Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
blackman

Philip Electronic Ballast, Which To Buy?

I just found that my light is not T8 type. It is PLL compact fluorescent light.

PLL light

Can anyone try if the philip electronic ballast look like this can use on the PLL compact fluorescent light?

ballast3.jpg

taken from Mace blog.

I went to Choo Chiang, but none of them can advice me if this ballast fit to the PLL light.

Yes. There are fish aquarium user use PLL light with electronic ballast. Do a google search for it.

Here is one.

As long the florescent lamp have 4 pins it should be able to use electronic ballast. There basically 2 pair of connection (pins). 1 pair for one end of the connection. The connection diagram is on the ballast itself.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
EBE;TLD (from your picture) is meant for T8 lamp only. As for u are using T8 fluorscent tube, u could only use EBE ballast. Not PL lamp. As for PL lamp it works also but have to use a ballast which of PL too. The letter TLD meaning fluorscent tubes (T8) Got it?

T5 is not actually brighter , is more efficacy i would say compare to a T8 tube :-)

yes you re rite, TLD are the T8 fluorescent lamp,

All T5 lamp need HF electronic ballast which you can save on starter and capacitor, they are also more energy effiency.

EBE ballast are the lowest/cheapest for HF ballast, from my understanding from some expert before, they re not very wide use in local project (unless low budget project)because they are limited to few switch on per day,

I do not recommend the EB-Economy electronic ballast as shown in the picture. the energy Rating is EEI=A3, it is rapid-start, and made in china. but it's cheap, about $9.

I recommend the newer Phillips HF-Performer series, these are energy rating EEI=A2, programmed-start, and made in poland.

EEI A2 vs A3

EEI=A2 standard is high performance and saves much more energy than EEI=A3. Note: EEI=A1 is not the most energy saving, rather EEI=A1 is dimmable, but energy saving is the same as EEI=A3.

the class EEI=A2 is the most energy saving.

Programmed-start vs Rapid-Start

Programmed start is much less stressful on the lamp when turning it on than rapid-start, which translates into much longer lamp life than rapid-start.

This URL below talk briefly about rapid-start, programmed start and instant-start.

http://www.unvlt.com/literature/programmed.html

Made in China vs Made in Poland

This one I have no comment, since I'm not familiar with the quality of Poland, but I generally avoid made in china products.

Edited by Frigid

I do not recommend the EB-Economy electronic ballast as shown in the picture. the energy Rating is EEI=A3, it is rapid-start, and made in china. but it's cheap, about $9.

I recommend the newer Phillips HF-Performer series, these are energy rating EEI=A2, programmed-start, and made in poland.

EEI A2 vs A3

EEI=A2 standard is high performance and saves much more energy than EEI=A3. Note: EEI=A1 is not the most energy saving, rather EEI=A1 is dimmable, but energy saving is the same as EEI=A3.

the class EEI=A2 is the most energy saving.

Programmed-start vs Rapid-Start

Programmed start is much less stressful on the lamp when turning it on than rapid-start, which translates into much longer lamp life than rapid-start.

This URL below talk briefly about rapid-start, programmed start and instant-start.

http://www.unvlt.com/literature/programmed.html

Made in China vs Made in Poland

This one I have no comment, since I'm not familiar with the quality of Poland, but I generally avoid made in china products.

Where can I find EEI=A3 electronic ballast? How much is one?

Where can I find EEI=A3 electronic ballast? How much is one?

don't get EEI=A3, get the HF-performer which is EEI=A2.

A2 is the most energy savings.

and also i say again, i don't recommend the EB-Economy (black color) model as shown in the picture, that one is EEI=A3, and it's rapid start. On the manual it says that they don't recommend you to turn on-off the light more than 3 times a day in order to save the lamp life!

Get the HF-performer series, and it's EEI=A2, and it's programmed start, which means you can on-off the light up to 50 times a day without affecting the lamp life.

As to where to get, hard to get from shops, coz not many home owners ask for them, so you'll need to get from distributor.

It really makes me wonder why... .this kind of ballast is very suited for home use where on-off frequency is high and also people want much more energy saving, and yet they don't sell in shops to home owners.

Sorry my typo mistake. :P

I meant where can I get the HF EEI=2 Philip electronic ballast? I have seen a few other brand of electronic ballast and they either come in a very long form factor or square form factor (mostly china type). Long type not suitable be use on smaller 22W circular FL as the lamp housing is quite small.

don't get EEI=A3, get the HF-performer which is EEI=A2.

A2 is the most energy savings.

and also i say again, i don't recommend the EB-Economy (black color) model as shown in the picture, that one is EEI=A3, and it's rapid start. On the manual it says that they don't recommend you to turn on-off the light more than 3 times a day in order to save the lamp life!

Get the HF-performer series, and it's EEI=A2, and it's programmed start, which means you can on-off the light up to 50 times a day without affecting the lamp life.

As to where to get, hard to get from shops, coz not many home owners ask for them, so you'll need to get from distributor.

It really makes me wonder why... .this kind of ballast is very suited for home use where on-off frequency is high and also people want much more energy saving, and yet they don't sell in shops to home owners.

Hi,

I went to Choo Chiang today with the intention to get T5 tubes. They showed me a sample with casing and it was so thin I asked them where do I put the ballast? They told me no ballast needed.

I don't understand. Can somebody enlighten me? Is it that the casing used is for cove lighting and already has the thin type of ballast which is not Philips/OSRAM?

Hi,

I went to Choo Chiang today with the intention to get T5 tubes. They showed me a sample with casing and it was so thin I asked them where do I put the ballast? They told me no ballast needed.

I don't understand. Can somebody enlighten me? Is it that the casing used is for cove lighting and already has the thin type of ballast which is not Philips/OSRAM?

the salesperson don't know what he talking about. Many salespeople are like that, they don't know anything about the products they are selling.

for this type of light, the ballast is already included inside the casing... it's a small thin one with no brand name.

the salesperson don't know what he talking about. Many salespeople are like that, they don't know anything about the products they are selling.

for this type of light, the ballast is already included inside the casing... it's a small thin one with no brand name.

so is it recommended to use that?