Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cecilathome

Bamboo Fibre Cotton Vs Egyptian Cotton

Hello,

I saw at Robinsons, there bedsheets made from Bamboo Fibre Cotton and also those from Egyptian Cotton.

May I know which one is better in terms of :

1. Comfort and luxury

2. Maintenance

3. Durability

Anyone have any experience on these ??

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

I have only used before the Egyptian Cotton, so can only comment on this only. The current Egyptian Cotton I am using is of 500+ thread count, and its very confortable. As for the other 2 aspects you are asking, don't quite really understand what you mean, but if I understand correctly currently i just do the normal washing in the washer and so far after using it for a few months, nothing happens to the bedsheet.

Cheers

Hi Henrywoo,

Thanks for your reply. Wonder if yours is 100% Egyptian Cotton Seteen or normal 100% Egyptian Cotton (Percale) ?

If you are using Egyptian Cotton Sateen, do you feel stuffy sleeping on it in this Singapore warm weather?

Hi,

I have only used before the Egyptian Cotton, so can only comment on this only. The current Egyptian Cotton I am using is of 500+ thread count, and its very confortable. As for the other 2 aspects you are asking, don't quite really understand what you mean, but if I understand correctly currently i just do the normal washing in the washer and so far after using it for a few months, nothing happens to the bedsheet.

Cheers

Hello,

I saw at Robinsons, there bedsheets made from Bamboo Fibre Cotton and also those from Egyptian Cotton.

May I know which one is better in terms of :

1. Comfort and luxury

2. Maintenance

3. Durability

Anyone have any experience on these ??

the TC plays a very important part too

egyptian cotton sateen at 200TC can't exactly be called comfortable and luxurious

do take note that most bedsheets are using TC per 10cm square in singapore

while european countries go by TC per sq inch

i've not tried bamboo fibre cotton yet

thought it's more about moisture absorption and anti-mold :dunno:

using egyptian cotton sateen now

super comfortable and cool

might be due to the weather now too :P

Well actually when we look at the TC, for the egyptian cotton at least, my TC based on the european countries, its i believe 200+, but then convert to local, its 500+. You should use this to compare the TC when you do comparision between the different type of bedsheet.

Cheers

Thanks henrywoo and applefreak for the reply ...

As currently the weather in Singapore is hot and dry, wonder if your Egyptian Cotton Sateen bedsheets still as comfortable as before (without turning on air-con) compared to the past months?

Hope can advise further...Thanks ya

i'm using 1500tc / sq inch

still comfortable and cool

my air-con turn on most prob three days a year during the extremely hot jul nia :notti:

only problem is the sheets tend to be really crumbled after wash and tumble dry :(

just another reminder

satin = synthetic

sateen = cotton

Edited by applefreak

What's the fuss about high thread count sheets?

Thread count of sheets can be defined by the number of horizontal and vertical threads in one square inch of fabric. Percale means sheets made with a thread count over 100. Thread counts can range from 80 to 1000 ct. However most department stores or wholesale stores carry thread count ranges from 180-500.

Two properties make up a square inch of fabric in high thread count sheets. The “warp” is the number of vertical threads pre square inch and the “weft” is the number of horizontal threads per square inch. To get the thread count of high thread count sheets, you add the number of warp and weft. For example, a thread count of 180 means a warp of 100 and a weft of 80 horizontal threads. The thickness of the thread will also determine how many threads can fit in a square inch. A fine thread makes it possible for a denser thread count per square inch. “Ply” also can play a role in the density of high thread count sheets. If you come across a “two ply” sheet, the thread was made by twisting two yarns together before they were weaved. Single ply is just that, a single thread used to make the fabric. Therefore, there is more thread per square inch in a two ply than in a single ply.

There are both positive and negative aspects to the higher thread count. Sheets that have a higher thread count cost more than the average thread count sheet. High thread count sheets are softer, but they tend to be a little less durable because they are made of a finer, more delicate thread. When it comes to buying sheets that are over 320 ct, some retailers and manufacturers believe higher numbers do not yield a softer sheet. So if you are looking for a softness and don't mind the wear, anything between 300 and 320 ct will be suitable.

Don't fall into the thread count trap!

Thread count is a good way of checking the quality however it is not all. You can buy have 2 bedsheets with the same threadcount but one might still feel better quality than the other. You need to also see the fiber quality (i like 100% cotton). Egyptian combed cotton and Jacquard cotton are favourites. Other things would be yarn size and the finishing also matters. The easiest is the feel test.

Manufacturers put thread count in two different measurements: per SQUARE INCH and per 10 SQUARE CMs. So, if you see “thread count: 180 per 10 cm2″, that’s probably around 120 thread count per square inch. Generally speaking, 10 square cm is 1.55 square inch. So when you see a thread count in 10cm2 or 10 square cm, always ask the shopkeeper to convert that into square inch (it’s not easy to convert area measurement yourself, believe me!) so you compare different brands / options apple-to-apple.

some portions adapted from:

http://ezinearticles.com

http://forums.cozycot.com

If you are asking about bamboo fiber v/s Egyptian Cotton so I just say that the Egyptian Cotton is the better than bamboo fiber, there are lots of the reason behind this

the Egyptian Cotton fiber its very silky and fell very comfortable,

The Egyptian cotton is grown exclusively along the Nile Delta in Egypt and is among the worlds softest and most durable cotton fibers and if know more Egyptian Cotton so this is the best place for you.

----------------------

Egyptian Cotton Sheets

Edited by kristoferzems

The truth about Egyptian Cotton Sheets

by: http://www.luxorlinens.com

Maybe you have heard differences in cotton sheets, or sheets of Egyptian cotton is the best and worth having, but do not really know why. When collecting clothes and bed sheets, in particular, has three main areas that you should be aware of: the quality of yarn, thread count and finishing processes.

Yarn Quality

The finest cotton grown in the world of the River Nile in Egypt. Egyptian cotton is hand-planted, weeded and harvested with great care, using techniques passed down through generations. Using only natural fertilizers, cotton grown in Egypt is a natural product grown on the planet. What makes Egyptian cotton apart from other cotton growing in the world is the length of the fastener. It has a unique staple fiber pulled out with cotton wool. staple Egyptian cotton has extra-long, and can be spun into a smooth yarn, stronger, finer, so that it is possible to weave more threads per inch in the fabric, the number of threads higher. Egyptian cotton has been grown for centuries to produce better, stronger and more long-staple cotton in the world.

Thread Count

Thread count is the measure of the amount of tissue son in a square inch of fabric. general belief is the higher the thread count, the softer the fabric. This is generally true, but you can squeeze in short cotton base in a square inch to create a high thread count and therefore the fabric feel rough or coarse. Is the difference between the definition of Egyptian cotton and cotton grown in other geographical locations. Only Egyptian cotton base can provide the food necessary to create a thread that is beautiful, strong, soft, woven into a sheet of quality Egyptian cotton.

Finishing Processes

The expertise and experience of the craftsman is essential to provide the components for the manufacture of fine linen. The choice of a child to select the type of armor, the craftsman is an artist who creates the feeling of luxury fabric is Egyptian cotton sheets. The artisan gives meticulous attention to detail during weaving and finishing of fabrics to ensure the shiny appearance. Fabric finishing and sewing gives even the most demanding customers with quality assurance. The result is something that can not be 100% Egyptian cotton sheets.

There is nothing like the comfort and luxury of an Egyptian cotton sheet set to revolutionize the quality of your sleep is a luxury worth the investment.

Bought my specific Egyptian Cotton sheet here: http://www.luxorlinens.com/Valentino-Strip...eets-p-281.html