Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dmateo

Ikea Cabinet

Thinking about doing Reno on my kitchen (21 ft-er).

Has anybody used Ikea kitchen cabinet. Just went there today and seems to be quite good. I like the stainless trimming model on silver laminate panel.

Not sure about the pricing, but comes in with 25 year warranty.

Haven't come down to price bu tjust want to know if anyone has done this before as eveything is pre-manufactured so it's like jigsaw puzzle

THanks,

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Thinking about doing Reno on my kitchen (21 ft-er).

Has anybody used Ikea kitchen cabinet. Just went there today and seems to be quite good. I like the stainless trimming model on silver laminate panel.

Not sure about the pricing, but comes in with 25 year warranty.

Haven't come down to price bu tjust want to know if anyone has done this before as eveything is pre-manufactured so it's like jigsaw puzzle

THanks,

If you have a budget of between $4~6K, I say go for it.

Many of our local kitchen carpentry firms are using low quality plywood, fixtures and fittings. I spent nearly $9K on my solid-top kitchen with tempered glass backing but the quality, feel and worksmanship of the cabinets is worst than IKEA's $4K solid-top kitchen. Yes, they use acrylic for their solid-top but they also use BLUM hinges and fittings as compared to my unbranded soft-closing hinges which doesn't work properly. I truly regret using this contractor.

If I strike BIG SWEEP this week, I will tear down my entire kitchen and go to IKEA to get their system. At least there is a 25 years warranty as against my 2-year worksmanship guarantee !

If you have a budget of between $4~6K, I say go for it.

Many of our local kitchen carpentry firms are using low quality plywood, fixtures and fittings. I spent nearly $9K on my solid-top kitchen with tempered glass backing but the quality, feel and worksmanship of the cabinets is worst than IKEA's $4K solid-top kitchen. Yes, they use acrylic for their solid-top but they also use BLUM hinges and fittings as compared to my unbranded soft-closing hinges which doesn't work properly. I truly regret using this contractor.

If I strike BIG SWEEP this week, I will tear down my entire kitchen and go to IKEA to get their system. At least there is a 25 years warranty as against my 2-year worksmanship guarantee !

Thanks Asoon.

I think I will drop by Ikea and ask some more detail on the fine detail tuning. Just worried that if the wall and floor is not perfectly allign I will see ugly gaps here and there.

That's why I ask forumer to see if anyone has done it before and what are the pit falls that I need to watch for.

Something that came to mind immediately is how Ikea stuff all come in 10cm, and my kitchen is not exactly on the 10th.. some are like 166 cm etc. So might be an issue

Thanks Asoon.

I think I will drop by Ikea and ask some more detail on the fine detail tuning. Just worried that if the wall and floor is not perfectly allign I will see ugly gaps here and there.

That's why I ask forumer to see if anyone has done it before and what are the pit falls that I need to watch for.

Something that came to mind immediately is how Ikea stuff all come in 10cm, and my kitchen is not exactly on the 10th.. some are like 166 cm etc. So might be an issue

Hi, I'm also looking for IKEA cabinets. Will the compressed particleboard used in their cabinet system withstand the moisture/water at sink area? Anyone currently installed IKEA cabinets at home?

ikea stuff are modular, so cannot expect to fill up the kitchen space 100% unless u diy can amend the cabinets. But would it void the warranty? have to ask the staff...

as pointed out by forumers in their t-blogs, ikea's acrylic is more expensive than corian, which is tried and tested whereas ikea one not so many people use.

many hdb walls are not straight and not level, so using ikea would mean your cabinets have to slant accordingly, if not it would appear "slant"...

soft close for ikea not cheap also, if budget is a concern, can check out other brands. But as my carpenter say, no need to use blum 1, use no-brand ones will be good enough. 1 blum runner for drawer costs $60, no-brand ones costs half the price. I would take a gamble to use no-brand ones first, it may turn out to be a pleasant surprise you know...

afterall, blum have lifetime warranty. But cabinets would die in 10 years or so i think, so whats the point? Of course, if money is not the issue, then go ahead and BLUM! :)

for new flats, can try ikea if everything is level and straight. Mine is a 30year old resale, and walls, floor and cabinet base all slant like crazy. Plus turns out that contractor's price is cheaper than IKEA!

I agree, no point to spend so much for blum.

No-brand runner or soft-closing (actually the barnd is asia-excel) is good enough ...

ikea stuff are modular, so cannot expect to fill up the kitchen space 100% unless u diy can amend the cabinets. But would it void the warranty? have to ask the staff...

as pointed out by forumers in their t-blogs, ikea's acrylic is more expensive than corian, which is tried and tested whereas ikea one not so many people use.

many hdb walls are not straight and not level, so using ikea would mean your cabinets have to slant accordingly, if not it would appear "slant"...

soft close for ikea not cheap also, if budget is a concern, can check out other brands. But as my carpenter say, no need to use blum 1, use no-brand ones will be good enough. 1 blum runner for drawer costs $60, no-brand ones costs half the price. I would take a gamble to use no-brand ones first, it may turn out to be a pleasant surprise you know...

afterall, blum have lifetime warranty. But cabinets would die in 10 years or so i think, so whats the point? Of course, if money is not the issue, then go ahead and BLUM! :)

for new flats, can try ikea if everything is level and straight. Mine is a 30year old resale, and walls, floor and cabinet base all slant like crazy. Plus turns out that contractor's price is cheaper than IKEA!

i don realli like ikea stuff, they look fragile. i got my cabinet from ikea, kanna water only the laminate starts to pop up. sianz.. only thing good is cash n carry..haha