Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
PinkTissue

Home Reinvented

My original blog is here - My link

I think I shot myself in the foot with the original title of my blog. My minor reno really become a very, very slow upgrading process :curse:

I am glad to say that other than some odd and ends, my reno is ALMOST completed. Part of the delay of the reno is my fault. I changed my mind several times. And part of it is the contractor. I told him that it is an embarrassment to tell that my minor upgrading is still not completed after 3+ months. I think most people would have given an ultimatum to the contractor. But then, I also did never chase (as in yelling but I nag nag nag) and the contractor did eventually finish most of the work which I liked. He threw in a lot of FOC stuff because of the delay. And because since it it delayed so long, I really QC, QC and QC. Since delay so long, what is another delay of another few days as long as they are fixed to my liking? So one delay after the other, the delay becomes such a big one that my unit become 'famous' for the never-ending reno and it becomes a major point of embarrassment for both the contractor and me :lol:

I decided to do a new blog because I did not use quite a number of items I originally planned.

Edited by PinkTissue

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

First up, the dining area.

Nothing major. Except I finally got new lighting over a new dining table. I actually wanted to get a 'fussy' light, but then I sort of fell in love when I saw this simple light. It has a long enclosed glass casing where you put in Swarovski crystals. They came pre-packed with 50 transparent Swarovski crystals but I added a lot more and added some colored ones like red and pink. You cannot quite tell from the picture, but there are subtle pink and red lights. My contractor suggested that I put in my tiny Swarovski figurines so it could be even cuter. Nah....they are staying at my display cabinet. I also got a new picture. Some told me I should get a gold frame for the picture but since the crystal light is somewhat modern looking, I thought getting a simple frameless oil painting would do. I also got a new dining table which could sit 6 people. My late mum always wanted to get a bigger dining table but before I could take her to the shop to see the dining table, her medical condition deteriorated and passed away. I had a crying fit at the shop when I went to the shop to pay for the dining set :-( Hope my mum would love the table when she comes and 'visit' me.

8477743235_7c52836f00_b.jpg

Living Room 1 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Another pic of the light without switching on the light - you can see the colored Swarovski crystals I added in.

8481997838_f0e5cca230_b.jpg

light by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Nice dining chairs. One suggestion: if ur dining table is nice, try removing the current table top cover. In my opinion, it kinda spoilt the overall looks.

Next Up, the living room area. I love the curtains. The flowers and birds are not prints but they are sewn on. Difficult to find this type of work anymore. And yes, they are expensive. Ouch.

8478835024_f91d60f101_b.jpg

Living Room 6 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

8478833392_eed947aa42_b.jpg

Living Room 4 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

My sister HATED this Grandpa arm chair. Whistle.....

8478831550_2445d151dd_b.jpg

Living Room 2 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

The 'background' of the sofa set are wall tiles. I hate wallpaper because they are hard to maintain. As these tiles are 3 dimensional, I got guests walking to the wall and touch the tiles.

8478833392_eed947aa42_b.jpg

Living Room 4 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

The gold frame to the wall tiles. At first I am not sure whether to get a gold frame for the tiles but I think it 'set' the tiles and make them the centre of attraction. And.... :furious: my dear Mr Contractor thought they cost $2 per metre. Every time he mentioned about going beyond the budget, I start to remind him about the actual price of the gold frame. My hand is shaking when taking the picture so this pic is slightly blur. I also got an antique looking standing fan to fit in the deco of the room.

8480949811_e262364397_b.jpg

Frame by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Close up of wall tile

8105861284_0237ea4085.jpg

tiles rust by PinkTissue, on Flickr

And my piano area. The piano cover is a taobao find.

8478836762_f75799588c_b.jpg

Living Room 5 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

I have not taken pics of the other parts of the living room as I did not change them. They still fit in with the overall deco. I want to change the TV feature area and the walk-in area with the shoe cabinets plus another whole wall of built-in cabinets. But since I am not sure what to do (if I want to include them is this reno, it would take many more months). I probably would change my TV feature area end of this year but until I can finialise what I really want, they are going to stay for the time being.

Some people told me that I have too much things going on. With my 'in-the-face' wall tiles, I should have opted for a plain beige color sofa set when I sent them in for re-holstering earlier. But I love roses and patterns. So go fly kite :dancingqueen: A note on re-holstering - it cost as much as getting a new sofa set. But this particular sofa set got sentimental value. When my mum was first diagnozed with cancer, I bought her to a furniture shop to buy a new sofa set so she could rest and sleep in the living area while she recuperates from a major operation and not be stuck in the bedroom all the time. With my laptop, I could keep my mum company in the living room while she rested. My mum always said that the sofa set is one of the better buys so when I renovate the house, I could not bear to throw the sofa set out.

Edited by PinkTissue

Nice dining chairs. One suggestion: if ur dining table is nice, try removing the current table top cover. In my opinion, it kinda spoilt the overall looks.

I totally AGREE. But my dear sister think it looks 'okay'. Ha, now I am vindicated. Time to sneakily change the table top cover.

Next up, the Master Bedroom.

8477756135_d948682f3b_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 6 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

I love the blue curtains which match my wall tiles.

8477758673_ae51ca06d3_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 2 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Close up of my antique looking white fan to fit in deco of room. It is a taobao find. It arrived unfortunately with a small crack at the base and there are dirty parts which I could not not clean. Well, I console myself that it is a shabby look fan and since the defects are not obvious, I would leave with it.

8477757071_567028481f_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 3 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

A close-up my bed headboard. My dear Mr Contractor way it looks soooo plain and suggested the roses be painted entirely in gold. Ha....even though I like gold,it is TOO MUCH to have gold roses. Btw, the bed frame and bed counter (free with bed frame) is a taoboa find. I didn't read the description carefully and discovered to my horror that it is too long at 2 m. The king size mattress is only 1.93m so there is a7 cm gap. Also I am not sure whether the frame could hold the weight of my heavy mattress. Thank goodnness Mr Contractor came to the rescue and get a carpenter to fix it for me.

8477750951_9d48d78e09_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 4 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

A small blue carpet and bedroom slippers to match the deco.

8477753241_54a26781e9_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 5 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Edited by PinkTissue

Area in front of the bed. The Chee-na cupboard is a taoboa find. I have to negotiate with the factory to get the custom size. It is hand painted and then lacquered. As I placed my order during winter, I waited for a long time before the cupboard could be dried thoroughly and shipped to Singapore. The chair beside the cupboard would be moved to the guest room once I tidied up the guest room. Mr Contractor kept disturbing Mr Rabbit and would turn him upside down every time he is here. The painting is also a taobao find. It matches the wall tiles, curtains and the cupboard.

8477753809_018545abea_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 7 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Close-up of the cupboard. I love the details of the hinges and lock that make the cupboard so Chee-na. I requested for a butterfly lock with a key. It is so cute.

8481080467_54c02a58c8_b.jpg

Butterfly Lock by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Some of my stuff on the cupboard. And yes, it is a working phone with all the functions like call logs.

8478855510_403ac2a7e2_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 10 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

My tiny vanity area with hidden storage and a mirror which could be lifted up. The leopard chair was banished from the living room as my sister hated it. So in revenge, I bought a grandpa chair (see above) which my sister hated more.

8478847582_db0c8f2257_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 11 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Edited by PinkTissue

'Blush' A gold dustbin below my vanity. Very 暴发户, right?

8478854438_4675dd5b0e_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 12 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Who's there

8478848746_24e27102d0_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 13 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Oh, it is Ms Poodle guarding my walk in wardrobe. I love the bedside counter that looks like a stack of books. Each 'book' is a drawer which can be pulled out.

8478851838_1d6662849b_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 14 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

I always wanted a proper walk-in-wardrobe. Given the reality of size of rooms in Singapore, it is impossible to get one of those spacious walk-in-wardrobe unless you want to sacrifice one room. Well, I did not want so I convert the existing cupboard area. It is a tiny walk-in-wardrobe, but it is a proper walk-in-wardrobe.

Before renovation

8482344964_5aae9f2b7a.jpg

Old Cupboards by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Transformation to walk-in-wardrobe

8478851188_f7b368eae9_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 16 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Close-up of door pulls. They are brass handles and very, very heavy. I initially was thinking of one of those acrylic and gold metal type handles you see at Kings and Wong but they look really cheap and I don't want cheap-looking handles to spoil the whole look. As Mr Contractor also do reno work at hotel, I asked him to see whether those 5-star hotels throw out one of those door handles. He looked at me and said that those would be melted for money already. He finally found a factory that could make those antique looking handles. They are not cheap but they looked great on the sliding doors. I feel as though I am in some expensive boutique every time I pushed them.

8477765639_7c7a209dd9_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 17 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

The walk-in-wardrobe area is an awkward area. I cannot find a suitable carpet to cover up the whole area and custom size carpet is too expensive. So I decided to put a wine-red sheep skin on the floor instead of a carpet. It is real sheep skin so they are really soft compared to a faux one. It is a taobao find so it is much cheaper than those sold in Singapore.

8482241972_71b05bbf6d_b.jpg

Carpet by PinkTissue, on Flickr

My crystal light in the walk-in-wardrobe. My friend said I 'wasted' this crystal light by putting in the walk-in-wardrobe and can only be seen by me. I called it the Venetian light because it got handpainted flowers on the glass dome. It was love at first sight and I fought with my friend to buy this light. It is the last piece and I got it at a whopping 70% off after I asked the shop to switch the smaller Swarovski crystals to Egyptian crystal instead of using Swarovski crystal. The bigger pieces are still Swarovski crystal.

8477766765_1e3197a30e_b.jpg

Master Bedroom 18 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Edited by PinkTissue

The walk-in-wardrobe leads to the master bedroom bathroom. I changed my mind 3 times over the tiles AFTER the tiles arrived at my place. I am on Soon Bee Huat's black list. In the end I have chosen this flower tiles. According to Soon Bee Huat, I am the second customer to buy the tiles. After I see the bill, I knew why. They are Egyptian tiles and they are even MORE expensive than the tiles from ang moh country. Ouch :~

8479119484_f20bec11fb_b.jpg

Master toilet 5 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

8479118482_6b9c9df6df_b.jpg

Master toilet 6 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Towel Ring from taobao

8479105264_cc9e6e35f3_b.jpg

Master toilet 14 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Cough, cough. My swan tap.

8479124110_1a3dbc29f4_b.jpg

Master toilet 1 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

The countertop is marble with a horrible name call salome. It is such a beautiful color with flakes of pink, gold and rust but it got such a horrible name.

8479122508_57f611ae88_b.jpg

Master toilet 3 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

The other corner of my master bedroom with a tiny table to place my towels. Mr Contractor gave me a LOOK when I asked him to put a chandelier in the bathroom.

8479116656_8e5a52e3eb_b.jpg

Master toilet 7 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Love the full length mirror. A note on having wooden stuff in bathroom. Make sure you get kiln dried teak mirrors because of the moisture in bathroom. Even the vanity cupboard which houses my sink are made of teak.

8479110804_6d5fe47218_b.jpg

Master toilet 10 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Close-up detail of my custom wrought-iron table with purple roses to match the purple flower tiles. A note on putting wrought-iron cabinets/shelf/table in bathroom. Make sure they are galvanized so that they would not rust and become a pile of dust. Mine was galvanised twice - not the paint type galvanised but actually submerged to a tank of chemical to galvanize them.

8477995281_7af9322a6b_b.jpg

Master toilet 9 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Mr Contractor has put a layer of lacquer on the wall tiles to protect them in the bathroom.

8478026437_535754d801_b.jpg

Master toilet 8 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Shower area.

8479087166_a24f9677da_b.jpg

Master toilet 16 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Bling bling. Gold shower set. The lady who sold this to me wants a picture of my bathroom after I install this shower set.

8479107136_d0fb14bf66_b.jpg

Master toilet 13 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

8479076228_05a5887dec_b.jpg

Master toilet 2 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

The parapet with towel tack, area to put my washing stuff and a place to seat while showering and thinking of the deep mysteries of the universe. Initially, wanted to have a marble slab for the parapet but Mr Contractor said using my wall tiles would look nicer.I got a strange urge to put a plant at the corner of the towel rack but think it would not fit in the deco.

8478016501_ce72513a15_b.jpg

Master toilet 15 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Generally quite pleased with how my bathroom turned out. Mr Contractor always shake his head when he step into the bathroom. He said it is too girly for his taste. He initially wanted to do a totally black bathroom with gold mosaic. I put a stop to it because I think it is too masculine and I shudder at the thought of a mostly black bathroom.

Edited by PinkTissue

Second Bed Room. Originally, everything is brown with built in wardrobe, storage cupboards and table. We re-laminate it and Frenchify it and have a custom made storage bed.

8478862998_1ae1d0a470_b.jpg

Sis 2 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

8478861952_d7d4895f25_b.jpg

Sis 4 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

8477772177_bb7dc69d6d_b.jpg

Sis 3 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Details of door knobs/pull for cupboards and drawers.

8477774237_ffa24a10a9_b.jpg

Sis 6 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

8477773075_5e8f15a17b_b.jpg

Sis 5 by PinkTissue, on Flickr

Edited by PinkTissue