Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
macbart

Henderson Makeover

Hope you don't mind but I feel the one which you haven't chosen is not very nice, mainly because the brown looks like coffee or soya sauce kind of stain if you know what I mean. Just my 2 cents. But if your choice is quartz, then I think that is the nicest among it. :)

Hi Mickey, no worries. :)

We initially were looking at black, but we were advised against it cos scratches apparently are more obvious with dark surfaces. Plus we didn't have that full list of colours to choose from. Apparently, not all are available in Singapore. So we ended up choosing something we hope will turn out nice.

I guess I'll find out later today. The top was supposed to have been installed yesterday, but it wasn't. When Andy called them to check, he was told that they would do it this morning. I hope they've done cos it's gone get busy later with the completion of electrical and plumbing work and touch up of painting tomorrow.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Prep for Flooring

Yesterday was the big clean-up. Well, not the final clean-up (that will come next weekend). But we figured we ought to sweep and mop the floors in preparation for the installation of the veneered flooring tomorrow. So we spent the afternoon moving everything (mainly purchases from Ikea) into the kitchen, then we swept and mopped the living room, bedroom, entertainment room and study floors.

dec12_2.jpg

Hi Mr Macbart,

I did the shifting of all many stuffs from the rooms to the kitchen on Sunday and did the clean up of the entire house all by myself...to prepare for the laminated flooring installation by Kronotex on Monday.

It is so tiring....but when I went up my place to look at the entire house last night...I knew all the hardwork paid off as they are so beautifully done...

Your flooring is so nicely done up too... :good:

My poor hubby was at the flat the whole afternoon and now to see to the finishing touches of the plumber and electrician.

:(

I cook dinner liao - Borlotti bean penne pasta with roasted pine nuts and home-made french onion soup.

Waiting for him to come home .... hope its soon.

I smell like an oily onion now!

Anyway we have yet to pack!

Oh noo ... the present house is in the mess and we got to pack cos the movers are coming over this Tuesday morning.

I wonder if its possible

Die die got to finish packing I guess.

This saturday we got to go in to do the overall cleaning for the new flat to ready it for our stuff and moving in.

It's so weird.

Meaning next week, I have to figure out how to get to work from the new house!

So fast! I am not quite mentally adjusted yet :o

:horse:

Hi Mr Macbart,

I did the shifting of all many stuffs from the rooms to the kitchen on Sunday and did the clean up of the entire house all by myself...to prepare for the laminated flooring installation by Kronotex on Monday.

It is so tiring....but when I went up my place to look at the entire house last night...I knew all the hardwork paid off as they are so beautifully done...

Your flooring is so nicely done up too... :good:

Hey Danny, that sounds like too much work for one person. At least with our place, there were two of us... and this Saturday, we may have a third cos one of my wife's friends has offered to help us clean up. :)

Hi Macbart,

Yr place is looking very nice... :P

Do u buy the Ikea Laminate flooring and get someone else to install for u?

I am getting my laminate fm Supreme directly and not fm my ID, does that means I have to clean and mop

my bedrooms floors for the Supreme pple on the installation day?

Hi Macbart,

Yr place is looking very nice... :P

Do u buy the Ikea Laminate flooring and get someone else to install for u?

I am getting my laminate fm Supreme directly and not fm my ID, does that means I have to clean and mop

my bedrooms floors for the Supreme pple on the installation day?

Hi catseyes, thanx for the compliment.

We used Ikea's recommended installer. It's interesting that when I went down to their little office at the Alexandra branch (near the delivery counter), the card I was given said "Citiart Pte Ltd", but the email from the person I spoke with was from an "@powerdeko" address. And the installers all wore "power deko" t-shirts"... but I was asked to make the cheque out to "Citiart". I guess they're related companies?

Do you need to clean and mop? I don't know, really. We just thought we'd do it cos our floors were kinda dirty and we didn't know if the installers would clean up first before laying the floors. :P

I also did my sweeping and mopping before handing over to the laminated floor installer...my thought, this is my house and I think I will be better ensure that nothing unwanted be left under the flooring....hahaa

Hi catseyes, thanx for the compliment.

We used Ikea's recommended installer. It's interesting that when I went down to their little office at the Alexandra branch (near the delivery counter), the card I was given said "Citiart Pte Ltd", but the email from the person I spoke with was from an "@powerdeko" address. And the installers all wore "power deko" t-shirts"... but I was asked to make the cheque out to "Citiart". I guess they're related companies?

Do you need to clean and mop? I don't know, really. We just thought we'd do it cos our floors were kinda dirty and we didn't know if the installers would clean up first before laying the floors. :P

I also did my sweeping and mopping before handing over to the laminated floor installer...my thought, this is my house and I think I will be better ensure that nothing unwanted be left under the flooring....hahaa

Hi macbart n dannywmp,

I went up to my new hse tis morn, my ID has arranged for all the rubbish to be cleared and a worker was seen

doing acid wash and clean the whole hse flooring.

ID has told me he has helped me to arrange Supreme to come in on Mon to install...

I just went up hse to see, the whole hse floor is all clean, I walked in barefoot.. hehehhe :P

Must really tks my ID cos I did not get Supreme fm him... but direct some time ago...

Edited by catseyes2004sg

Hi macbart n dannywmp,

I went up to my new hse tis morn, my ID has arranged for all the rubbish to be cleared and a worker was seen

doing acid wash and clean the whole hse flooring.

ID has told me he has helped me to arrange Supreme to come in on Mon to install...

I just went up hse to see, the whole hse floor is all clean, I walked in barefoot.. hehehhe :P

Must really tks my ID cos I did not get Supreme fm him... but direct some time ago...

It's good that your ID is taking care of stuff like that (and receiving your deliveries while you're away). :good:

In our case, the acid wash was done and everything was looking really good. But there was other work done the next few days... which resulted in dust. We figured we should sweep and mop the whole place to make sure it was clean before the flooring was installed. :)

Delays with the End in Sight

I don't know if you've ever climbed a mountain or run a marathon. If you have, perhaps you've experienced how it feels when you've pushed yourself, even through the pain barrier (usually more mental than physical), kept encouraging yourself to keep going, thinking about the sense of accomplishment you'll feel when you complete the quest. Then just as the end approaches, when you can actually see the finish, you stumble upon an obstacle that seems impossible to overcome.

It feels that way now. But just as with a marathon or a mountain, we'll just have to push on.

After the veneered flooring was installed on Monday, the solid surface for the kitchen and bathroom cabinets was supposed to have been installed on Tuesday, with the mirror in the bathroom installed Wednesday morning and the completion of the electrical and plumbing work later that day, and touch up of painting on Thursday. That would have given us Friday/Saturday to clean the place and get it ready for us to move in on Tuesday, December 22.

That was the plan, "was" being the operative word in the sentence.

When I dropped by on Tuesday evening, I found the carpenter there, adjusting some of the drawers in the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, which still lacked their solid surface tops.

I called Andy, who checked with LG and learnt that they would do it the next morning, which meant that the electrical and plumbing work would have to wait till the evening.

By Wednesday evening, the solid surfaces had been installed, but there was no sign of the mirror!

The electricians and plumbers were efficient and got everything done in a couple of hours, but by Wednesday night, I learnt that that while the mirror would be up the next day, the painters weren't available till Saturday morning. That would mean we could only begin cleaning the place in the afternoon.

We arrived at our flat ready to begin work, but to our dismay we noticed that the painters had missed quite a bit (a tiny bit of white just above the skirting on a wall that's purple ash, and uneven edge on one side of the same wall where purple ash joins sail white, a white line just above the skirting along a wall that's painted silvermink, a white line above the skirting along a wall that's painted bisque in the living room, gaps between trunking and ceiling that weren't filled in and painted over, and patches of the ceiling in both the bathroom and kitchen that need touching up). Andy called them to try to get them back the same day, but they can only work on our place tomorrow.

Which means our hopes of washing, cleaning etc over the weekend didn't materialise. Instead we spent out time packing and have about 36 boxes sealed and a few more partially filled. And we'll have to go over tomorrow morning while the painters are there, to make sure they don't miss anything. And then clean up in the afternoon, before returning to finish packing, so we're ready to move at 9am on Tuesday morning.

It's been a tiring weekend... and will probably continue in that vein over the next few days.

If you're wondering about the drought of pictures this week, let us unpack a little on Tuesday and Wednesday... and I'll try to post some.

Edited by macbart

It's gonna be "Tundra Quartz" from LG Hi-Macs.

http://www.stockportsolidsurface.co.uk/lg_himac_colours.html

Hi macbart,

I oso using LG top, how much u paying for it and which sale person did u contacted?

I used to work for them and managed to contact my manager (now he promoted to GM i din even know...hahahaa), he realli give me a good price for it and I do save a lot on tis area.

I chosen Arctic Granite to go wif my theme.

http://www.lghi-macs.com/LGHI-MACScolors.html

(tis link provide a better pic on the color u have chosen)

Hey macbart, hang in there! Everything that seems like it'll never get better now, always does - eventually. :)

Jiayou buddy!

Hi annjoy, thanx for the encouragement. I didn't update and I didn't think to check this t-blog, so I didn't even see your comment till now. Sorry. :unsure:

A little over a week after moving in, things are taking shape. We still have about 20 more boxes of stuff to unpack and need to get a few more things, but at least it feels like home. :)

Hi macbart,

I oso using LG top, how much u paying for it and which sale person did u contacted?

I used to work for them and managed to contact my manager (now he promoted to GM i din even know...hahahaa), he realli give me a good price for it and I do save a lot on tis area.

I chosen Arctic Granite to go wif my theme.

http://www.lghi-macs.com/LGHI-MACScolors.html

(tis link provide a better pic on the color u have chosen)

Hi Pomme, sorry for my tardy reply... just noticed your comment.

We got it through our contractor... and paid $110 per foot run. We used LG Hi-Macs for our bathroom vanity counter top too (Black Pearl). We figured we'd pay the extra for it (instead of Marstone, which is what we were initially quoted) cos it's non-porous, stain resistant and guaranteed for 10 years.

How much did you pay for yours? Are you allowed to reveal the figure? :)

Nine Days Later...

It's the last day of the year and it's been nine days since we moved into our newly-renovated flat, but the place still isn't "done". Well, the renovation work is over, except for the larder door that needs to be changed cos the current one has a tiny dent on the surface. Andy brought us the replacement door yesterday and Sam (the carpenter) will be over some time next week to remove the existing door and put in the new one.

We moved with 50 boxes of our stuff on December 22, with all our furniture still flat-packed and no wardrobe or curtains. Andrew and a couple of his colleagues from MGL Curtains came over at about 1.30pm on Monday and had all the curtains (tracks for both day and night curtains and the curtains) installed by 2pm. About 30 minutes later, the installers from Opsh arrived and got to work. Three hours later, we had our wardrobe and could finally begin unpacking our clothes.

As of today, we've assembled all the flat-packed furniture and we have another 20 boxes to unpack. We're hoping to be able to get through these boxes over the next few days.

dec31_4.jpg

So parts of the new home are still in transition, as you see from this picture. That's the dining table (customised from the Giman kitchen island top from Ikea's "as-is" section and four Vika Oleby legs - total cost = $68) with four red (though they look more orange) Urban chairs (also from Ikea) in the foreground and flattened boxes (the ones we've unpacked) in the background. That burgundy thing you see on the right is the replacement door for our larder unit.

dec31_3.jpg

We've been using the kitchen since the day after we moved. And for dinner today, we had rosemary focaccia, baked potato...

dec31_1.jpg

...and broccoli-carrot soup.

dec31_2.jpg

The one room in our home that's been fully functional from the day we moved in was the bathroom. :)

dec31_7.jpg