Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
terenceyyk

Considering Hack Or Overlay For Kitchen Floor Tiles

hi All,

during my search for reno works, 1 ID recommend to me overlay of my kitchen tiles to cut down the costs for my reno, he say that the result is the same and there is no consequences even 5 years down the road, except for the floor will be higher a bit but wont be noticable..

i ask another ID but he highly wont recommend as he says my flat is just 5 years old there will bound to have hollows in my tiles which if i overlay, the tiles will bloat up and need to redo the whole flooring again..

anyone can advise which is better?hack,lay new tiles or overlay?

yyk

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

honestly, i'd think that its really a matter of what u want 1st. why i say so? in my case, i decided to overlay.

n like ur experience w "another ID", those that ask me hack n lay i'll tend not to go w them. reason being

that they r already "used" to this idea. and i feel that should i insist, they'll do a half-standard job n when

problems really happen, they'll happily say "see, i already ask u to hack n lay mar, but u chose otherwise"

maybe i'm too pessimistic, but that's just my personal thoughts. hope this helps bro. n good luck in ur search! :)

honestly, i'd think that its really a matter of what u want 1st. why i say so? in my case, i decided to overlay.

n like ur experience w "another ID", those that ask me hack n lay i'll tend not to go w them. reason being

that they r already "used" to this idea. and i feel that should i insist, they'll do a half-standard job n when

problems really happen, they'll happily say "see, i already ask u to hack n lay mar, but u chose otherwise"

maybe i'm too pessimistic, but that's just my personal thoughts. hope this helps bro. n good luck in ur search! :)

thx bro..ur advice also has a point here...when i approach the other id who told me to hack n lay, he insists that there will be problems if i do overlay...zzz

thx bro..ur advice also has a point here...when i approach the other id who told me to hack n lay, he insists that there will be problems if i do overlay...zzz

I did overlay my kitchen tile 3yrs ago and intend to do so for my new house due to tight budget. Honestly, I cant tell if its overlay or not coz its doesnt look so much different. Hopes by now you have decided what to do.

i would say of cos if you have the budget for it, than hack...

if not than overlay..

but need to check the condition of the exisiting tiles if overlay can be done.

Cuz u wouldnt want prob to arises like 2 yrs later or so.. which will incurr a higher cost right.

so u need to determine what it works for you.. :)

I would hack and relay. You never know what is the condition of the piping underneath. By hacking you are "getting a peace of mind"(granted that your contractor does a good job). Just to share my experience, I had to redo my toilet floor due to a leakage, y contractor found that it is due to piping which was laid in an incline instead of recline, hence water was always in the pipe to a point where it leaked out to the flooring and my neighbour's toilet.

Imagine the money wasted if this happens to your kitchen? Although there is less risk for the kitchen but you do not know how much is invested in the previous renovation. Another sharing, I know of a friend who got a new flat is is very certain of selling it 5 years later, he got the contractor to give him lousier materials.

hi All,

during my search for reno works, 1 ID recommend to me overlay of my kitchen tiles to cut down the costs for my reno, he say that the result is the same and there is no consequences even 5 years down the road, except for the floor will be higher a bit but wont be noticable..

i ask another ID but he highly wont recommend as he says my flat is just 5 years old there will bound to have hollows in my tiles which if i overlay, the tiles will bloat up and need to redo the whole flooring again..

anyone can advise which is better?hack,lay new tiles or overlay?

yyk

Whether the tiles are hollow or not, they will be able to check it. Any flats that is 20 yrs old, I will recommend hack and re-tile as the water proofing should be gone by then. Any flat that is below 10 years, overlay shouldn't be a problem and in between need to check on the condition of the existing tiles before making the correct decision.

Tiles will get hollow if they are not using the proper tile adhesive for the job.

I have a solution and that is to ask them to apply waterproofing onto the exsiting tiles before ;aying the new tiles.

This will reduce the messy, shorten the renovation time and giving you another waterproofing protection.

Try not to damage the exsting waterproofing if your flat is new build and still within 10 years because the main-contractor did give a 10 yrs warranty to HDB and if any one damage the waterproofing, the warranty is void.