Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yokine9a

Anyone Use Laminated Flooring In Kitchen?

The kitchen in my new resale flat is moasic floor. As I hope to move in faster and bypass the hassle of hacking the floor, redoing water-proofing, lay new tiles etc, I am considering if I can simply lay laminated flooring on top of the moasic tiles. I know water is a big issue with laminated flooring, anyone has problem with it in the kitchen? I do pretty light cooking though, does cooking smokes stain the floor easily?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
The kitchen in my new resale flat is moasic floor. As I hope to move in faster and bypass the hassle of hacking the floor, redoing water-proofing, lay new tiles etc, I am considering if I can simply lay laminated flooring on top of the moasic tiles. I know water is a big issue with laminated flooring, anyone has problem with it in the kitchen? I do pretty light cooking though, does cooking smokes stain the floor easily?

You may want to consider vinyl flooring instead. The old version of the 80s are the patterned designs but the new ones these days have it in laminated floor design. They comes in strips like tiles and can be easily laid on your existing tiles. Also daily care is also easier since vinyl floor is supposed to be more water resistant than laminated floor.

Check out Saturday's ST... there's a featured reno using vinyl tiles.

Miss Yokine9a,

Hi, after checking with Supreme personnel, their advice is that since you intend to do laminate flooring for your kitchen, it is not impossible.

If you would like to used laminate flooring, my advice is that you go for something more high end such as Engineering Wood from Supreme as it also comes with lifetime warranty.

Overall advice from the experts from Supreme to you is that, they would advice you to used the engineering wood at the "Dry Kitchen" area and not in the Wet Kitchen and you can only do dry cooking if you intend to use laminate wood for flooring.

Miss Yokine9a,

Hi, after checking with Supreme personnel, their advice is that since you intend to do laminate flooring for your kitchen, it is not impossible.

If you would like to used laminate flooring, my advice is that you go for something more high end such as Engineering Wood from Supreme as it also comes with lifetime warranty.

Overall advice from the experts from Supreme to you is that, they would advice you to used the engineering wood at the "Dry Kitchen" area and not in the Wet Kitchen and you can only do dry cooking if you intend to use laminate wood for flooring.

Their some risk you need to consider - water pipe leakage and the floor trap sometime also will jam then the water start to flood your kitchen.

You have to understand the character of the material. Laminate Floor or Engineering Floor is wood product, they are water resistance and NOT waterproof so even you use Engineering wood will also damage the floor when it unpredicted circumstances.

And also, WARRANTY DO NOT COVER ANY WATER DAMAGE CAUSED. So don't be mislead.

Warranty covers Colour fading, wearing off, stains on the surface.

I hope they won't over sell their products. Hope my information is useful.

Merry Christmas :)