Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
plumsource

Recommendation For House Plants That Don't Attract Bugs

yeah, maybe I'll start with ferns....

I also have a large patio, so I'm thinking of growing a herb garden or tomato. My neighbour tells me its really hard to grow friut or veg in Singapore because of the intense heat at times. My patio is south facing and gets morning and afternoon sun. Any idea what kind of fruiting plants or herbs I can grow in such harsh sunlight?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

If grow next to a wall.. then only get sun half a day.

Fruiting plants means.. flowers. means need lots of sun.

I salvage lots of CNY calamansi plants.. kids like to go ard looking for ripe fruits to pluck. Maid plants leftover veggies/ shallots.. kinda fun.. like mini vegetable farm. then come the mini grasshoppers.. sigh..

yeah, maybe I'll start with ferns....

I also have a large patio, so I'm thinking of growing a herb garden or tomato. My neighbour tells me its really hard to grow friut or veg in Singapore because of the intense heat at times. My patio is south facing and gets morning and afternoon sun. Any idea what kind of fruiting plants or herbs I can grow in such harsh sunlight?

Hi plumsource,

i have 2 starfruit plants which i planted from seed.

last few months enjoying the fruits actually only 3 fruits as my place is very windy and a lot of flowers and fruits dropped (very heart ache).

the ones ate were very sweet and fragrance.

u just need to put fertilizer regularly (weekly or bi-weekly) but small amt each time to avoid overdose.

need to repot if not growing after fertilize regularly.

for herbs i have rosemary, very fragance when brushed against the leaves.

as i only plant for fun and not to use for cooking, just water a bit but no fertilizer.

my corridor is also facing south, thus both starfruit and rosemary are growing very well.

hope this will give u the encouragement to try it out. :notti:

Edited by REDCRYSTAL

Redcrystal,

I'm in awe that you manage to grow starfriuts from seedlings!! Where can I get the seeds from? Are citrus fruits easy to grow in these climates? I would love to try and grow some drawf lemons...hehe..

I am soo inspired to start planting now :P

so jealous that u have the space to garden....i only have pots lol

if u dont want to plant from seed, you can always buy instant trees from nurseries.

so jealous that u have the space to garden....i only have pots lol

if u dont want to plant from seed, you can always buy instant trees from nurseries.

Hi Gumbokins!

Feel like I have been in hibernation, logged in after ages!! hopes all well with U!

I too started off with plants from Ikea in my new house, Had them indoors for a short while,

now transplanted into bigger pots. Just spent about $30 on a varied collection of easy to grow plants...

+ fertilised soil + some simple pots.

Japanese bamboo, money plant, a small yukka, 4 plants which my kids chose..

4 weeks later: a couple of plants seem to be on their way to plant heaven :bleah:

but most are flourishing :sport-smiley-004:

so becoming more adventurous. now I have added basil and mint to my collection.. for their fragrance.

A couple of my upstairs neighbours actually volunteered cuttings from their

plants when they saw me transplanting, so its a good ice-breaker too :sport-smiley-004:

From one I got a couple of bulbs of the money plant (not the creeping type, but the ones most chinese houses seem to have with red ribbons tied to them... anyone knows their name??) and its already growing a

beautiful new bud... ready to unfurl soon.

Another gave me a couple of bromeliads (What is that?? see this link :http://www.baag.com.au/fsg_bromeliads.html)

So now I am set!! Go Green!

Redcrystal,

I'm in awe that you manage to grow starfriuts from seedlings!! Where can I get the seeds from? Are citrus fruits easy to grow in these climates? I would love to try and grow some drawf lemons...hehe..

I am soo inspired to start planting now :P

for the starfruit, got the seeds from my cousin's potted starfruit.

from her success story, got courage to follow.

u may get the seeds after eating one.

i have 2 longan plant also grow from seeds.

after eating, just put in the pot to try to grow.

tis one no fruits yet.

i like to try planting from seeds, more satisfying unless it's very difficult to plant.

if u don't try, you never know and you learn thru the process.

for citrus fruits, got a lime plant b4 but hor a lot of caterpillars.

initally interesting as u see the whole cycle from small to big until pupae but miss the breakout from the pupae stage.

in the end, just throw it away.

well, enjoy your planting.

Yes! I'm on a quest to be green!!

Actually last CNY my hubby got me two huge kumquat trees (well don't know the proper name, but you know what i mean, the mini tangerines drawf trees) Anyway, i was dead chuffed with them and was eagerly watering, fertilising, even caterpillar hunting (eventhough I have phobia..scream like mad each time i see one). Then I had a bright idea to start pruning them because i notice some new buds growing...however I over pruned it and within weeks the trees basically died!:notti:!

I have two very sorry looking pots in my patio with 2 skeletal remains of what was once a luscious, fruitful, gorgeous tree...... I am still remorseful to this day :sport-smiley-004:

oh yeah, my hubby also refuse to buy me anymore plants, he said he's helping nature in this way. (sobs)