Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ioe

How To Identify Defects In My Newly Top Property?

:horse:8| How To Identify Defects In My Newly Top Property?, What is consider defects and why it's not rectified even after a while? Should renovation commence? :drunk::seeya::furious: Edited by ioe

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
:horse:8| How To Identify Defects In My Newly Top Property?, What is consider defects and why it's not rectified even after a while? Should renovation commence? :drunk::seeya::furious:

Are you appointing an ID or already appointed one? The id will supposedly help you to check for defects. Common defects include checking the tiles (floor and wall) in the entire house for cracks/chips. Checking the wardrobes surfaces and door surfaces for scratches/dirty markings, etc. check the wardrobe doors can close properly. Checking the parquet flooring and skirting for scratches and cracks. checking the water pipes for leakage or clogging in the basins/WC/shower, checking the air con works and the remote controls also work, check the cooker hob and nob work. check the door security system phone. check the water heaters are working. check and knock on all the tiles and hear whether any tile returns a hollow sound underneath (cos it means the tile will crack very easily in future as developer didn't lay the tile properly with sufficient cement).

Basically, check everything that you see. Depending on how yim chim you are, some colleagues suggest I bring along a ball and roll onto the floor to check for unlevel flooring. My balcony ceiling was also not level as the developer didn't do a good job and I told them to make it level. Check to see whether any possibility of people breaking in by climbing over from the corridor into your balcony/bedroom window, etc. Hope the above helps.

I myself got a whole bunch of friends and family members to go around and hunt for defects for me. Cos the with more eyes, it is easier to really do a thorough check, then with just u and ur spouse looking around. Mine was more mah fan as the flooring, basic carpentry, washroom has already been done up by the developer. so more things to check.

one thing to consider is how fussy u want to be when looking for defects.

Cos if too fussy, the developer will take a long time to rectify, in the end, you will hold up your reno and shifting plans

Too chim chai, then you have to live them them... so need to compromise

I remember my current hse, too the developer 2 months plus to rectify. In the end, still got some minor stuffs not rectified or not rectified to my satisfaction.

In the end, I feel just let it go, with the "it will become like that sooner or later" mentality.

BTW, it is recommended to rectify the defects before getting your ID in. This is to avoid complications such as pushing of blames. I personally have got the developer to rectify some last min defects after the ID has finished work without much problems. but best to avoid if u can

Edited by hawthorne