Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
petunialee

Built-in Oven Into Concrete&tile Countertop

I am asking my contractor to build a kitchen countertop and undercounter entirely of concrete and tiles (instead of wood).

1) Is it easy to install a built-in oven into a concrete and tile undercounter?

2) Will the heat from the built-in oven crack the concrete and tiles?

3) What shall I look out for when installing the oven into the concrete and tile undercounter?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I am asking my contractor to build a kitchen countertop and undercounter entirely of concrete and tiles (instead of wood).

1) Is it easy to install a built-in oven into a concrete and tile undercounter?

2) Will the heat from the built-in oven crack the concrete and tiles?

3) What shall I look out for when installing the oven into the concrete and tile undercounter?

Why look for trouble?

- Installation is easy, just "slot in" the oven into the cage. Power cable entry from behind.

- Problem is the heat generated ! The "six" sides of the oven are pretty hot.

- Tiles will crack after some hot/cool cycles, over the time.

Edited by bepgof

Thanks for your response! My architect said that high grade cement and heavy duty homogeneous tiles won't crack. What do you think?

"High grade" in cohesion (bonding force between 2 different material) force? - Epoxy glue so far is the best for bonding.

All homogenous tiles have been "heat treated". The tensile strength is pretty weak, layman called "fragile".

If u "must" put oven within the cemented cage, "season" the cage first by blowing air to "burn in" , making cement dry and some cracks (patch up the cracks) then apply tile externally and blow air to see if tiles still "stick" to cement or crack together with cement.

I lived in Kampong when I was young and the stove (burn by wood) made of cement and with ceramic tiles on walls. All tiles had fine cracks.

Edited by bepgof

"High grade" in cohesion (bonding force between 2 different material) force? - Epoxy glue so far is the best for bonding.

All homogenous tiles have been "heat treated". The tensile strength is pretty weak, layman called "fragile".

If u "must" put oven within the cemented cage, "season" the cage first by blowing air to "burn in" , making cement dry and some cracks (patch up the cracks) then apply tile externally and blow air to see if tiles still "stick" to cement or crack together with cement.

I lived in Kampong when I was young and the stove (burn by wood) made of cement and with ceramic tiles on walls. All tiles had fine cracks.

You mean like... heat stress it first?

You mean like... heat stress it first?

Yes, burn in the cage first. Or call "temperature-rise test".

The contraction & expansion forces are terriblly great, can bend metal.

Edited by bepgof