Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Topline

Installing Hi Fi Equipment

I'm doing the ID for the new place soon and about to buy my hi fi equipment. Unfortunately, I'm not good with wires. Would the electrician engaged by my ID be able to help with hooking up my hi fi system or should i get the hi fi shop to install?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I'm doing the ID for the new place soon and about to buy my hi fi equipment. Unfortunately, I'm not good with wires. Would the electrician engaged by my ID be able to help with hooking up my hi fi system or should i get the hi fi shop to install?

If you are buying new equipments, I believe the specialty hi fi shop can do the final connections for you unless you are getting it from the mass electronic shops (eg Courts, HN, Best). In terms of laying the cables/wires, your ID's electrician can lay it in for you before the false ceiling/LBox going up. Based on experience, I recommend that you get the electrician to test the wires before/or after its being laid (before its covered up). You just need to be clear on where you want the points (speakers) to be.

For cables/wires, you should source it on your own cuz you will be able to get better quality ones for 'lower cost' as compared to the ones you get or buy from the hi fi shops. A good place to go is Sim Lim Square, 2nd level, AVIT (if i remember the name correctly). They specialize in cables/wires. Ask for Winson. He should be able to point you to the right direction.

Just invest in good wires (not too expensive ones - around $5-10 per metre is good enough for surround speakers) and more for the front speakers.

Edited by Crazyfrites

If you are buying new equipments, I believe the specialty hi fi shop can do the final connections for you unless you are getting it from the mass electronic shops (eg Courts, HN, Best). In terms of laying the cables/wires, your ID's electrician can lay it in for you before the false ceiling/LBox going up. Based on experience, I recommend that you get the electrician to test the wires before/or after its being laid (before its covered up). You just need to be clear on where you want the points (speakers) to be.

For cables/wires, you should source it on your own cuz you will be able to get better quality ones for 'lower cost' as compared to the ones you get or buy from the hi fi shops. A good place to go is Sim Lim Square, 2nd level, AVIT (if i remember the name correctly). They specialize in cables/wires. Ask for Winson. He should be able to point you to the right direction.

Just invest in good wires (not too expensive ones - around $5-10 per metre is good enough for surround speakers) and more for the front speakers.

Thanks. What do you mean by final connections? What are not-so-final connections?

I'm so clueless i don;t even know what cables/ wires are required... i guess i will need winson's help.

Steamrz, if i engage KEC, must i buy the equipment from them or they can just do installation on its own. Just concerned about their pricing of their equipment...

Thanks. What do you mean by final connections? What are not-so-final connections?

I'm so clueless i don;t even know what cables/ wires are required... i guess i will need winson's help.

Steamrz, if i engage KEC, must i buy the equipment from them or they can just do installation on its own. Just concerned about their pricing of their equipment...

'not so final' means like laying of wires/cables. for the final connections, its like where should each cable/interconnect go to 'which hole' on the dvd/amp, etc. - how to connect cable box > amp > tv or dvd/blu-ray > amp > tv using different cables (interconnects, hdmi, etc.). then once connected, a good installer should also help you tune.

It really comes down to what you intend to buy. Are you buying a HT (home theater) system (all in 1) or are you buying separate pieces. Perhaps if you can share in details on the pieces of equipments you intend to have, so that it will be easier for us to help you figure out the mess out! :D It can get a little complex given the different cables involve!

I believe they would do. To confirm, you can call to ask. For me, I got my electrician to lay the rear surround speaker cables. I got the cables from KEC - $4/meter

Hi,

Shld be straight forward. U needs to identify where u wanna install yr components (amp, player etc) and type of system purchase. For most of the setup usually the speaker wire are connected to the ampifiler. Most importantly, you got to let us know what kinda of Hi Fi equipement you are getting.

First thing first, rear speaker !! you needs to decide in advance where to install the speaker, such as on the ceiling area (L box) or using speaker stand at floor level. If on the ceiling area (L box) you need to lay the wire in advance and inform yr contractor abt it. Using speaker stands is straight forward, just get the speaker cable ready before installation of TV console or wall feature (woodwork). As for the front (left and right) and center speaker cable, get it lay before installation of any woodwork too. Remember to add extra length, such as half a meter or a meter for all cables purchase ya. Usually, yr carpenter will able to advise you how the cable is lay in the tv wall feature and console, no worries abt it.

Hope you are not using Bose speaker system, as the setup is slightly different from the above explanation.

You can get your electrician to set up the speakers cables 1st but do get the cables from a proper audio shop. Be prepared to pay a bit more rather than compromising on audio quality by getting a cheapo brand.

Ya, never buy expensive BOSE. Its over hyped & using Jurassic technology. In fact BOSE stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Cheers

You can get your electrician to set up the speakers cables 1st but do get the cables from a proper audio shop. Be prepared to pay a bit more rather than compromising on audio quality by getting a cheapo brand.

Ya, never buy expensive BOSE. Its over hyped & using Jurassic technology. In fact BOSE stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Cheers

Been using BOSE speak system for a longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg time liao.

Been using BOSE speak system for a longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg time liao.

To each its own. A HDMI compliant BOSE system is so expensive (& it doesnt sound that great either) that it makes more sense getting other brands which cost less yet sounds better. I do not suppose a Bose amp/receiver has any HD video upscaling. That eliminates watching bluray format movies though.

cheers

Edited by vicenzo70

if we were to ignore the pricing of BOSE, it sounds decent but if you factor in the pricing, one will realise the money could be more well spent but then again it depends on individual because some are more focused on the audio system aesthetics (this is where BOSE marketing is focused on) rather then audio quality (those with non-gold plated ears will digest this)

back in US, BOSE does not command this level of price premiums at all and can be bought at major stores unlike here only in a "BOSE boutique" ;)

To each its own. A HDMI compliant BOSE system is so expensive (& it doesnt sound that great either) that it makes more sense getting other brands which cost less yet sounds better. I do not suppose a Bose amp/receiver has any HD video upscaling. That eliminates watching bluray format movies though.

cheers

Totally agreed with you that to each of its own. I m using Bose 5.1 SPEAKER system not the hi-fi sound system setup. My amp is Yamaha, so i m not into Bose amp/receiver setup and no issue on watching bluray or any format movies too. lolz

cheers

Totally agreed with you that to each of its own. I m using Bose 5.1 SPEAKER system not the hi-fi sound system setup. My amp is Yamaha, so i m not into Bose amp/receiver setup and no issue on watching bluray or any format movies too. lolz

cheers

Pai seh

Dont understand your statement. I thought BOSE speakers connections are thru its unique "subwoofer"? Unless you have the Acoustimass system which allows connection to any amp.

Anyway good for you to use a Yamaha amp instead of the useless Bose receiver. I think Bose has not finalize their speakers to support HD sound yet.

Cheers

Pai seh

Dont understand your statement. I thought BOSE speakers connections are thru its unique "subwoofer"? Unless you have the Acoustimass system which allows connection to any amp.

Anyway good for you to use a Yamaha amp instead of the useless Bose receiver. I think Bose has not finalize their speakers to support HD sound yet.

Cheers

his would be an acoustimass system as already mentioned 5.1 with the .1 being the subwoofer

for clarification, HD sound format is not about the speaker as a 5.1 setup is sufficient to support the HD sound formats but its a matter if they would like to implement the sound formats in the setups

Pai seh

Cheers

huh? U r rite, i m using Acoustimass system. Which part u dont understand?

cheers