Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Pr15on

Leaking At Lower Unit

Hi guys,

My unit undergo renovation from last sept till dec. Completed at Dec. Now at July, the lower unit complained that their MBR and kitchen toilets are leaking badly. They alerted the HDB and they came down to investigate. After visiting the lower unit, they came to mine saying that it was a bad leak, covering almost whole of the ceiling.

B4 that the contractor came and do some patching in the drainage. However the HDB officer says acording to his experience, a leak in drainage will not lead to the whole ceiling leaking. Something to do with the water proof membrane. But at least the contractor take some action. so need to monitor.

They will inform the lower unit that some actions have been taken and need to monitor for 1 week. If the leaking persist, I would have to force the contractor down to take further action, worst come to worst, have to hack the tiles up and relay again.

Have anyone face this issue b4? Just HALF year after renovation and this issue occurs? Will the contractor be responsible and do it FOC? Can I claim lost of use from them? They are not register with RADAC, but with the HDB.

Can anyone give me advice???

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi guys,

My unit undergo renovation from last sept till dec. Completed at Dec. Now at July, the lower unit complained that their MBR and kitchen toilets are leaking badly. They alerted the HDB and they came down to investigate. After visiting the lower unit, they came to mine saying that it was a bad leak, covering almost whole of the ceiling.

B4 that the contractor came and do some patching in the drainage. However the HDB officer says acording to his experience, a leak in drainage will not lead to the whole ceiling leaking. Something to do with the water proof membrane. But at least the contractor take some action. so need to monitor.

They will inform the lower unit that some actions have been taken and need to monitor for 1 week. If the leaking persist, I would have to force the contractor down to take further action, worst come to worst, have to hack the tiles up and relay again.

Have anyone face this issue b4? Just HALF year after renovation and this issue occurs? Will the contractor be responsible and do it FOC? Can I claim lost of use from them? They are not register with RADAC, but with the HDB.

Can anyone give me advice???

So what actions did your contractor do?

The contractor got to be 100% responsible for that and have to rectify until problem solve but claim lost of use from them is a bit hard unless u want to send them lawyer's letter.

If water proofing not done properly, may it be the whole toilet flooring or up to the min. required height of the wall, leaking to lower unit is only sooner or later.

The most is HDB deduct some points and a fine on the company if received a formal complaint.

U should continue using the toilet so as to test it is really rectified.

Edited by jaskel

Wat's lost of use?? so chim ..

The contractor did a bad job with the waterproofing 6 mths ago, simple as that.

They will have to hack out your toilet tiles, retile and paint your neighbour's toilet ceiling ...

If refuse to do, put their name big big here.

Wat's lost of use?? so chim ..

The contractor did a bad job with the waterproofing 6 mths ago, simple as that.

They will have to hack out your toilet tiles, retile and paint your neighbour's toilet ceiling ...

If refuse to do, put their name big big here.

He/She is referring to eg, like u got into a car accident with a taxi, the taxi driver will claim lost of income from u or insurance while the taxi is undergoing repair.

i think got warranty one right . Unless that time u didn't redo yr floor tile. If u redo the floor tile , the contractor will do the water proofing and give like 1yr warranty ? this is what i understand from my contractor

Hi guys, thanks for ur reply.

My contractor told his worker to come down. He just put something like plaster around the inside of the drainage pipe. Say wait for 6 hours b4 using. Then the HDB officer came and verify that. He then go to the lower unit and tell them to wait for 1 week to c how the situation goes. If still leaking, then have to call in my contractor again. This time round have to hack the tiles and redo the waterproof thing.

May I ask, if really hack the tiles, do I have to use my spare ones or the contractor provides??? Cos its not our fault mah. One toilet i count is bout 20 to 25 tiles. So nearly 50 tiles. I dun have that much. And will affect the sink and toilet bowl???

I did use the toilets after 6 hours. I suspect the kitchen oso the same but I nv spray the flooring with water b4, just mop. Must I test it oso???

The problem is the contractor like not so keen on rectify this problem. At 1st the lower unit owner call him 2 times. He say will come down check but nv come. Then the HDB officer call him 2 times oso but nv come down. It was until the HDB send me letter, I called, then he send his worker down. Like wanna drag time.

Meanwhile, I go to apologise to the owner. Lucky he is understanding. So hope theres no call from him on monday.

my unit also kana, but i'm the lower unit one. but both of us didnt reno the toilet so the warranty is still under HDB. now still waiting for hdb contractor to solve the issue.