Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
macbart

Henderson Makeover

Nine Days Later...

It's the last day of the year and it's been nine days since we moved into our newly-renovated flat, but the place still isn't "done". Well, the renovation work is over, except for the larder door that needs to be changed cos the current one has a tiny dent on the surface. Andy brought us the replacement door yesterday and Sam (the carpenter) will be over some time next week to remove the existing door and put in the new one.

We moved with 50 boxes of our stuff on December 22, with all our furniture still flat-packed and no wardrobe or curtains. Andrew and a couple of his colleagues from MGL Curtains came over at about 1.30pm on Monday and had all the curtains (tracks for both day and night curtains and the curtains) installed by 2pm. About 30 minutes later, the installers from Opsh arrived and got to work. Three hours later, we had our wardrobe and could finally begin unpacking our clothes.

As of today, we've assembled all the flat-packed furniture and we have another 20 boxes to unpack. We're hoping to be able to get through these boxes over the next few days.

dec31_4.jpg

So parts of the new home are still in transition, as you see from this picture. That's the dining table (customised from the Giman kitchen island top from Ikea's "as-is" section and four Vika Oleby legs - total cost = $68) with four red (though they look more orange) Urban chairs (also from Ikea) in the foreground and flattened boxes (the ones we've unpacked) in the background. That burgundy thing you see on the right is the replacement door for our larder unit.

dec31_3.jpg

We've been using the kitchen since the day after we moved. And for dinner today, we had rosemary focaccia, baked potato...

dec31_1.jpg

...and broccoli-carrot soup.

dec31_2.jpg

The one room in our home that's been fully functional from the day we moved in was the bathroom. :)

dec31_7.jpg

Your place looks fantastic! Congrats on the moving in... BTW who's the baker in the house?

Edited by yuene

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Your place looks fantastic! Congrats on the moving in... BTW who's the baker in the house?

Hi Yuene, thanx for the compliment. Tomorrow will be exactly two weeks since we moved in... and we still haven't fully unpacked! Not sure when we'll be. :unsure:

Both my wife and I bake. :)

Hi Yuene, thanx for the compliment. Tomorrow will be exactly two weeks since we moved in... and we still haven't fully unpacked! Not sure when we'll be. :unsure:

Both my wife and I bake. :)

Haha... moving in takes time la! It took my hb and I a few months to finish all the unpacking hahahaha oh dear I think I'm scaring you.

Nicee... It's quite rare for guys to bake (though I have a few guy friends who do bake...) When did you pick it up?

Congrats!

Looks like i better prep Mrs Buzz to get ready to wash the place b4 letting the flooring guys start :P

Just Mrs Buzz? Or I presume you mean Mrs Buzz with Mr Buzz? :D

Haha... moving in takes time la! It took my hb and I a few months to finish all the unpacking hahahaha oh dear I think I'm scaring you.

Nicee... It's quite rare for guys to bake (though I have a few guy friends who do bake...) When did you pick it up?

That long!?!?!?!?!? I really hope we can be unpacked and settled in soon.

Baking... well, my mum had an oven. But I didn't really use it much. Then last year, my wife and I bought a bread machine... and that's how we started making bread more often than buying it. And when we planned this place, we knew we wanted a proper oven... and I guess that's how I picked it up? I haven't done desserts or anything like that. So far, it's been bread and potato/veggies.

That long!?!?!?!?!? I really hope we can be unpacked and settled in soon.

Baking... well, my mum had an oven. But I didn't really use it much. Then last year, my wife and I bought a bread machine... and that's how we started making bread more often than buying it. And when we planned this place, we knew we wanted a proper oven... and I guess that's how I picked it up? I haven't done desserts or anything like that. So far, it's been bread and potato/veggies.

... yes. Unfortunately, it WAS a few months. 2.5, to be exact :wacko: We be very slow at these things.

Oooh that's nice! But yeah, desserts tend to be a bit harder. My oven is used for savouries, like meats and shepherd's pies, and sometimes tarts. Have you tried herb-baked potatoes?

... yes. Unfortunately, it WAS a few months. 2.5, to be exact :wacko: We be very slow at these things.

Oooh that's nice! But yeah, desserts tend to be a bit harder. My oven is used for savouries, like meats and shepherd's pies, and sometimes tarts. Have you tried herb-baked potatoes?

I think we'll be baking savoury dishes more often too. Herb-baked potato? Er... I dunno if this qualifies... when I baked a dish for the Christmas gathering at friends' place, I peeled and cut potatoes into large chunks, partially boiled them. Then drizzled some olive oil on a baking pan, tossed the potato chunks in, along with chunks of carrot and a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme (along with some salt and pepper). Then when it was about half done, I added chunks of eggplant and large slices of green and red capsicum and drizzled a little more olive oil over the top and put it back in the oven.

I think we'll be baking savoury dishes more often too. Herb-baked potato? Er... I dunno if this qualifies... when I baked a dish for the Christmas gathering at friends' place, I peeled and cut potatoes into large chunks, partially boiled them. Then drizzled some olive oil on a baking pan, tossed the potato chunks in, along with chunks of carrot and a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme (along with some salt and pepper). Then when it was about half done, I added chunks of eggplant and large slices of green and red capsicum and drizzled a little more olive oil over the top and put it back in the oven.

Oh! That sounds lovely.... and eggplant is delicious anywhere!! Just out of curiosity, you used ground black pepper?

For mine, I cut up some baby red potatoes and onions, and then tossed them with butter, olive oil, pepper, chopped up basil and parsley, and added a dash of paprika. Bunged it in the oven for 40 minutes at 200 degrees C...

ARGH all this food talk is making me drool...

Just Mrs Buzz? Or I presume you mean Mrs Buzz with Mr Buzz? :D

Better be else Mr Buzz ears will be like Dumbo. :P

But that's the best case, worse might be just Mr Buzz :(

Better be else Mr Buzz ears will be like Dumbo. :P

But that's the best case, worse might be just Mr Buzz :(

*LOL* I literally laughed out loud and my wife wanted to know why, so I showed her what you said. :D

Oh! That sounds lovely.... and eggplant is delicious anywhere!! Just out of curiosity, you used ground black pepper?

For mine, I cut up some baby red potatoes and onions, and then tossed them with butter, olive oil, pepper, chopped up basil and parsley, and added a dash of paprika. Bunged it in the oven for 40 minutes at 200 degrees C...

ARGH all this food talk is making me drool...

That sounds good. I should try it.

I use a pepper mill... and yes, black pepper.

Hi Pomme, sorry for my tardy reply... just noticed your comment.

We got it through our contractor... and paid $110 per foot run. We used LG Hi-Macs for our bathroom vanity counter top too (Black Pearl). We figured we'd pay the extra for it (instead of Marstone, which is what we were initially quoted) cos it's non-porous, stain resistant and guaranteed for 10 years.

How much did you pay for yours? Are you allowed to reveal the figure? :)

Hi macbart,

$110 per foot run is the normal usual price for selecting Black Pearl.

Oh yes, Hi-Macs come with 10 yrs warranty and non-porous. In market, onli Corian top is the same standard with LG with non-porous. Tat's is y I choose them too plus the discount of course. :D

My manager giving me a special price (acutally is developer price) @$78 per foot run (cos I choosen the same price range as yours). My gf has choosen a more expensive range so she's getting @$98 per foot run which usual retail price is around $130 or $140? So we still save quite a lot on it. Reno don't come in cheap so can save y not rite?

Juz tat I feel paiseh as he has been questioned by my ex-boss how come retail customer the price given is developer pricing. But he managed to get thru it.