our toilet, the area near the main waste pipe is raised, and the major part of our toilet floor where the leak is seen below is always dry (toilet bowl (WC), basin etc); The only wet area is the shower area.   My neighbour had came to see our toilet for themselves and was puzzled too.  There was no complaint of such leak prior to the HIP.

I recalled that in case of any renovation done on the HDB flat within a certain time (say 1 / 2 years??), the owner of that flat which done the recent reno had been done, shall be responsible for any repair done for example such as above?

I suggested to my neighbour that since the HIP contractor had done the works just recently and for the reasons above (leak test done on our toilet, no prior leak nor complaints of water leakage before the HIP), she should pursue the issue with the HIP contractor.  But it appears that the HIP contractor, who is still around in our estate, suggested that the repair should be made from our side to our toilet.  I have told my neighbour that I would not entertain the HIP contractor if they would to tell me to do the repair from my side.

Would it be better for her to complain directly to HDB as I am assuming that eventually HDB will force the HIP contractor to repair on their side under warranty from the programme?

As my toilet floor at that corresponding affected area is always dry, I really cannot find a reason what kind of repair we should do on our end, not to mention the hassle of going through the hacking, waterproofing and retiling of our toilet.  And it appears that the leak could be from the main PVC pipe and water starting to seep through the concrete (losened during the HIP of my neighbour), and therefore wouldnt help even if repair is done from our side?

I read in another old post here that one way to resolve is to grind off the ceiling surface of the affected area, wash and paint Xypex, and then repaint.   

Any suggestions would be much appreciate.

cheers, 

rodeo

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi rodeo;

We have a similar situation, our neighbour downstairs complained about  toilet ceiling leaking.

We have opt out of HIP toilet upgrade and we have also pass HDB's water test.

However, the HIP contractor only change our cast iron main pipe to PVC pipe.

Now after one year, neighbour downstairs complained ceiling leaking.

May I know how did you resolve your case?

I was also told by HDB officer that I have to pay (full) for the repair (no sharing cost with neighbour or HDB) because we have opt out of HIP. Did you get this reply from HDB as well?

Tks

naes

Hi please help!  We opted out of the HIP and passed the water test.  We did NOT do any other Reno works in my flat.  My downstairs neighbour then did the HIP Reno works.

About almost a year later, the HIP contractor said we needed to do another water test, as my neighbour complained that water was leaking from their ceiling (ie from my toilet above).  We failed the 2nd water test. 

HIP contractor said we needed to co-pay with neighbour for the repair to their ceiling.

I did not do any HIP or any other renovations to my flat and had passed the 1st water test before my neighbour even started their HIP Reno.  It was only AFTER my neighbour completed their HIP works that the  leaks started and I failed my 2nd water test.

Can I pls get advise, shouldn’t the repair costs be borne by the HIP contractor instead of the homeowners co-paying, since the leaks happens as a result of the badly done HIP works?

Appreciate help please!  Thanks v much!

Desperate Homeowner

Hi All

Even if your floor is dry it does not mean no leakage guys. If the unit above has water leaking it is from your unit ... period. The water test didn't show any leaking probably because during that time your water proofing hasn't gave way. You should in fact get your own contractor to rectify it for free. Water proofing if supposed to last over 10-20 years. They obviously didn't do a good job for you. You can't insist to have your neighbor pursue the HIP contractor, as you have opt out of the HIP programme. So if any leakage happens afterward you will be liable. The unit below shouldn't be ask to bear any additional cost. 

In my case, before HIP my neighbor's toilet also leaks water into my unit. They agreed to have it repaired but i have to pay half of the charge (really unfair but since that is the policy of all housing in Singapore I has no choice). Later we had the HIP and they opt out because they passed the water test. But 1 year after the HIP, the pipe starts to leak .. if you are in this situation do you think it is fair for us to pay half for the 1st time, then HIP cost then pay again? no its not. 

So it is only fair that you go to the right people to get it resolved or your neighbor will be placed in a very unfair situation .. bearing in mind that they didn't do anything to deserve this. And the reno contractor made mistake not need to pay for it. Right? 

TS i think in your case its better you alert your town council and hdb as well including the contractor, because in your case this does not seem to be your fault at all in my opinion