Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
turtletrader

Robinsons Bedshop

Anyone bought anything from Robinsons bedshop yesterday (Dec 9th) at The Centrepoint?

Robinsons had their closed-door sales yesterday, with 7% off selected mattresses (in addition to a few ongoing promotions/rebates).

Picked up a Sealy Luxembourg - it boiled down to a few models, but in the end it was essentially a toss-up between the Luxembourg and Sealy's end-of-year model, Summit. Too close to call, with the Luxembourg having a plushier top versus the Summit (wasn't on display yesterday). The Summit in turn had a marginally better deal if one needed a bed frame.

We went through most of the works over the last 6 weeks - Simmons, Slumberland, Sealy, Serta, Omazz, Englander. Budget was around 2-3k. Needless to say, we also had to endure the manufacturers' ruse of juxtaposing of mattress models/names from one shop to the next, which as we all now know is meant to obfuscate us. If you cannot convince, confuse.

At each stage of the process, we realized that while we didn't have any set criteria on what to look out for (bar the budget) at the onset, the (long and drawn-out) process somewhat evolved and crystallized our expectations of a mattress. There were numerous occasions where we felt tempted to bust the budget, and almost did, but thankfully sanity prevailed.

Looking forward to taking delivery of the Luxembourg after Christmas.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

harvey norman has a $200 off mattress. after a lot of shopping and cross comparison i figured out which sealy bed names are of the same grade among the different shops. then i realise robinson mark up very high for their sales price, even after their member discount plus rebates etc, it was still $200 higher than harvey norman. eventually i got $300 off from HN instead of $200.

the bed i eyeing was called monte carlo, provence, knightsbridge, harmony at different shops.

they all have a cross reference list and i managed to take a look at it.

Edited by zhiz

Quite true - we went to HN as well to have a look.

Robinsons had 7% off specifically for Dec 9th, and if you have the Robinsons OCBC card (which you had to have for entry), there is another 5% rebate.

Anyone bought anything from Robinsons bedshop yesterday (Dec 9th) at The Centrepoint?

Robinsons had their closed-door sales yesterday, with 7% off selected mattresses (in addition to a few ongoing promotions/rebates).

Picked up a Sealy Luxembourg - it boiled down to a few models, but in the end it was essentially a toss-up between the Luxembourg and Sealy's end-of-year model, Summit. Too close to call, with the Luxembourg having a plushier top versus the Summit (wasn't on display yesterday). The Summit in turn had a marginally better deal if one needed a bed frame.

We went through most of the works over the last 6 weeks - Simmons, Slumberland, Sealy, Serta, Omazz, Englander. Budget was around 2-3k. Needless to say, we also had to endure the manufacturers' ruse of juxtaposing of mattress models/names from one shop to the next, which as we all now know is meant to obfuscate us. If you cannot convince, confuse.

At each stage of the process, we realized that while we didn't have any set criteria on what to look out for (bar the budget) at the onset, the (long and drawn-out) process somewhat evolved and crystallized our expectations of a mattress. There were numerous occasions where we felt tempted to bust the budget, and almost did, but thankfully sanity prevailed.

erm, u've e list or where to search for wat mattress is under what? eg. king coil can also be

known as snail coil or something like this? cause i super nooob to all these, so wana read up a bit, tanks zz

Quite true - we went to HN as well to have a look.

Robinsons had 7% off specifically for Dec 9th, and if you have the Robinsons OCBC card (which you had to have for entry), there is another 5% rebate.

can bargain one, ask for lower price cos outside cheaper (must know the bed names at other shops) or say other shop give more freebies for same price. i got extra mattress protector :)

So eventually how much did u paid for ur choice Luxembourg? must be pretty x i guess.

Doubt they can do much about the price. Besides, they'd probably say that the two models are different (that's why different shops have different names/nomenclature for similar mattresses, in addition to minute variations in beddings, fabric etc.). Did get an extra mattress protector and 2 extra pillows in addition to the 1 MP and 2 pillows originally given.

can bargain one, ask for lower price cos outside cheaper (must know the bed names at other shops) or say other shop give more freebies for same price. i got extra mattress protector :)
Edited by turtletrader

Doubt they can do much about the price. Besides, they'd probably say that the two models are different (that's why different shops have different names/nomenclature for similar mattresses, in addition to minute variations in beddings, fabric etc.). Did get an extra mattress protector and 2 extra pillows in addition to the 1 MP and 2 pillows originally given.

hi turtletrader, i posted a thread to u, could u help pls?

"erm, u've e list or where to search for wat mattress is under what? eg. king coil can also be

known as snail coil or something like this? cause i super nooob to all these, so wana read up a bit, tanks "

Hi noobhouse,

No, I don't have a list to search for different mattress names/models in different stores - there's no straightforward comparison as each would have different beddings/quilting, finishing etc. What *might* be comparable is the feel. There's no easy way out except to try ALOT of mattresses, narrow down to a few brands/makes and then find a common quality or characteristic that you like about the makes that you've shortlisted. Only then will you realize that there are a select few from different stores that *might* have the same underlying make-up (purely based on feel/comfort).

We went for a few brands as we just felt a little more assured of the quality - yes, the mattress might feel comfortable for the 5-10mins that you lie on it, but there's no way you'd be able to guess how it'd hold up over the next 10 years. Some mattresses had a full guarantee while others had a limited warranty, so again, you'd probably have to cough up abit more to get that extra peace of mind in the durability department.

We went to the different boutiques and stores over 6 weeks, starting off with no expectations in mind - only our budget. For example, I find that to get an equivalent feel for Simmons mattresses, I might have to fork out more that I would have to for say, a Sealy (this is just a personal opinion). And to make matters complex, the price difference between mattresses from the same maker can be very small, and you'd feel compelled to pay a hundred bucks or so more thinking that that marginal bit might be worth it. To each his own, so what might suit me (because of my physical make-up and comfort expectations) might be different from someone else.

No simple way around it (I wish I had a list to find comparable models between different makers and shops!) but to try, try, try. Hope that helps.

hi turtletrader, i posted a thread to u, could u help pls?

"erm, u've e list or where to search for wat mattress is under what? eg. king coil can also be

known as snail coil or something like this? cause i super nooob to all these, so wana read up a bit, tanks "

Hi noobhouse,

No, I don't have a list to search for different mattress names/models in different stores - there's no straightforward comparison as each would have different beddings/quilting, finishing etc. What *might* be comparable is the feel. There's no easy way out except to try ALOT of mattresses, narrow down to a few brands/makes and then find a common quality or characteristic that you like about the makes that you've shortlisted. Only then will you realize that there are a select few from different stores that *might* have the same underlying make-up (purely based on feel/comfort).

We went for a few brands as we just felt a little more assured of the quality - yes, the mattress might feel comfortable for the 5-10mins that you lie on it, but there's no way you'd be able to guess how it'd hold up over the next 10 years. Some mattresses had a full guarantee while others had a limited warranty, so again, you'd probably have to cough up abit more to get that extra peace of mind in the durability department.

We went to the different boutiques and stores over 6 weeks, starting off with no expectations in mind - only our budget. For example, I find that to get an equivalent feel for Simmons mattresses, I might have to fork out more that I would have to for say, a Sealy (this is just a personal opinion). And to make matters complex, the price difference between mattresses from the same maker can be very small, and you'd feel compelled to pay a hundred bucks or so more thinking that that marginal bit might be worth it. To each his own, so what might suit me (because of my physical make-up and comfort expectations) might be different from someone else.

No simple way around it (I wish I had a list to find comparable models between different makers and shops!) but to try, try, try. Hope that helps.

thank u thank u... really appreciate it, will try to sleep around more then.... wah haha!!! :dancingqueen:

actually sealy has a list of 'same model diff name' if you find ways to get to look at it.

i used that to compare and find out the names of the same mattress at diff shops

actually sealy has a list of 'same model diff name' if you find ways to get to look at it.

i used that to compare and find out the names of the same mattress at diff shops

i was reading through e mattress link someone gave & discovered that

even e top 3 mattress makers in e world have their fair share of complaints

(based on US customers), just wondering if the suitation is limited to states

or simply every brand will have their own defects?? :jawdrop:

Robinsons is having a mattress sale now. I'm interested in the Four Star Ortho Genesis Pocketed Spring Latex Mattress, but it seems that there are not many reviews on Four Star. Anyone can share your opinion? TIA!!

Robinsons is having a mattress sale now. I'm interested in the Four Star Ortho Genesis Pocketed Spring Latex Mattress, but it seems that there are not many reviews on Four Star. Anyone can share your opinion? TIA!!

what bout seahorse? dun seem to see it in shops leh :rolleyes:

i was reading through e mattress link someone gave & discovered that

even e top 3 mattress makers in e world have their fair share of complaints

(based on US customers), just wondering if the suitation is limited to states

or simply every brand will have their own defects?? :jawdrop:

thats why i go for sealy.

got free insurance :)