Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
skyy

Overlay Tiles In Toilet Or Hack?

Hi,

Will be getting my resale flat soon. Wanted to renovate both the toilets flooring.

Was thinking is it advisable to overlay the tiles rather than hacking them away? Will there be any problem if i do overlay for the toilet?

Any idea how much it cost to hack the floor? Any recommendation and advise?

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi,

Will be getting my resale flat soon. Wanted to renovate both the toilets flooring.

Was thinking is it advisable to overlay the tiles rather than hacking them away? Will there be any problem if i do overlay for the toilet?

Any idea how much it cost to hack the floor? Any recommendation and advise?

Thanks!

We choose to do overlaying for our toilet flooring as its is a cheaper alternative. All contractors we approach told us overlaying is better, thus we did not find out the cost.

My dad told me that overlaying is not good as it will crack over the years, but we are not sure if it is true as just started to reno only...

to: vysweetapple & skyy

1st to skyy, I would like to check with you on the location of your Resale HDB apt. 2nd thing is to check with you on the age of your resale hdb apt. If your apt that you've bought over is at least 6yrs old & above, I would strongly recommend you to hack & re-do the floor tiles because:

Yes, overlaying will be cheaper as you need not pay for the hacking of the existing tiles. But the problem with overlaying is that cement does not stick well on a smooth surface such as wall tiles even with chemical adhesive added. So theres a possibility of tiles popping out prematurely. You have to decide between saving a thousand plus dollars & risk having tiles falling out / popping out in a year or two or paying a fraction more of the overall amount & having the peace of mind.

Design is all about practicality & aesthetics.

to: vysweetapple & skyy

1st to skyy, I would like to check with you on the location of your Resale HDB apt. 2nd thing is to check with you on the age of your resale hdb apt. If your apt that you've bought over is at least 6yrs old & above, I would strongly recommend you to hack & re-do the floor tiles because:

Yes, overlaying will be cheaper as you need not pay for the hacking of the existing tiles. But the problem with overlaying is that cement does not stick well on a smooth surface such as wall tiles even with chemical adhesive added. So theres a possibility of tiles popping out prematurely. You have to decide between saving a thousand plus dollars & risk having tiles falling out / popping out in a year or two or paying a fraction more of the overall amount & having the peace of mind.

Design is all about practicality & aesthetics.

Hi joe_ling,

Thanks for the advise. My flat is 5 years old. How much is it to hack the floor for two toilets?

Skyy, Can I engage you in a pte msg session as I can only provide advices in here & not here to talk about pricing nor to promote anything. I have to abide by the rules in here. I hoped that you can understand me. Thanks.