Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mamarizq

Bomb Shelter Feature Wall

Hi guys.. Thinking of installing feature wall at bomb shelter area for my 4 room BTO.. It will cover up all e way to the common toilet and end at e MBR entrance.. Wat do u tink of dis?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I think you need to put the layout of your flat to let us see.

Offhand, why do you need to go all the way until the common toilet? Usually people cover up the bomb-shelter door area. To go to the toilet and MBR seems excessive and it will be very expensive.

An interesting idea. You could basically hide the whole length of the wall, and the doors including the bomb shelter, toilet, MBR etc such that it looks like one continuous wall. Could look quite sleek.

In order to do this, will requires quite a bit of carpentry though and that will add to cost signficantly.

I think you need to put the layout of your flat to let us see.

Offhand, why do you need to go all the way until the common toilet? Usually people cover up the bomb-shelter door area. To go to the toilet and MBR seems excessive and it will be very expensive.

Hi LionFlyer,

Yes, i initially wanted to go for that.. But ID said it wont look nice to have an extra wall juz at one spot.. so he suggested to extend all e way till the MBR door.. sorry im not good at explaining.. i hooe u got my idea?

An interesting idea. You could basically hide the whole length of the wall, and the doors including the bomb shelter, toilet, MBR etc such that it looks like one continuous wall. Could look quite sleek.

In order to do this, will requires quite a bit of carpentry though and that will add to cost signficantly.

Hey greglhc,

My ID proposed this idea.. I thought it look quite nice.. was quoted abt $2.7k for it.. but i do wonder wat are e cons of doing so apart from the limited space? :huh:

I see, the feature wall extend to Bathroom 2 to make it seamless.

But how would the door to the bathroom look like? Your common bathroom door will be open and close many times more than the bomb-shelter door and the design needs to cater for it and should be reliable. Is it a normal door with the feature wall grafted infront? Or using PVC bi-fold or glass?

Also, unlike a TV feature wall, this will be installed at the walkway to the rooms and the chances of getting it damaged at some point is pretty high. As other people point out, it will also look cramp, especially if you do both sides of the wall to make it symmetrical (opposite to the bomb-shelter, bedroom 2 and 3).

If you can live with this and you can afford it, then by all means, its your money.

Edited by LionFlyer

I see, the feature wall extend to Bathroom 2 to make it seamless.

But how would the door to the bathroom look like? Your common bathroom door will be open and close many times more than the bomb-shelter door and the design needs to cater for it and should be reliable. Is it a normal door with the feature wall grafted infront? Or using PVC bi-fold or glass?

Also, unlike a TV feature wall, this will be installed at the walkway to the rooms and the chances of getting it damaged at some point is pretty high. As other people point out, it will also look cramp, especially if you do both sides of the wall to make it symmetrical (opposite to the bomb-shelter, bedroom 2 and 3).

If you can live with this and you can afford it, then by all means, its your money.

basically there will be 2 tic tac doors (bomb shelter and common toilet).. for e toilet the door will be coated wif PVC layer so it wun damage e door wen contact wif water.. will only be doing one side of e wall..

actually im rather skeptical abt it too..coz i'll be staying dere long term and like u wat u mentioned abt the toilet door being open/close many times, i do wonder abt e impact it'll cause few years down e road.. :dunno:

If I understand the design, I think it is most impractical and will be a waste of money.

Toilet door opens inwards. I don't know how your ID is going to make a tic tac door that opens inwards. And tic tac doors are unreliable, easily spoilt. Your visitor may be trapped inside the toilet!

Bomb shelter door opens outwards but is very heavy. How to do a tic tac door for such a heavy door?

I suppose you can built the entire structure outside the original doors, but this will make your corridor so cramped, and you need to open two doors to get to the toilet! Easier to just go to the other toilet.

Bomb shelter door opens outwards but is very heavy. How to do a tic tac door for such a heavy door?

Not uncommon for bomb shelter feature wall to have tic-tac door. But it is a second door. You open the tic-tac door first (which open outwards), then you open the bomb shelter door.

I agree with the rest of your point. I also dunno how his ID can propose tic-tac door for the common toilet. TS should just ask the ID how.