Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

Need comment from all the bro and sis out there regarding the quotation given for my house renovation. When to homeway classic at joo chiat for quotation. Looking to renovate my kitchen and 2 toilets and other ad-hoc jobs for my house.

Saw a package for kitchen and 2 toilet renovation for 4-room flat for the cost of $14,800

This include:

• Hacking of toilet floor and wall tiles

• Hacking of kitchen floor and wall tiles

• Hacking of cabinet base / washing mc base / fridge base

• Laying of floor and wall tiles for two toilet

• Laying of floor and wall tiles for kitchen

• Dismantle kitchen cabinet / sink support

• Supply / install toilet bowl x 2

• Supply / install wash basin x 2

• Supply / install mirror (40x 50cm) x 2

• Supply / install 7 pcs bathroom set x 2

• Supply / install mini gun spray x 2

• Supply / install bi-fold door with acrylic panel x 2

• Supply / install hob/ slim hood / stainless steel kitchen sink / tap

• Change piping to stainless steel (kitchen and toilet only)

• Recasing of electric wires (kitchen and toilet only)

• Water proofing 2 toilet (say have 5 yes warranty)

• Construct 20ft cabinet (normal one, addtional have to top up)

• Construct cabinet / fridge / washing mc base

• Change stainless steel rubbish chute

• Acid cleaning (whole house floor given free)

• HDB permit

• Protective covering

• Supply / install basin tap and pop-up waste x 2

• Supply / install UK instant heater x 2

• Supply / install 2 way tap x 2

• Supply / install 1.2m stainless steel hose x 2

Additional job I wanted done are as follow :

• Granite counter top - additional $400

• Change whole house piping - need to pay for living room area

• Add addtional 4 feet of island for kitchen - $980 (incl granite counter top)

• Realocate the sink support - $1000 (if not wrong)

• Shower screen for MBR toilet - $400 (normal) glass have to pay more

• Changing of my room door - $800 (4 doors in total - classic door)

• Installing L-box - can't remember the price excluding the light (16 lights in total)

• Gate and door - $700

• Whole house grill

• Kitchen, MBR and 1 common room windows

In total the qoutation was $26,000 is it ok? Or too expensive? Really not sure 1st time doing renovation.u

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

It sounds reasonable to me.. but take note, this is just initial quote right? budget 10-20% more for stuff that might happen that you can't foresee yet.

I am going to to kitchen and two bathrooms and the average quote I got was 17k - 22k.

Hi,

Need comment from all the bro and sis out there regarding the quotation given for my house renovation. When to homeway classic at joo chiat for quotation. Looking to renovate my kitchen and 2 toilets and other ad-hoc jobs for my house.

Saw a package for kitchen and 2 toilet renovation for 4-room flat for the cost of $14,800

This include:

• HDB permit

• Protective covering

• Installing L-box - can't remember the price excluding the light (16 lights in total)

• Gate and door - $700

• Whole house grill

In total the qoutation was $26,000 is it ok? Or too expensive? Really not sure 1st time doing renovation.u

Agree, normal quotes for 2 toilets and 1 kichen normally from 16k upwards. Usually hover around 20k. Especially need to note how they charge the hacking and kitchen cabinets. If got concrete base for kitchen need extra, if want to do top and bottom for kitchen cabinets, might also require extra cost. But it all depends on how your id/contractor quotes for the relevant works. Need to confirm with them.

It sounds reasonable to me.. but take note, this is just initial quote right? budget 10-20% more for stuff that might happen that you can't foresee yet.

I am going to to kitchen and two bathrooms and the average quote I got was 17k - 22k.

your quotation looks more or less there but myself i went thru quite a number of quotes for my unit over at marine parade before deciding. so maybe if ya still have the time just go price hunting. and i also notice that some ids can also offer thoses kind of prices nowadays but providing concept design. Happy hunting!!

Hi,

This include:

• HDB permit

• Protective covering

• Gate and door - $700

• Whole house grill

Whether the quote is right or not depends on how detail you want to go into the each line item.

For instance the tiles, what is the price limit you can choose. With this limit, go to those tiles supplier and see whether you are able to choose the tiles based on the limit. Personally, I prefer to minimise the VOs now then half way into the project.

Becs VOs may burst your initial budget by high percentage if you did not think of these items in the first place.

Whether the quote is right or not depends on how detail you want to go into the each line item.

For instance the tiles, what is the price limit you can choose. With this limit, go to those tiles supplier and see whether you are able to choose the tiles based on the limit. Personally, I prefer to minimise the VOs now then half way into the project.

Becs VOs may burst your initial budget by high percentage if you did not think of these items in the first place.

what's "VO"??

so how will we know what the VOs are? will they state it in the quotation? or usually verbally?

The VO will come about once you depart from the base material/product that comes with the package. For example, if the package includes tiles within a certain price range ($2.00-$2.20) but your prefernce is a particulartype that costs $2.80 then that difference will go into the variation order. If you know exactly what kind of tiles you want you should clarify with your designer to make sure it falls within the range they are offering. The same thing will apply to the fittings that they provide eg sanitary ware etc. Best to ask him to list the price of the items he's supplying. eg toilet bowls, sinks, mixers etc. That way if you dont like what he has and would rather get your own, then make sure that he deducts the price of each of those items from the original quote. My guess is that the items such as heaters, mixers, sanitary ware will be pretty basic. You may want to tell him then to deduct the cost of all those items and get them yourself. At least that will give you the option of getting something that's of a better quality.

I think I will clarify that for me I try reduce the VOs as much as possible with the ID. I don't want to have a bad relations with them in the end.

How to reduce VOs?

Do homework!

Spend time to visit tiles suppliers, visit lightings shops, etc, talk to them. Then you will find what sort of work you required your renovator to carry out. For instance, you may require your renovator to provide installation services for your toilet. Ensure this is written in your SOW (scope of work). And trust me, there is many types of laminate, some more expensive. I personally think material research is necessary.

For me, I separate the electrical works, supply of light fittings, air con, hood and hob, taps, sinks, toilet, etc from the ID SOW. So the ID SOW is purely just to design and excute reno works with installation of toilets fittings like tap, sink, hood, hob, toilet, water heater, etc.

I took out those items that will certainly have variation during design phase. Those that can be fixed I will put it down on the ID SOW. This way I minmised my VOs with the ID.

After all this, I still have to budget a contingency sum for VOs. You cannot be 100% sure that there will be no VOs. A good contingency sum is about 5% of your total contract sum. No hard formula , just ensure you have at least 2k to play with VOs.

Oh I forget to share with potential home owner.

I have visited many ID. My personal opinon is that you can drop those that do not even give you 1 piece of 3d diagram before you confirm anything.

For me, I cannot visualise the design just based on one sentence on the SOW. I don't want to spend tens of thousand just to buy something with have just a descrption of words and no drawings.

Some companies are better, they are willing to provide more 3d drawings. They even proposed the colour scheme and theme for you. This way you can decide whether you like the designer's design.