Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

hey

think newbie is another staying in the east like us?

Maybe... anyway let me know when you moving in? I can help you transport some big items with my lorry... but........ u treat lunch la.. hahaha just kidding....

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I would like to illustrate an eg of Criminal Breach of Trust (CBT). Assume 3 persons A, B and C. A asked B to perform an act. A pays B in advance for that act. B did not use that money to perform that act. Instead B used it for C. Even though not expressly stated in contract, it is implied that A paid B to do A's act. No one in his right mind would pay for another stranger. As mentioned earlier, this is an offence that carries a jail term of up to 7 years.

I think there are several groups of aggrieved people in this forum:

(A) those whose renovations have been completed by AS. This group wants to move on and put the whole thing behind them as AS don't owe them anything.

(B) those whose renovations are on-going, paid in advance, and want to continue to wait for AS. A police report affects this group.

© those whose renovations are on-going, paid in advance, have enough of AS and want a refund. Many have chosen to do the renovations with others and ask for refund thereafter. I worry that AS will not honour the refund, or worse, we may not be able to find him in Singapore as he will have ample time to dispose of his assets and flee by the time our renovations complete. I've not been able to contact AS at all for quite a while. Is someone able to update on the situation now? Does anyone has a complete list of all victims?

Hopefully we can arrive at a consensus.

Hi seashell, thanks for your suggestion. But I don't think i'll go along that route. I don't want to have anything to do with AS. It is impossible to continue when there is no communication (can't get him at all) and trust. I'll rather pay more to someone whom I can trust (one of the lessons learnt). Someday i'll document a list 'lessons learnt' from this saga :)

hi newbie..

u stay in bedok? me too..

for the past few months, i was like u, jumping mad, sad, frustrated, feels so stupid, sleepness night, full of worries

so much so that my family is affected, life is affected, health is affected.

as i said earlier on, all our money is hard earned money. be it $100 or $1000 or $10,000. it is indeed our hardearned money.

most of us here had gone tru what u had gone tru already and has come to a point that, give up hopes on him, finish our reno first then chase back the money... if u think he indeed has commited certain crimes, of course u can report him and let him get what he deserves..

wat i want to see is, u will move on with your reno. actually, there are some houses who are in the same situation as u, work things out with ah soon, ie. houseowners pay material and he supply labour... as u are still in the beginning stage of the reno, u still have a chance of completing the reno and not lossing much money.

here's the example:

u paid $10k. and u need to change the whole house tiles. in the quote, he charge u $15K for the whole house tiles.

so u can consider to pay $5k to buy tiles and material and he will supply u the labour. (U BUY MATERIALS URSELF)

this way, losses can be minimize. and once tiling work complete, u can go look for other contractor to do the remaining stuff. leave him.

pls dun misunderstand i am speaking up for AS. this is jus another possibility that works for some. cus u can go ahead and sue him and do watever u deem fit. bottomline is, do u get back your money? frankly, not say impossible,very tough. if this is so, consider other alternatives, try to finish up or get as much as possible form AS labour. then later if he still owes u money (hopefully not alot), then u recover is easier..

jus my suggestions...

Hi newbie, where you stay? This is just ur begining... way to go....

hey

think newbie is another staying in the east like us?

huh what do you mean? you're perfectly fine and accept it when someone cheats you of $10,000?

not everyone makes easy money. It's months of hard work for me.

I've not heard from him after handing him the money about a month ago. I've spent hours everyday calling him. Sometimes I feel like a madman. He either refuses to pick up my call, or shuts down the phone.

hi newbie..

u stay in bedok? me too..

for the past few months, i was like u, jumping mad, sad, frustrated, feels so stupid, sleepness night, full of worries

so much so that my family is affected, life is affected, health is affected.

as i said earlier on, all our money is hard earned money. be it $100 or $1000 or $10,000. it is indeed our hardearned money.

most of us here had gone tru what u had gone tru already and has come to a point that, give up hopes on him, finish our reno first then chase back the money... if u think he indeed has commited certain crimes, of course u can report him and let him get what he deserves..

wat i want to see is, u will move on with your reno. actually, there are some houses who are in the same situation as u, work things out with ah soon, ie. houseowners pay material and he supply labour... as u are still in the beginning stage of the reno, u still have a chance of completing the reno and not lossing much money.

here's the example:

u paid $10k. and u need to change the whole house tiles. in the quote, he charge u $15K for the whole house tiles.

so u can consider to pay $5k to buy tiles and material and he will supply u the labour. (U BUY MATERIALS URSELF)

this way, losses can be minimize. and once tiling work complete, u can go look for other contractor to do the remaining stuff. leave him.

pls dun misunderstand i am speaking up for AS. this is jus another possibility that works for some. cus u can go ahead and sue him and do watever u deem fit. bottomline is, do u get back your money? frankly, not say impossible,very tough. if this is so, consider other alternatives, try to finish up or get as much as possible form AS labour. then later if he still owes u money (hopefully not alot), then u recover is easier..

jus my suggestions...

i wish this were some prestigious club that i'm joining. haha. i had grand plans of celebrating Christmas at Bedok you know.

here's what i think are the available options:

1. Continue with Ah Soon. This will mean that I'll have to wait and wait, and pour in more money that disappears into thin air. And if I'm truly lucky, the whole thing may complete 6 months later. Quality will definitely be lousy, corners cut, etc, given the desperate situation now.

2. Look for a separate contractor. Possibly I can complete the entire renovation by Feb.

Between the 2 options, it's clear that I should look for a separate contractor. So the question is how to recover the money that Ah Soon took. There's no way for me to contact him to ask for refund, and even if I can get hold of him, he'll tell more lies (eg repay by March as he's unable to do so now). Assuming I fall for the lies again and wait till March for refund. Come March, he'll ask for more time (that is if he's still around in Singapore).

So that leaves me with one option: make a police report as soon as possible. Ideally I can recover something. If not, i'll just have to move on and consider this a very expensive lesson. At least justice will be done and nobody else will be cheated by him.

bravo newbie,, need sone oadd & end reno ctts, pm me will pass u

Hi Guys..

Sorry to reply late.. my project was completed in June 30 earlier this with a huge amount in custom made furniture. Unfortunately, the big mirror door in my MBR still giving way 2months later.. nice.. but not nice to eat..

today to my horror, the entire mirror cabinet GAVE way.. a good 25kg mirror door came door. it was a good thing my ah lao was in the room to support it... and my kids were in the same room too!.. goosssh...my pull out cabinet also gave WAY!! it was only supported by a THIN Flimsy board!!!!

try calling alan.. he told me he no longer works with Ah soon... and .. cant get the Mr Liu Carpentry guy.. would appreciate if any one can PM me Ah Soon's number..gosh... i cant believe this..

on top of that... all the cracks in the way started showing after 3mths! ( we did a full house plastering). 8|:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

appreaciate if you can pm me..

thanks

Ivy

wah ... why like tht.... pls update on whts happens thx

Edited by fini

i wish this were some prestigious club that i'm joining. haha. i had grand plans of celebrating Christmas at Bedok you know.

here's what i think are the available options:

1. Continue with Ah Soon. This will mean that I'll have to wait and wait, and pour in more money that disappears into thin air. And if I'm truly lucky, the whole thing may complete 6 months later. Quality will definitely be lousy, corners cut, etc, given the desperate situation now.

2. Look for a separate contractor. Possibly I can complete the entire renovation by Feb.

Between the 2 options, it's clear that I should look for a separate contractor. So the question is how to recover the money that Ah Soon took. There's no way for me to contact him to ask for refund, and even if I can get hold of him, he'll tell more lies (eg repay by March as he's unable to do so now). Assuming I fall for the lies again and wait till March for refund. Come March, he'll ask for more time (that is if he's still around in Singapore).

So that leaves me with one option: make a police report as soon as possible. Ideally I can recover something. If not, i'll just have to move on and consider this a very expensive lesson. At least justice will be done and nobody else will be cheated by him.

huh what do you mean? you're perfectly fine and accept it when someone cheats you of $10,000?

I've not heard from him after handing him the money about a month ago. I've spent hours everyday calling him. Sometimes I feel like a madman. He either refuses to pick up my call, or shuts down the phone.

let it be...

Hi Guys..

Sorry to reply late.. my project was completed in June 30 earlier this with a huge amount in custom made furniture. Unfortunately, the big mirror door in my MBR still giving way 2months later.. nice.. but not nice to eat..

today to my horror, the entire mirror cabinet GAVE way.. a good 25kg mirror door came door. it was a good thing my ah lao was in the room to support it... and my kids were in the same room too!.. goosssh...my pull out cabinet also gave WAY!! it was only supported by a THIN Flimsy board!!!!

try calling alan.. he told me he no longer works with Ah soon... and .. cant get the Mr Liu Carpentry guy.. would appreciate if any one can PM me Ah Soon's number..gosh... i cant believe this..

on top of that... all the cracks in the way started showing after 3mths! ( we did a full house plastering). 8|:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

thanks

Ivy

pm u liao!

ah soon jus now call me, i told him ur problem. u faster call him. he says he dun have ur number (forget liao)... if not he will call u also. (u can pm me ur number)

dun worry i think ah soon should b able to settle this. meanwhile, be careful.

Edited by seashell

Hi Guys..

thanks

Ivy

Now another alternative is to wait till Mar. But given the lies that he has told, there's no stopping him from selling his possessions by then and flee to his hometown in Johore. Therefore any actions must be taken immediately.

Also an article on tax evasion - 2 years in this case:

http://www.asiaone.com/Business/News/SME%2...216-122275.html

Two-year term and $1.5m penalty imposed on GST cheat

UTE accountant made false entries in GST returns 40 times.

Mon, Feb 16, 2009

The Straits Times

AFTER 10 years of tax evasion, Teo Kiok Seng, 45, has been slapped with the maximum two-year jail term and a $1.5 million penalty.

The accountant assisted his company, United Team Enterprise (UTE), in evading tax by making false entries in goods and services tax (GST) returns 40 times between 1996 and 2007.

District Judge May Mesenas set the penalty at three times the amount of tax undercharged.

Initially, Teo was a director of UTE, a general wholesale trade company, until he gave up the position in July 2003 to take on the role of accountant.

Investigations by the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (Iras) showed that Teo submitted fake input tax claims in UTE's GST returns when the company was dormant.

He falsely declared export figures and purchases with GST incurred to make refund claims when there was no business activity.

GST-registered traders can offset the GST they pay on their purchases, known as input tax, against the GST (output tax) they collect from sales, and pay the difference to Iras in each claim year.

If a business incurs more GST on purchases than it collects from sales, it can claim a refund.

Iras' principal legal officer Quek Hui Ling highlighted aggravating factors in the case such as the long period of fraudulent activity and Teo's deliberate course of conduct.

He could have been fined up to $10,000 or jailed up to seven years or both on each charge, in addition to the penalty.

Another 86 charges were considered during his sentencing.