Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
JK_headache

Projector For Living Room

halo there !

ive juz bgt a flat with my fiance in the northeast :)

fortunately, the flat is nicely done up and the seller is using a projector as his TV in his living room.

All the wirings, brackets for the projector and the screen has aldy been done up so......my fiance and i have sort of decided to retain the idea of using a projector in the living rm.

any experts here can advice us on what brands / model to get ?

any projectors owners here, care to share ur experience with us ? :D

SITEX coming liao...hope they got gd deal there....

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
halo there !

ive juz bgt a flat with my fiance in the northeast :)

fortunately, the flat is nicely done up and the seller is using a projector as his TV in his living room.

All the wirings, brackets for the projector and the screen has aldy been done up so......my fiance and i have sort of decided to retain the idea of using a projector in the living rm.

any experts here can advice us on what brands / model to get ?

any projectors owners here, care to share ur experience with us ? :D

SITEX coming liao...hope they got gd deal there....

InFocus, Optpma, Epson and Sanyo are really good bets.

You might want to inform yourself a bit and look at the projectors.

LCD projectors tend to be bigger but don't produce a rainbow eefect.

DLP projectors are smaller, have better colour (slightly), but can produce a rainbow effect. (google rainbow effect. some people see a rainbow effect when looking at DLP projectors. I have no such problems but some of my friends see it a lot).

Optoma HD20 is the cheapest 1080p (HD) projector in the market.

you need to also consider light control in the form of dark out curtains, etc...

do you also have budget for a screen? helps to a certain extent.....

if you are a heavy TV watcher, consider also the cost of bulb replacement, wont be cheap and average life is >2500hrs onwards....

Yep.... bulbs cost lots of money, so bare that in mind.

You should know that home cinema projectors are produced with lower brightness, because if it's too bright, your eyes will find the image harsh and not so comfy to look at like in the cinema, so like deepakvali said, you need to dark out your room.

Having said that most home cinema projectors with more than 1200 lumens will work nicel even if there's some light or ambient light.

If you are going to use this as a TV you probably will want more ANSI Lumens / brightness.

Or just use a projector AND a TV.

I'm installing both in my living room. For cinematic experience, playing games and havving your buddies over to watch football nothing beats a projector, but to watch serials, cooking shows and the news, you'll probably want to do that with a TV.

Elfettucine, deepakvali !

thank you both for the info and prompt reply :)

i went to Parisilk today and enquire on projectors and the guy told me that NEC is a good buy? is it?

din ask him for the model thou but he quoted me ard $2k.

i have heard ppl reccomending infocus, but then again...not sure on wic model to get.

maybe i need to make a trip to adelphi to look ard and learn a bit.

Elfe - saw ur wish list of gettin a infocus projector...is it a gd one?

and u mention that i might need one with higher lumus, how much sld it be ?

deepakvali - ur set up looks cool !~

yap, if a screen can help, i dun mind getting a better screen, but again...how muc will it cost me?

hope im not taking too muc of ur time :)

thanks again !~~

I am planning to get this from the States. Based on reviews for that kind of money there's nothing out there can beat it.

Panasonic AE4000

Imagine it is USD1999 about S$3000, in SG the selling price is $K. :(

Nice!!

How are you going to transport it? Using Singpost from LA? or straight be UPS, FedEx etc...?

How about warranty. Is it worldwide and will the service ctr here honour it?

thank you for your compliments..... my setup actually has changed somewhat.....when my work travel schedule dies down next month, i will put up a new pix for your viewing.....

a screen can come cheap but those are basic screens with no real gains in contrast, blacks, etc....diff screen type can assist in giving you some additional gains depending on what you are lacking :)

it can be as basic as couple of hundred for a 70odd inch onwards to many thousands - leave it to the discerning eye again.

i would recommend a fix mount screen if possible as the pull down screen would end up with ripples (curls) over time.

i got myself a carada direct from US - hand carried back in one of my trips to the US at extremely good value.

to buy anything overseas, for me to consider giving up the warranty would be dictated by the cost savings, if i can achieve at least 50% of the cost, then i think it is a worthwhile gamble, so my bluray player etc were all purchased overseas and handcarried back - forgoing the local warranty but hey, its big savings.

using fedex, etc to ship it back would also be fine but would negate savings as logistics aint cheap and GST will be charged at the end.

in a month or two, i got lobang for Optoma HD86, brand new but without warranty as its not a local singapore set but very attractively prices, <S$2500.

yo ...

deepakvali - looks like u got big budget huh :D wahahhaa

tink im goin to be awe when i see ur lastest set up !

juz did the sums wif my fiance and tink we dun have tat muc budget liao :(

all of these add up, will cost a lot man...

on the brighter side, the owner is nice enuff and has offered to sell us his current set up.

its not too bad i tink, bcoz currently his wiring are inside false ceiling and nicely done up.

Central ctrl from the livin rm with pipe in audio to kitchen and MBR toilet (speakers in ceilin).

items he sellin me are :

items incl. - 5 x satellite speakers from Garrard OT USA, 1 x 100w Roberston woofer, 1 x Pionner Receiver, 1 x DVD player, 1 x Panasonic projector (need to change buld), 1 x motorised projector screen.

all of these goin for $1600.

i tink the price is alright...wat say u guys?

any advice for greeny here?

i hate to dissapoint you but i think the price quoted for the setup is not of good value...throw in another >S$500 for the bulb, you are looking at >S$2100.

from the description, the setup is already old, approximately 5yrs +/-....

with this same budget, you may get a new AVR that supports the latest audio formats, entry level sat/sub spk and a blu-ray player. u may continue to re-use the existing wirings in the false ceiling if you do not mind

hope this helps....

Thanks for all the helpful advices!! Was at Sitex yesterday and found 3 suitable infocus projectors that sound really like a good deal.. But still deciding which to get... Just want to seek opinions with you based on the below specs....

1) Infocus : IN35 : S$ 999

DLP lense

XGS/WXGA Resolution

2500 max Ansi Lumens

5 yrs warranty

2) Infocus : X21 : S$ 799 (Free 1 additional lamp)

DLP Lense

XGA Resolution

2000 max Ansi Lumens

1800:1 Contrast Ratio

2 yrs warranty

3) Infocus : X16: S$ 499

DLP Lense

SVGA Resolutin

2400 max Ansi Lumens

2000:1 Contrast Ratio

2 yrs warranty

bro,

the models you shortlisted are actually not home theatre calibrated models but this does not mean they **** be used for visual entertainment. shall spare the details on the actual difference between these models as it may bore you out.

Infocus IN35 - not short throw means you need longer distance to get a certain diagonal screen size. native is 4:3 means when you watch 16:9 movies, you get black bars top n bottom by default. only in 4:3 mode do you not get the bars but faces n objects would look odd for movies.

supports 720P though

Infocus X16 native 4:3 and 480P only.

Infocus X21 native 4:3 and 720P only.

All got no HDMI inputs....so do consider, these while are very affordable, are very basic models which if you are planning to own a Blu-ray player, would yield you no real benefits.

You maybe better off with a 2nd hand 720P/16:9 with HDMI PJ.

bro,

yo Bro deepakvali!

thank you soo muc for the info and advice !

sigh sigh...headache la...got this no that...anyway, i saw a few more projectors at the fair...u got the time to advice me further ? paiseh huh :D

) EPSON EB-W6 : $988 (Free screen)

2000 Lumens

WXGA (1280 x 800) resolution

HDMI input

USB wire connection

5)EPSON EB-S7: $888 (Free camera + free screen)

2300 Lumens

SVGA (800 x 600) resolution

2000:1 contrast

USB wire connection

6) EPSON EB-X7: $1088 (Free camera + free screen)

2200 Lumens

XGA (1024 x 768) resolution

2000:1 contrast

USB wire connection

7) SAMSUNG SP-L300: $1299 (free 1 camera)

3000 lumens

3 LCD/XGA

500:1 contrast

HDMI

if worst come worst, we will juz buy over the old projector from the current owner of our flat.

its a Panasonic Projector and he has been usin it for almost 5 yrs liao...got to change buld for sure...

hmmmm..... :unsure:

bro, no prob to assist you, me not in sgp, so nothing much to distract me for now.... :)

i should ask you whats your budget for a pj, do you wan it new or do not mind a used set?

Optoma HD20 is a good value buy as recommended but your budget matters too...so got to balance between good value versus affordability.