Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
chrysalis1972

寒舍@punggol

WOw.. Cant actually tell ur flat is 6 years old looking at the 2nd pic of ur living room.. all white walls with white shelves.. But yea the toilet is a giveaway!

I tink its cheaper to find something similar to what u want in stores and ask if they can make minor changes. I was at Mode design yesterday in Sugei Kadaut and they can do alot of changes to their stuff like different specific dimensions that i requested at maybe 100 bucks more! Probably still cheaper than wat your ID and contractor can quote? I asked Hommage to made minor alterations to my console and coffee table set...for free!! fyi, one of my IDs quoted me 1100 sgd for just the console when i got my console + coffee table altered set at only 899 from hommage!

ha, you mean my flat looks older than 6 years ar? :) guess it's partly due to photo quality also.. you know how "good" iphone camera is..:)

my alternations may not be "minor" per se.. looking at re-laminating the surface, re-chroming of legs, etc.. inspired by the stained oak veneer look and brushed steel legs..

alas, after browsing so many stores, either design cannot make it or price too high or both :) btw where is hommage? will likely visit sungei kadut this weekend.. :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi amrasenelya, yes i have hacked 2 rooms to become 1 larger mbr-cum-study. my living room is L-shaped and i intend to fix the aircon on the wall near the kitchen entrance. Coupled with a tower fan at the windows **** room area.. hope to cool down area faster.. not sure if it's possible :) last thing i want to do is to slave drive the compressor (which leads me to consider having a separate compressor just for the living & dining area)

if price of inverter and non-inverter is abt the same, i will go for inverter lo.. toshiba very ex le.. at least from what i was quoted at GC @ sengkang. Second to Carrier. Grrrrr... i will probably go to GC@amk and if i'm not wrong, GC is having an event at expo at end of the month..

I suggest you get a system 3 and a system 2, both non-invertor. Price would cost about $2600 in total. Don't ever pay more than that

system 2 (2x 9000BTU): Both FCU in MBR

system 3 (3x 9000BTU): 1 joint in living room, 1 joint in guest room 2, 1 standalone in living room

essentially, only 1 compressor (MBR) is working at night. if your guest room in used, then the other compressor will run at half capacity. If you switch on both FCUs in living room, your system 3 will run at full capacity and you should not switch on the guest room air con.

I suggest you get a system 3 and a system 2, both non-invertor. Price would cost about $2600 in total. Don't ever pay more than that

system 3 (3x 9000BTU): 1 joint in living room, 1 joint in guest room 2, 1 standalone in living room

essentially, only 1 compressor (MBR) is working at night. if your guest room in used, then the other compressor will run at half capacity. If you switch on both FCUs in living room, your system 3 will run at full capacity and you should not switch on the guest room air con.

Interesting setup. Why do you suggest non-inverter?

For my case, I would be thinking system 3 Inverter (2x9000+1x12000). Have not decided on the brand yet. But most probably will get inverter.

Hi ossify, thanks for the advice. For my info:

1) what's the difference between joint and standalone? Does the standalone come with compressor (sori for the noobie qn)

2) As my guest rm can be "opened up" to form part of the living area (when there are guests), high chance i will need to switch on the 2 living room units and guest room unit concurrently. can the system 3 handle it?

3) which brand(s) will cost ~ $2.6K?

i'm looking at a system 3 (inverter or non inverter) of the following configuration: 18000 btu (for living rm), 12000 btu (mbr), 9000 (guest rm). so far i was told that only inverter can meet my requirement - mitsubishi starmex to be exact, was quoted ard $3k for inverter by GC. but somehow i feel the salesperson showed more inclination towards mitsubishi for some reasons. just want to get more opinions from the forummers..

anyone has any suggestions on the aircon system configuration? brand recommendation? etc

:)

hey chrysalis,

we're using system 3 and system 1 for our 5-room. the system 3 is 9000 btu for each room. the system 1 which is for the living/dining room is 18000 btu. its 4 ticks....

we're using mitsubishi heavy industries..all inverter. bought it from GC. our system 3 is about 2.6k. we split into system 3 and system 1 becoz it wud mean there are 2 compressors, one for living/dining room and one for the 3 bedrooms. if the aircon is down for some reason in the bedrooms, we can sleep in the living room...hehehehe.....its a personal choice.

mitsubishi electric starmex is popular....coz more publicity. but a no. of forummers have also opted for mitsubishi heavy industries. so its a personal choice.

LV

hey chrysalis,

we're using system 3 and system 1 for our 5-room. the system 3 is 9000 btu for each room. the system 1 which is for the living/dining room is 18000 btu. its 4 ticks....

we're using mitsubishi heavy industries..all inverter. bought it from GC. our system 3 is about 2.6k. we split into system 3 and system 1 becoz it wud mean there are 2 compressors, one for living/dining room and one for the 3 bedrooms. if the aircon is down for some reason in the bedrooms, we can sleep in the living room...hehehehe.....its a personal choice.

mitsubishi electric starmex is popular....coz more publicity. but a no. of forummers have also opted for mitsubishi heavy industries. so its a personal choice.

LV

Hi LV for your reply. yea i am planning for 2 compressors for the same reason. also dun wan to slave drive the compressors unnecessarily. hope the non-inverter version will be cheaper.

Hi amrasenelya, yes i have hacked 2 rooms to become 1 larger mbr-cum-study. my living room is L-shaped and i intend to fix the aircon on the wall near the kitchen entrance. Coupled with a tower fan at the windows **** room area.. hope to cool down area faster.. not sure if it's possible :) last thing i want to do is to slave drive the compressor (which leads me to consider having a separate compressor just for the living & dining area)

if price of inverter and non-inverter is abt the same, i will go for inverter lo.. toshiba very ex le.. at least from what i was quoted at GC @ sengkang. Second to Carrier. Grrrrr... i will probably go to GC@amk and if i'm not wrong, GC is having an event at expo at end of the month..

Hi, welcome to punggol....looking at your pre-reno pics reminds me of my resale unit bought a year ago....layout about exactly the same... :D

by the way the previous owner of my unit installed two aircon units in the living room, one at the wall near to entrance to kitchen and the other at the wall near the window...i was told living room is too big an area for just one unit to work on...

my 16k and 9k unit with 1 compressor inverter from toshiba cost me 2.3k.. free 5 yrs warranty cus of the expo promo a few months back.. so u just add in the cost for one more big unit for the living room... anyway i'd advise u to also get ur quotes separately at the expo, cus some salesman will wanna chop u even $80 more they also happy... :)

anw, i got mine from a salesman Victor from GC marina sq branch.. surprisingly, dat branch gave me the lowest quote, even lower than GC amk... ;)