Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

B&W showroom @ TheExperts. Shop at Lavender St next to Imminient Plaza. Do tryout the B&W 600 series & if you have better budget,

try the 800 series.

Or alternatively, audition Monitor Audio & Tannoy speakers. Both at Adelphin though I cant remember which shop.

cheers

From looking at entry level config to upping my budget to morel, tink its really a big jump so i guess i will not/dun dare to increase my budget anymore.. haha.. so i will make sure not to test systems that are above my budget anymore.. really poisonous.. haha

Ya thanks for the advice! ;)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi All,

Sorry to budge into this thread, because my budget is only about 1.5k. I hope to get some frank & helpful opinions here before I take the plunge into buying.

Here's what I have demo so far.. the prices of all 3 (inclusive cables & installation) are pretty smiliar.

a. Onkyo 508 & Jamo 5.1 speakers (At HN)

b. Onkyo 508 & Boston Acoustics XS 5.1 (At KEC)

c. Onkyo 508 & Tannoy SFX 5.1 (At KEC)

My ears are not trained or very picky... but leaning slightly more towards the Tannoy speakers..

Questions that I have..

1. My TV panel resolution is 1920x1080p and supports only hdmi 1.3, so does it mean that Onkyo 508 is a better buy than Onkyo 608 in my situation? I am unlikely to buy another TV soon..

2. Will Tannoy be a better buy than Jamo & BA?

3. Are there other recommendations considering my budget of only 1.5k? (I would prefer a 3.1 system actually, because I do not foresee running cables across my living room in the near future... but the salesmen I've met did not introduce me to a 3.1 system even after I share with them my thoughts..)

Thanks for reading & your helpful sharing. =)

Hi All,

Sorry to budge into this thread, because my budget is only about 1.5k. I hope to get some frank & helpful opinions here before I take the plunge into buying.

Here's what I have demo so far.. the prices of all 3 (inclusive cables & installation) are pretty smiliar.

a. Onkyo 508 & Jamo 5.1 speakers (At HN)

b. Onkyo 508 & Boston Acoustics XS 5.1 (At KEC)

c. Onkyo 508 & Tannoy SFX 5.1 (At KEC)

My ears are not trained or very picky... but leaning slightly more towards the Tannoy speakers..

Questions that I have..

1. My TV panel resolution is 1920x1080p and supports only hdmi 1.3, so does it mean that Onkyo 508 is a better buy than Onkyo 608 in my situation? I am unlikely to buy another TV soon..

2. Will Tannoy be a better buy than Jamo & BA?

3. Are there other recommendations considering my budget of only 1.5k? (I would prefer a 3.1 system actually, because I do not foresee running cables across my living room in the near future... but the salesmen I've met did not introduce me to a 3.1 system even after I share with them my thoughts..)

Thanks for reading & your helpful sharing. =)

Hi

Congrats for taking the 1st step to set up a REAL HTS.

Tannoy = good & highly recommended. Since your TV only supports HDMI1.3 no point getting the Onkyo 508. Either the Yamaha 600 series or an Onlyo 507 will suffice. Dont consider jamo or Boston.

For your budget, audition the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema series. You may be surprised.

Cheers

Hi Vicenzo!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice! :D

I'll find some time to audition what you suggested. Update my decision after that.

Hi

Congrats for taking the 1st step to set up a REAL HTS.

Tannoy = good & highly recommended. Since your TV only supports HDMI1.3 no point getting the Onkyo 508. Either the Yamaha 600 series or an Onlyo 507 will suffice. Dont consider jamo or Boston.

For your budget, audition the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema series. You may be surprised.

Cheers

OPPO93 launch probably Dec 2010. Dont expect prices to be cheap. My best estimates around $900.

But its **** sleek.

cheers

Hi Vicenzo70,

thanks for your help in the other thread!

I'm wondering if I can without OPP blu-ray player and use my PS3 instead? What am I missing out from a dedicated Bluray player like OPP?

Thanks again!

Hi Vicenzo70,

thanks for your help in the other thread!

I'm wondering if I can without OPP blu-ray player and use my PS3 instead? What am I missing out from a dedicated Bluray player like OPP?

Thanks again!

PS3? Errr....No. Not a good choice. PS3 for gaming is good but not for movie watching.

Cheers

PS3? Errr....No. Not a good choice. PS3 for gaming is good but not for movie watching.

Cheers

hahah...ok...confirm my suspicion. Anyway planned to put amp + PS3 + xbox360 + starhub HD-dvr at the TV console already....adding OPP player now will be real crowded :P

Cheers

First do respect your knowledge but I can't resist but comment that your suggestions to the rest are EXTREMELY bias. A person's meat is some other poison. I have read through the entire 9 pages of thread and I found that you are "leading" them to buy the brands YOU prefer instead of their own preference. There are alot of other alternatives out there with better sound quality that suits their need.

Can you explain why PS3 is not for movie watching? PS3 is fully capable for serious home theater application doubling up for gaming. Oppo is a very capable Bluray player with some people using it as transport. High-end audio company are also OEM from them. But it does not mean everyone must be it. For a price tag is $999, it is not for everyone and there are definitely other alternatives. Of course, not the quality of Oppo but at least 60% of it at lesser price tag. PS3 is a perfect example

tintin:

Don't limit your choice to just Onkyo. I would suggest you look at speakers first. AVRs and source are technology driven. They get obsolete very very quick. Invest more in speakers then match them with a good amplification. Do consider the location of your set. It affects the type of speakers used and their amplifications

BlurRhino & Kumikotamago:

See below

truth8:

I hope I'm not too late to stop you from dumping Aud 50. It is a very capable speaker. It is definitely a better speaker than Def Tech. Aud 50 is replaced by Excite series. Move it to the rear for surround and get Excite series for left right center if you have the space and budget. Focus is the popular range.

For the rest don't limit yourself to Def Tech speaker, you can look at:

wharfedales http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/;

KEF http://www.kef.com/en;

Acoustic Energy http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/;

PSB http://www.psbspeakers.com/;

Focal http://www.focal-fr.com;

Paradigm http://www.paradigm.com;

Q Acoustic http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/;

Quad http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/;

etc...

For AVR

Denon,

Marantz,

Yamaha,

Parasound,

Rotel,

Pioneer,

etc...

PS:

I would like to quantify myself for not being a guru in this field. I'm no one special but someone who paid "$" to learn for each purchase and research.

Edited by omegared

First do respect your knowledge but I can't resist but comment that your suggestions to the rest are EXTREMELY bias. A person's meat is some other poison. I have read through the entire 9 pages of thread and I found that you are "leading" them to buy the brands YOU prefer instead of their own preference. There are alot of other alternatives out there with better sound quality that suits their need.

Can you explain why PS3 is not for movie watching? PS3 is fully capable for serious home theater application doubling up for gaming. Oppo is a very capable Bluray player with some people using it as transport. High-end audio company are also OEM from them. But it does not mean everyone must be it. For a price tag is $999, it is not for everyone and there are definitely other alternatives. Of course, not the quality of Oppo but at least 60% of it at lesser price tag. PS3 is a perfect example

tintin:

Don't limit your choice to just Onkyo. I would suggest you look at speakers first. AVRs and source are technology driven. They get obsolete very very quick. Invest more in speakers then match them with a good amplification. Do consider the location of your set. It affects the type of speakers used and their amplifications

BlurRhino & Kumikotamago:

See below

truth8:

I hope I'm not too late to stop you from dumping Aud 50. It is a very capable speaker. It is definitely a better speaker than Def Tech. Aud 50 is replaced by Excite series. Move it to the rear for surround and get Excite series for left right center if you have the space and budget. Focus is the popular range.

For the rest don't limit yourself to Def Tech speaker, you can look at:

wharfedales http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/;

KEF http://www.kef.com/en;

Acoustic Energy http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/;

PSB http://www.psbspeakers.com/;

Focal http://www.focal-fr.com;

Paradigm http://www.paradigm.com;

Q Acoustic http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/;

Quad http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/;

etc...

For AVR

Denon,

Marantz,

Yamaha,

Parasound,

Rotel,

Pioneer,

etc...

PS:

I would like to quantify myself for not being a guru in this field. I'm no one special but someone who paid "$" to learn for each purchase and research.

marantz do make extremely high end high fidelity components.... from their Japan-made Ken Ishiwata signature-series hifi to their flagship copper-chassis BD/DVD player which cost an arm/leg :unsure:

those crazy for designer hifi can also take a look at Bang & Olufsen for their stunning audio/video integration.... *droolz*

I have no idea how you arrive at this conclusion.

Before i make any recommendations I always ask the would-be HTS buyer for their BUDGET. And as to "leading" buyers to brands I prefer, that is your own opinion. Every HTS buyers are sophiscated & caveat emptor must be observed. And I always tell the buyers to decide with their ears, irrespect of my various recommendations, & stay within their budget.

Yes, I do admit i have owned Def Tech. I've also owned Tannoy revo, MA, to name a few before settling down to the superb B&W800 diamond. Now, if you can find anywhere in this forum that Ive "lead" any buyers to go for the 800 diamond, I'll wager some money with you.

PS3 performance is strictly my opinion. Its up to individual to decide for themselves. PS3 has issue playing certain movies thus I rendered it unsuitable as compared to a dedicated BR player. Not everyone can afford OPPO, that is a fact. Since one is into hi-fi, be ready to spend or else get those off the shelf cheaper BR player. Vid quality arent guaranteed though. OPPO has its limitation as well. Its not a good CD transport until it came out with a SE series. Im using a Cyrus CD 8 SE & do you see me pushing this brand to forummers here?

I recommend HTS set up based on forummers budgets. I dont manage their expectations. Its entirely their own.

Hope that settles whatever misconception you have of my own bias-ness. If you must, do help by recommending HTS set up to forummers here.

cheers

I have no idea how you arrive at this conclusion.

Before i make any recommendations I always ask the would-be HTS buyer for their BUDGET. And as to "leading" buyers to brands I prefer, that is your own opinion. Every HTS buyers are sophiscated & caveat emptor must be observed. And I always tell the buyers to decide with their ears, irrespect of my various recommendations, & stay within their budget.

Yes, I do admit i have owned Def Tech. I've also owned Tannoy revo, MA, to name a few before settling down to the superb B&W800 diamond. Now, if you can find anywhere in this forum that Ive "lead" any buyers to go for the 800 diamond, I'll wager some money with you.

PS3 performance is strictly my opinion. Its up to individual to decide for themselves. PS3 has issue playing certain movies thus I rendered it unsuitable as compared to a dedicated BR player. Not everyone can afford OPPO, that is a fact. Since one is into hi-fi, be ready to spend or else get those off the shelf cheaper BR player. Vid quality arent guaranteed though. OPPO has its limitation as well. Its not a good CD transport until it came out with a SE series. Im using a Cyrus CD 8 SE & do you see me pushing this brand to forummers here?

I recommend HTS set up based on forummers budgets. I dont manage their expectations. Its entirely their own.

Hope that settles whatever misconception you have of my own bias-ness. If you must, do help by recommending HTS set up to forummers here.

cheers

On another note, I have 2 subs now - Velodyne Minivee & the SVS PB12. Unless there's other subs which can outperform these 2 brands, kindly let us know. I may be BIAS as IMHO, these 2 brands are probably the best subs in the world currently within a manageable budget.

Omegared,

I would like to know what kind of set up you have?

Cheers

On another note, I have 2 subs now - Velodyne Minivee & the SVS PB12. Unless there's other subs which can outperform these 2 brands, kindly let us know. I may be BIAS as IMHO, these 2 brands are probably the best subs in the world currently within a manageable budget.

Omegared,

I would like to know what kind of set up you have?

Cheers

Well congrates for acquiring the B&W 800 Diamonds! Budget alone is insufficient info to recommend a sensible setup for someone "experienced" like you. Speaker setup locations and placement are as important as the equipments. For a 3k budget, 5.1 bookshelf speakers will be a better setup than the DT in a hall or 4 x 4 m room. Go re-read your 9 pages of suggestions. Read them with open-mind. I got 3 of my kakis to read them all share the same conclusion. I think you are too upset by my comments. I understood the feeling, it is hard to accept the truth for "experience" person. Waging money at me huh. What's next? Parang at downtown east? For sub, look at Hsu research, seaton, JL Audio and many more. Do your own research.

On behalf of the members here, I thanks you for your generous contribution and sharing. I just like to voice my views that you are being to bias toward those brands you owned/like. One person's meat is another's poison. DT may float your boat but KEF KHT3005SE or Focal Dome may suit others better.

Well congrates for acquiring the B&W 800 Diamonds! Budget alone is insufficient info to recommend a sensible setup for someone "experienced" like you. Speaker setup locations and placement are as important as the equipments. For a 3k budget, 5.1 bookshelf speakers will be a better setup than the DT in a hall or 4 x 4 m room. Go re-read your 9 pages of suggestions. Read them with open-mind. I got 3 of my kakis to read them all share the same conclusion. I think you are too upset by my comments. I understood the feeling, it is hard to accept the truth for "experience" person. Waging money at me huh. What's next? Parang at downtown east? For sub, look at Hsu research, seaton, JL Audio and many more. Do your own research.

On behalf of the members here, I thanks you for your generous contribution and sharing. I just like to voice my views that you are being to bias toward those brands you owned/like. One person's meat is another's poison. DT may float your boat but KEF KHT3005SE or Focal Dome may suit others better.

Like I said again, if you have something to contribute, do share amongst us here instead of nitpicking at my BIAS choices.

And as such, I dont shove it down their throats insisting they should get such & such brands. Im just sharing base on what Ive experienced. If youre inclined to spread the good word about KEF or Focal for that matter, do share more instead of just spouting brand names.

And do thank your 3 buddies for having the same conclusion. Im not upset nor do I need your validations. This forum is about sharing.

Btw, the wager is still on. Violence are best left to ah bengs. We're civilized people here.

cheers

Like I said again, if you have something to contribute, do share amongst us here instead of nitpicking at my BIAS choices.

And as such, I dont shove it down their throats insisting they should get such & such brands. Im just sharing base on what Ive experienced. If youre inclined to spread the good word about KEF or Focal for that matter, do share more instead of just spouting brand names.

And do thank your 3 buddies for having the same conclusion. Im not upset nor do I need your validations. This forum is about sharing.

Btw, the wager is still on. Violence are best left to ah bengs. We're civilized people here.

cheers

Well I did list a couples of popular brand names for consideration which you didnt right. I have also point out focal dome and kef kht3005se. Not familiar to you? I have also trying to stop truth8 from downgrading . What are you trying to prove waging money? Oh yah. Some ppl got 800 diamond. Overpriced in singapore fyi. There is another kind of gangster who don't use weapon. They use money :)

Cheers.

Well I did list a couples of popular brand names for consideration which you didnt right. I have also point out focal dome and kef kht3005se. Not familiar to you? I have also trying to stop truth8 from downgrading . What are you trying to prove waging money? Oh yah. Some ppl got 800 diamond. Overpriced in singapore fyi. There is another kind of gangster who don't use weapon. They use money :)

Cheers.

Geez. Youre getting a bit pensive & using the B&W 800 against me. Overpriced or not is really not your concern izzit? I can afford it & will this be your problem? For the goodsake of this forum, kindly no personal attacks please.

If you dont like my choices of recommendations, recommend something else. No need to get personal by saying Im BIAS towards certain brands. Did I slight you in any way?

The wager is about if u can find proof that I tried to shoved B&W800 down anyone throats. Dont understand what has parang or gangsterism has to do in this forum.

Cheers