Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mlsh

Scv Activation Problem

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have problem with SCV activating the TV points?

Sorry for the long post.

My scenario:

I called SCV before and asked they whether is my area signal activated. They said it is. I asked them whether in order to add, move TV points must I asked SCV only to do it? They said we can find our own contractor to do it.

After the TV points is shifted and additional points is installed, (reno almost done), I installed the TV and tried to tune the TV but I could not get any channel. Called SCV and SCV said that my unit is not activated yet. I was like huh?!?! I thought activate mean whole block activate? And they said they will need to send a guy to check and activate the points. They even told me that my unit was not activated as when SCV change the points for the block, no one is staying in the unit so the point was not activated. I was like huh?!?! the point was firstly done by SCV in the first place, u mean SCV do not trust their own skill of activating the points? Is activating the TV points so difficult?

Last Friday (25/01/2008), took leave and waited for the SCV guy to come down. He came and told me that he cannot activate the points as the splitter and connector outside the house was stolen. Then told me I can either call HDB to come and do it and wait and then arrange another day for SCV to come down or can let him do it at a fees, splitter $20+, each connector $0.50. I was like huh?!?! U think I am really that free to keep taking leave? But I called HDB and HDB send their guy immediately.

Next he checked on my points, and he said cannot, want to see the original points (which is inside the false wall). He said must knock the wall to see the points. I was like huh?!?!? knock the wall? then it would be very troublesome for me. My reno is already almost completed left the mirror. Then he said something about my splitter in the house. He said although HDB has approved it but SCV has not. I was like huh?!?!? HDB approve but not SCV??!?!? Wat is this?

While HDB guy was fixing the connector, I heard the HDB guy asked the SCV guy, want to connect? The SCV guy said no cuz failed. Now I know that to activate the signal is just to connect the cable connector together.

The SCV guy "activated" my points in store room cuz is not modified before and connect my hall and mbr points to MATV (old roof top antenna). I can tune to normal TV program now but a bit blur. I think I heard before they are going to remove the antenna, so how am I going to watch TV then? Then he told me I cannot use SCV services like internet or cable services then. Told me either I knock the wall to let him see the connect (which might also not be approved by him, then have to pay for his service to rewire again) or pull SCV cable line into the house using their service which of cuz cost $$$. I am stuck here.

I called SCV today to complain about the situation and they told me my area is already activated!:)!! Waiting for that guy to call me back.

I want to know whether if I got the new flat and first thing is to activate the point and then if I change the points, SCV will not know. So what is the different now???? They just want us to use their own people so that they can earn $$$???? And if I know that the SCV connector outside is missing, if I did not call SCV down to check and just called HDB to replace it, then the signal will still be activated. Why is SCV making life so difficult.

Anyone experiencing all this crap from SCV? Want to share? And what happen in the end?

Edited by mlsh

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

What the HDB and SCV people said are true, unfortunately.

This is what I understood:

HDB build the flats and appointed a contractor to lay the cables, whom is at the same time approved by SCV. Thus, SCV trust this contractor for their job. However, everytime HDB build a block of flats, SCV cannot follow them to go around activating every unit; not economical. So all TV points are connected to HDB's antenna by default until someone buys an unit and call SCV to come and connect the TV points to SCV's cable.

Further complications come in when we do renovation; as we all will experience, the TV points are always shifted according to our designs, but of course we will get our own electrician to do it. This is the issue; SCV only trust that HDB's contractor, but not your electrician. So they will only activate those points laid by the HDB's contractor, ie the original points.

The reason for doing this is that in any case where the signal becomes bad, SCV will cover all costs to repair it. So its only fair to them that from the SCV's cables underground right to the TV point, no one else touches anything except for their own contractors. Realised on the original points, there is a sticker from HDB that says no tampering.

Also, when they 'activate' the points, they will put another sticker on it with starhub's logo. This is the so-called 'warranty' for them to be responsible for that TV point. Well you could activate the points straight after getting the keys and shift them thereafter, but the key don't get caught lor. If anything happens and they realised that it had been tampered with, they have the right not to be responsible to repair it.

What the HDB and SCV people said are true, unfortunately.

This is what I understood:

HDB build the flats and appointed a contractor to lay the cables, whom is at the same time approved by SCV. Thus, SCV trust this contractor for their job. However, everytime HDB build a block of flats, SCV cannot follow them to go around activating every unit; not economical. So all TV points are connected to HDB's antenna by default until someone buys an unit and call SCV to come and connect the TV points to SCV's cable.

Further complications come in when we do renovation; as we all will experience, the TV points are always shifted according to our designs, but of course we will get our own electrician to do it. This is the issue; SCV only trust that HDB's contractor, but not your electrician. So they will only activate those points laid by the HDB's contractor, ie the original points.

The reason for doing this is that in any case where the signal becomes bad, SCV will cover all costs to repair it. So its only fair to them that from the SCV's cables underground right to the TV point, no one else touches anything except for their own contractors. Realised on the original points, there is a sticker from HDB that says no tampering.

Also, when they 'activate' the points, they will put another sticker on it with starhub's logo. This is the so-called 'warranty' for them to be responsible for that TV point. Well you could activate the points straight after getting the keys and shift them thereafter, but the key don't get caught lor. If anything happens and they realised that it had been tampered with, they have the right not to be responsible to repair it.

Hi zirhk3355,

Do you have any advise on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Try calling again for another person to come and activate?

For me it was lucky; after a few packets of drinks and some sweet words, the guy pasted the starhub sticker on the TV point in my feature wall, which is in the middle of the room and the cable ran under the parquet by my electrician.

You do realised that the gist of this lies heavily on that guy who come and inspect your house; so do your best to tackle him lor. For the guy who came to my flat, his rationale was that as long as signal is strong then he will activate and paste the sticker, dun care if original or not.

Try calling again for another person to come and activate?

For me it was lucky; after a few packets of drinks and some sweet words, the guy pasted the starhub sticker on the TV point in my feature wall, which is in the middle of the room and the cable ran under the parquet by my electrician.

You do realised that the gist of this lies heavily on that guy who come and inspect your house; so do your best to tackle him lor. For the guy who came to my flat, his rationale was that as long as signal is strong then he will activate and paste the sticker, dun care if original or not.

Hi,

Thanks for your advise.

That what I wanted to tell them. As long as the signal is stronger enough, I dun find it a problem. Instead of causing so much problem.

Now still waiting for SCV to call me back.

Hi,

Thanks for your advise.

That what I wanted to tell them. As long as the signal is stronger enough, I dun find it a problem. Instead of causing so much problem.

Now still waiting for SCV to call me back.

Hmmz, u dun get it. If you fight it the 'proper' way, you are at the losing end because they have every right not to activate for you, due to tampering of the TV points by your electrician.

What i was suggesting is for you to call again to get someone down to activate the TV point, pretend that its your first time. From what I know they are abit messy and sometimes will just activate their contractors to come down without checking past records. Just cross your fingers that they won't check lor...

Hmmz, u dun get it. If you fight it the 'proper' way, you are at the losing end because they have every right not to activate for you, due to tampering of the TV points by your electrician.

What i was suggesting is for you to call again to get someone down to activate the TV point, pretend that its your first time. From what I know they are abit messy and sometimes will just activate their contractors to come down without checking past records. Just cross your fingers that they won't check lor...

Hi,

Thanks, will try.... hope it turns out good this time round.

Hi folks,

A bit blur here. I bought a new flat from HDB (actually already people staying there for few years cos leftover from SERS allocation) and got my electrician to shift one or two SCV points. Is that a need for my case to "activate" the SCV points for my unit? Just the shifted points, or all the points?

I thought I just need to go to starhub to sign up, plug in the decoder, then able to view SCV liao.. :sport-smiley-004:

Hi folks,

A bit blur here. I bought a new flat from HDB (actually already people staying there for few years cos leftover from SERS allocation) and got my electrician to shift one or two SCV points. Is that a need for my case to "activate" the SCV points for my unit? Just the shifted points, or all the points?

I thought I just need to go to starhub to sign up, plug in the decoder, then able to view SCV liao.. :dribble:

Hi crrabb,

I would assume that nobody stay in your unit before. Same as mine, my unit was built in 2001/2 and nobody stay there until I bought it end of last year. I called SCV and they said that the people will go to each unit and activate the point. If there are nobody in the unit, they will not activate the point.

Since your point is already shift, why don't you try to tune your TV if you have one there? If you managed to get signal especially the SCV test page (the page with lots of color and there is a big circle in it), you are lucky, else might be like me.

What I did was tried to tune to get the channel. I was not able to get any channel, that why I called SCV to check. Actually I called SCV before moving the point to check whether is the signal activated and told me is it activated. :unsure:

Good luck...

Put on a smile, prepare some drinks and so on...should be ok lah! The contractor also human mah...

a la China bribery style....

thats one of the many reasons why I didnt subscribe to scv nor their crappy internet service.

a la China bribery style....

thats one of the many reasons why I didnt subscribe to scv nor their crappy internet service.

Actually I did not intend to subscribe to their service too. Just that I am afraid later will the rooftop antenna be remove, if so how am I going to watch the normal TV channel?

So then I will be paying TV license cuz I have TV at home but no channel to watch. :yamseng:

Actually I called again yesterday and the SCV person told me that if at first I subscribe to the service when they came last friday, I would not have the problem. What they mean by that? Force me to subscribe to their services???? Then 1 problem of asking the contractor to come down again is that the same person might be here cuz the other time the person said that he is incharge of the area. Then the problem will presist.

I really wonder why am I paying for the mistake when SCV is the one who told me that I can engage my own contractor to do it. If they will to tell me that I have to ask their own contractor to do it, I will cuz the price is the same.

Actually I did not intend to subscribe to their service too. Just that I am afraid later will the rooftop antenna be remove, if so how am I going to watch the normal TV channel?

So then I will be paying TV license cuz I have TV at home but no channel to watch. :jawdrop:

Actually I called again yesterday and the SCV person told me that if at first I subscribe to the service when they came last friday, I would not have the problem. What they mean by that? Force me to subscribe to their services???? Then 1 problem of asking the contractor to come down again is that the same person might be here cuz the other time the person said that he is incharge of the area. Then the problem will presist.

I really wonder why am I paying for the mistake when SCV is the one who told me that I can engage my own contractor to do it. If they will to tell me that I have to ask their own contractor to do it, I will cuz the price is the same.

this forum is good for you to let off some steam :yamseng:

what i have noted all these years - they just dont care - even if you make a complaint. irregardless of who/what you are, or even complain to MPs...

Hi guys,

How did you guys get scv to activate the point? I called 1633, choose to spk to operator. They told me i need to pay $56 to get the points activated cos I miss the hot job period. I am getting the keys only tomorrow...And i need to plug a TV to the point so that they can check...this is crazy :furious:

can i do it myself?

Hi guys,

How did you guys get scv to activate the point? I called 1633, choose to spk to operator. They told me i need to pay $56 to get the points activated cos I miss the hot job period. I am getting the keys only tomorrow...And i need to plug a TV to the point so that they can check...this is crazy :furious:

can i do it myself?

Why do u need to activate the points to check? Just plug in to the point direct to check using the roof top antenna.

Yes, you need to pay for scv techs to come down to activate the points if you are subscribing to scv services but this can be waived if you talk to them nicely.

Unfortunately, u cannot do it yourself. Only techs from SCV can do it.

Edited by TYM