Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Marcus168

First Resale 5a Hdb Flat At Jurong West

Most likely plumbing, plaster and tile same person.

Carpentry and electrical different.

Never try before, so not sure about the result. As a reference, i get a quote from a contractor who will do everything, the quote add up to about 30K. So my objective is to do it about the same cost but with better material.

Hi, welcome to renotalk!

I also same as you, diy coordination. I just got a quote from the same guy as you, wonder if his workmanship can make it or not :)

My quote is about 9k including hacking, tiling, plastering whole house wall&ceiling.

I suggest plumbing and electrical get separately from the same guy better. Otherwise your water pipes and your electrical cable fight each other :)

Carpentry get last.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Checked up a number of tile contractor from strait time classified, friend's friend and internet. Here the summary if got.

How they price for their tile work. Basically divided into 3 parts.

A. Hacking and removing

B. Material used in laying tile and Laying Tile

C. Cost of Tile.

A. Hacking and removing

Friend - 3.5K

Internet 3 K

Strait Time - 3 K

B. Material used in laying tile and Laying Tile (Cost per square foot)

Friend - 5.3 psf (No different for 600*600 and 800*800) warranty 1 year

Internet - 3.5 psf (No different for 600*600 and 800*800) warranty 1 year

Strait Time (Called few of them)

1- 4.0 psf (No different for 600*600 and 800*800)

2. 2.9 psf (No different for 600*600 and 800*800) warranty 2 year and guarantee good workmanship

3. 3.3 psf (600*600, 4.3 800*800)

Got one advertise, hacking 0.5 psf, floor $1.00 psf, 1.5 psf for wall. But did not call... Too cheap to be true?

Most of them say that they have more than 10 years experiences.

As for tile, will be buying directly from tile supplier. Most likely can get 10% discount from display price.

Most likely give the job to the 2.9 psf guy. Who give a warranty 2 year and guarantee good workmanship. Woo... friend friend quoted the most expensive!

which is better For restroom?

A full wall tile or 1.8 M wall tile for restroom?

Is cheaper to have 1.8 M wall tiles, can save about 20% of the tiling cost. But how is the maintenance and look?

Will have more variety in the design as i can paint whatever color on the top of 1.8M. Is like 4 season, 4 different color. Just need to paint whatever u like.

If whole wall is white, a bit plain. Can add vertical or horizontal different color wall tile but one done, cannot change color.

The only disadvantage is maintenance, after looking at my mother house of 25 years, the wall at above 1.8 meter look very clean, so worth a try... If later not satisfy can add the tile to full wall.

Anyone try designing not full wall tile for restroom? Do u like to it?

ScreenShot037.jpg

Will be meeting one of the contractor today. This contractor is doing tile work. Not sure what will be his quote.

Get a quote from Tiler seng (From this forum) for 9k for doing when main work. His qoute does not include tiles as I am buying tile myself.

Will get a few quote before deciding.

Now still deciding what to do for my bedroom. Either use laminate or same as living room. Any good recommendation.

Here a picture if use tile for living, dining and bedroom.

ScreenShot001.jpg

Huh? Heard a ID shared that they don't take such arrangement as tiles comes with various quality, it may look nice but the quality may not be good. Therefore will affect the laying of tiles workmanship. Thus, will only take tiles from his list of shops that he bring us to..

You heard about this before?

Most likely plumbing, plaster and tile same person.

Carpentry and electrical different.

Never try before, so not sure about the result. As a reference, i get a quote from a contractor who will do everything, the quote add up to about 30K. So my objective is to do it about the same cost but with better material.

Actually quite admire your plan to do it yourself instead of getting a ID to everything for you : )

Really looking forward to have a glimpse of your new house.

Jus wonder your kitchen required total how many "ft" of cabinet?

Possible to PM your carpentry and electrical contacts?

Hi, welcome to renotalk!

I also same as you, diy coordination. I just got a quote from the same guy as you, wonder if his workmanship can make it or not :)

My quote is about 9k including hacking, tiling, plastering whole house wall&ceiling.

I suggest plumbing and electrical get separately from the same guy better. Otherwise your water pipes and your electrical cable fight each other :)

Carpentry get last.

Hi Ossify,

Is this your first time doing or have some experience before?

You sound savvy.

Even before your get the house key, already make up your mind what to do exactly .. even with exact items, brand n model.. Wow!

Just wonder is electric wiring, air con need to run and be in place first before flooring, then carpentry then the plastering and painting?

Me newbie here... wonder how should the process like..

Lots of things to learn here.. : )

Hi Ossify,

Is this your first time doing or have some experience before?

You sound savvy.

Even before your get the house key, already make up your mind what to do exactly .. even with exact items, brand n model.. Wow!

Just wonder is electric wiring, air con need to run and be in place first before flooring, then carpentry then the plastering and painting?

Me newbie here... wonder how should the process like..

Lots of things to learn here.. : )

The process for mine is as follows:

> Design and cost estimation (I based on budget to design my house)

> Hacking (And tiling work material)

> Flooring and plumbing (Buy toilets and kitchen accessory)

> Plastering (Make sure remove all wiring and air - con first)

> Electrical

> Cabinet

> Painting

> Clearing

The process for mine is as follows:

> Design and cost estimation (I based on budget to design my house)

> Hacking (And tiling work material)

> Flooring and plumbing (Buy toilets and kitchen accessory)

> Plastering (Make sure remove all wiring and air - con first)

> Electrical

> Cabinet

> Painting

> Clearing

Hi Marcus168,

Your process is good. Remember to check for the waterproofing, very important for those who d.i.y cause usually no warranty.

For painting, you can have a 1st coat of painting first before electrical so that the area behind the casing/trunking will be same colour as the rest of the wall. This will only show when you need to remove the casing infuture. I think mine is painting before carpentry, but the painter will come back to touchup quite a number of time after the carpentry is up. :)

And for those who intend to box up their pipings/electrical stuff in the bathroom, they might have to do them before all the tiling is done.

Are you changing your windows? For windows, its the kitchen and bathroom window to be up before tiling.

Huh? Heard a ID shared that they don't take such arrangement as tiles comes with various quality, it may look nice but the quality may not be good. Therefore will affect the laying of tiles workmanship. Thus, will only take tiles from his list of shops that he bring us to..

You heard about this before?

Nope, most of them recommend 600*600 for living room and the tile is straight and more easy to lay.

For 800*800, it more difficult to lay straight as the tile might not be straight.

so far i checked, most of them also help you to select tiles if u let them do the tile work.

Went down to Toh Guan (Soon Bee Huat) and have a feel of the tiles on display and kitchen design and restroom design display.

Woo... too many choice until don't know how to select!!! Sometime see too many let me feel confuse and the selection is too huge!

Spend almost 3 hours there, slowly went through most of the display restroom and sit for a while for each restroom and feel if i like the atmosphere. I lot of sample for u to feel it.. See what color and matching let u feel good and comfortable. I am trying this to help me chose the color for the restroom and kitchen.

After 3 hours, still can't decide which color i really like. But have some feel that a bright color with line running horizontally i like most for my restroom.

Most of the display cater for private house. Did not have sample for HDB flat..... Well the boss maybe don't cater for 80% hdb market share. The boss should build more sample for HDB la... how can don't cater for 80% of the market. Also the lighting does not really match hdb flat too. So difficult to have a feel of which tiles to chose.

If will be nice if they have sample of HDB flat! Which is small.

Overall, personally, this place still the best place to have a ideas of which tile and color for u to chose.

Asked quotation for the $2.9 psf and $3.5 psf. U know what...

2.9 psf quotation is more expensive by 1K for the tiling work. Which include water pipe, washing, fridge and cabinet base, bath tub. installation of toilet, basin etc.

I got a designer house to quote for the whole house, the tiling work price is almost same as the tiling work done by the Internet 3.5 psf. (Quite difficult to compare the price as the tiles price is included for the designer house)

Checked up a number of tile contractor from strait time classified, friend's friend and internet. Here the summary if got.

How they price for their tile work. Basically divided into 3 parts.

A. Hacking and removing

B. Material used in laying tile and Laying Tile

C. Cost of Tile.

A. Hacking and removing

Friend - 3.5K

Internet 3 K

Strait Time - 3 K

B. Material used in laying tile and Laying Tile (Cost per square foot)

Friend - 5.3 psf (No different for 600*600 and 800*800) warranty 1 year

Internet - 3.5 psf (No different for 600*600 and 800*800) warranty 1 year

Strait Time (Called few of them)

1- 4.0 psf (No different for 600*600 and 800*800)

2. 2.9 psf (No different for 600*600 and 800*800) warranty 2 year and guarantee good workmanship

3. 3.3 psf (600*600, 4.3 800*800)

Got one advertise, hacking 0.5 psf, floor $1.00 psf, 1.5 psf for wall. But did not call... Too cheap to be true?

Most of them say that they have more than 10 years experiences.

As for tile, will be buying directly from tile supplier. Most likely can get 10% discount from display price.

Most likely give the job to the 2.9 psf guy. Who give a warranty 2 year and guarantee good workmanship. Woo... friend friend quoted the most expensive!

going to hack the floor and change the 300*300 to 800*800 floor tile. Tiler seng does not recommend 800*800 as some of the tile might look even. Still go ahead with the 800*800.

Paster whole living, ceiling and dining. change all eletrical

CIMG3731.JPG

CIMG3732.JPG

Edited by Marcus168

Toilets before renovation. Hack and redo both bathroom. Build long bath at master bathroom. Will be using city gas for the heater. (Installation of heater and piping of gas is done by city gas)

CIMG3737.JPG

CIMG3729.JPG

Edited by Marcus168