Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
berries_star

Laminate Vs Solid Surface

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

No, laminate is not the same as solid surface... laminate is used for wooden funiture like cabinet, wardrobe, TV console, study table etc... solid surface is mostly used for kitchen cabinet, bathroom counter top etc.

Bay window? What do you want to do on it? I thought just window grills will do?

thanks for clarifying. Oh, i need to do up the baywindow ledge. My hubby found someone to cover with granite... looking forward to see how it'll looks like :rolleyes:

Laminate n granite will hv a joining line, as i knw for solid suface ther wil b no joining line, bt its quite easily to get scratches

Laminate n granite will hv a joining line, as i knw for solid suface ther wil b no joining line, bt its quite easily to get scratches

So what is the other alternatives? look like everything also have problem....

So what is the other alternatives? look like everything also have problem....

it'll depend on your budget as well as your own preference. Scratches are pretty visible for either white or black solid surface.

For those wif super tight budget, most would opt for just laminates. Can also last pretty long.

Guest melancholic
it'll depend on your budget as well as your own preference. Scratches are pretty visible for either white or black solid surface.

For those wif super tight budget, most would opt for just laminates. Can also last pretty long.

Read from ID magazines that more IDs are starting to use solid surface even for feature walls and carpentry work like tv console, full height shoe rack. Is it much costlier? Are the pros and cons similar to what has been discussed about kitchen work tops?

hmmm... got the baywindow ledge done up. but the line in between is really a spoiler. but still the feeling of sitting on cool stone surface is still good. I'd now have to find some way to cover up.

Today i check for another contracter to build up our display cabinet but they say they only use melamine moisture protection finish :bangwall: this one cost like double the price

What do you guys think about laminate?

My condo comes with laminate and I have been using it for 10 years without issue, even for the sink area, which is almost always wet. After a decade of use, the laminate is still in very good condition, with no visible scratches or stains. The only problem seems like the colour has faded somewhat.

Read about all the problems that people has with solid surface, so I am quite inclined to stick with laminate.

You wife must be very hardworking in taking care of the laminated cabinet for that 10 yrs... You can still go for it if you can maintain that kind of standard for your new house... But what about your kids, can they keep the sink area dry?

I don't use solid surface, I use granite.

If you still prefer laminate, which is much cheaper, go for good carpentry workmanship... Insist to use good quality laminated wood for inner parts as well, say no to those cheapo white plywood.

Edited by yokine9a

here it goes for bay window:

cheap - laminate

normal - solid surface top

expensive - granite top

granite top come in 6ft per slap. so if your bay window is longer than 6ft, you will see a join line.

solid surface dun have any join lines but less resistant to scratches.

laminate with matt finish is scratch resistant. gloss finish is less scratch resistant. it comes in 8ft by 4ft. so will only see join line after every 8ft.

Hi guys,

greeting to all ! i'm newie to this forum...wish to share my experience with you guys..

i 'm currently renov my new place at TQ, living, 2 beds room and masterbed room all come with bay window...

also chose between laminate, solid top (corian) or granite top to do up my bay window. headache also dunno what to chose....

got quote from ID , carpentry and some supplier direct.

finally i found a best solution that i like to share with ppls here.

a. living room bay window - laminate with cushion and day-bed

b. Bedroom 1 for my gals - laminate with drawer to keep their toys & stuffs

c. bedroom 2 - granite top with edge profiling L-shape with black galaxy colour

d. MBR - granite top with edge profiling with black galaxy colour

the look is really different. best part i got the quote from the supplier direct. $85 per ft run - black galaxy & jet black galaxy

any one interested can pm me for the contact, i think cannot post the contact here rite? we cannot advertise some one here. just to share ! cheers!

Edited by kingcobra

Hi kingcobra,

can share your contacts with me? My email is dreamyger@gmail.com.

please also give me a copy of your quotation for references.

many thanks