Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
phaffia

Help: "moving"hob

Hi all,

My renovation is just about to be completed. There's a problem with the installation of the hob and I hope someone out here can help to shed some light on this.

Our hob was installed however it is not secured on the kitchen top i.e. it can be moved about (1-2cm).

I wish to know if this is normal.

Have mentioned this to the contractor and he claims that it is normal. He suggested using double sided tape (I was like "What the h*ll") or using silicon (he said he wouldn't recommend this as my top is granite).

Now I don't really know what other alternatives there can be.

Hope someone can help enlighten me about this issue.

Thanks in advance

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Did u miss out the gasket?

This black coloured rubber linning wraps round the base of rim of the hob to function as a suction onto the table top.

Thanks Mace and gladyslim for your suggestions! Truly appreciate this.

Hi Mace, just one more question to consult you. Will silicon last the high temperatures that the hob will be exposed to during cooking?

Hi gladyslim, I am not sure whether the gasket is in place or not. Will go check.

Are there any other things that I need to take note of, when installing the hob? To be honest, I have thought the installation should be quite simple since I haven't read of any problem from other forummers with their hob installation.

Thanks once again.

Assuming the opening on the granite top is too wide that the hob move to left or right, then maybe add stripes of granite, ceramic tiles or rubber pads stick onto the granite's opening.

Assuming the opening on the granite top is too wide that the hob move to left or right, then maybe add stripes of granite, ceramic tiles or rubber pads stick onto the granite's opening.

I haven't been to the flat since. The contractor is supposedly completing the rectification works today. Will go and take a look this evening. Thanks once again gladyslim! :yamseng:

hi phaffia, mine is also not secured on my granite countertop

can move slightly but i think it's okay

i have no intention of sealing it as it makes it easier to change hob next time

if not most prob will damage the countertop :dunno:

hi phaffia, mine is also not secured on my granite countertop

can move slightly but i think it's okay

i have no intention of sealing it as it makes it easier to change hob next time

if not most prob will damage the countertop :dunno:

Hi applefreak,

Thanks! You do have a point there. And yes, the contractor did mention something about damaging the countertop.

However, we are just concerned that we will accidentally 're-position' the hob when stir-frying is done on the wok.

Have you encountered that problem before?