Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mlsh

Scv Activation Problem

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
huh? no need? now i am confused.

mlsh mentioned in the 1st post that it needs to be activated?

Hi apollo75,

From what I know the first trip for activation is free.

This is my situation on why I called them down.

I tried to tune for the channel and could not get any. Therefore I called SCV up and they said that they my unit has not been activated yet and will need to send someone down to do it. Then they came down, they realise that the splitter and connectors outside are all stolen (not even connect to the rooftop antenna). Then they activate the point to my storeroom but not my mbr and hall as it has been modified.

Hmm... u mentioned need a TV?? When the contractor activate my storeroom point, no TV was connected. He just use some meter thing to test.

Edited by mlsh

huh? no need? now i am confused.

mlsh mentioned in the 1st post that it needs to be activated?

If you do not intend to subscribe to cable tv, then no need for starhub tech to activate the tv points. Just plug in to the tv points direct and watch the free-to-air channels using the roof top antenna.

guess this is getting really confusing

starhub is definitely doing a good job pushing all customers away

my unit is 6yrs old but i'm the first owner

totally no issue with activation coz the point already activated before i collect my keys

my contractor 'pulled' two more points from the mbr and signal is fine

moral of the story - don't trust what the CSO said over the phone

ask for written emails or letters i.e. black and white to shove into their faces when they turn around and say something else :dribble:

If you do not intend to subscribe to cable tv, then no need for starhub tech to activate the tv points. Just plug in to the tv points direct and watch the free-to-air channels using the roof top antenna.

I see...so i only get them to activate when i want to subscribe loh...keke

I've some what similar situation.

After my renovation, I tried to test the cable point with my cable modem to see if it works.

Tv signal is ok but digital signal very bad hence cannot surf internet or use digitial voice. I have not done anything with the main tv point.

I called starhub regarding the problem, saying that my i need to activate the connection or check ch 743.25. I borrow tv from my neighbour and checked that it is already activated. So i called Starhub again, this time they sent their guys to check and found out that the cabling from the Tap to my home is faulty. They say they would replace the cabling from the tap to outside my door for free BUT i will have to PAY if the cabling in the house is faulty too. I thought $150 for additional connection but I'm not adding any new connection.

Is this fair? I have done nothing to the cable point, yet i"ve to pay if found faulty. My flat is a refurbish flat that i got from HDB. Who should i refer regarding this?

After my renovation, I tried to test the cable point with my cable modem to see if it works.

Tv signal is ok but digital signal very bad hence cannot surf internet or use digitial voice. I have not done anything with the main tv point.

I called starhub regarding the problem, saying that my i need to activate the connection or check ch 743.25. I borrow tv from my neighbour and checked that it is already activated. So i called Starhub again, this time they sent their guys to check and found out that the cabling from the Tap to my home is faulty. They say they would replace the cabling from the tap to outside my door for free BUT i will have to PAY if the cabling in the house is faulty too. I thought $150 for additional connection but I'm not adding any new connection.

Is this fair? I have done nothing to the cable point, yet i"ve to pay if found faulty. My flat is a refurbish flat that i got from HDB. Who should i refer regarding this?

Try checking with HDB to see if the flat is still under warranty; the interior cabling is done by HDB.

If one had activated the points immediately for new flats, any faults will be rectified by HDB because under warranty. Then after activation, any faults will be rectified by SCV, because they have pasted their sticker on the point.

Thus, this is the problem for those who do not activate their points immediately after getting the new flats, or for owners like you who got refurbished flats and not sure if still under warranty or not. Nobody will be responsible for any faults and the owners will have to pay for the repairs.

To my knowledge, as long as your SCV point is done up by Starhub i.e. your cable point got SCV sticker, it will be free

Charges will only occur if the point is relocated by 3rd party contractor.

I see most problems mentioned above is created because most of us will not know until we are told. In this case, i put that responsibility on your electrician because they should know better.

1. Never concealed your SCV cable point. If you concealed it, how they check the signal? Or in future there is problem with the signals, they need to check the point too. Try to install a cover instead.

2. If possible, get SCV technicians to install new cable points or shift, they charge a fee for that but then if you asked your electrician to do it, they charge the same likewise.

3. Every new blocks had a mass activation date where SCV will send their technician to the estate to do a MASS ACTIVATION. If you miss this date, they usually had a second date for every block for mass activation. If you unfortunately collect the key after the activation date, or other circumstances, you are required to pay a fee to ask them to come down specially to activate for you. (Talk to them nicely and they can waive it off)

4. Make sure they paste the stickers on your cable point. It is like a warranty sticker so anything happens to the signal in future you can get SCV to come down and check.

5. Cont. from Point 2. If you get your own electrician to create a new cable point or shift it, SCV will not be responsible for any signal problem. Either you should contact your contractor about the problem, otherwise SCV will charge a fee to test and certified for any cable points created by 3rd party.

Most people simply blames SCV because they didn't know about how complicated it can be. If you follows above, you are safe.

Edited by ryanon123

Hi ryanon123,

Can you or anyone let me know whats the number to call scv to get their techs down to check or activate the TV points? is it 1633?

Thanks....