Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
andeelym

Attaching Metal Structure On Window Ledge

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section to post but I am kinda lost on where to post for this question but here goes.

I am planning to attach a metal structure by means of bolting it down on the window ledge. Specifically, it is a pier for a telescope mount, so that I can attach a telescope, not to peek at my neighbours but to admire the moon, planets and stars.

My question is whether its legal, cos I'm not sure if window ledges are considered "my property". I know we cannot place flower pots and movable items but this pier is permanently bolted down on to the cement window ledge so its very very secure. If its not legal, should I write to HDB or my town council for such a request?

Look forward to replies. Thanks for reading.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section to post but I am kinda lost on where to post for this question but here goes.

I am planning to attach a metal structure by means of bolting it down on the window ledge. Specifically, it is a pier for a telescope mount, so that I can attach a telescope, not to peek at my neighbours but to admire the moon, planets and stars.

My question is whether its legal, cos I'm not sure if window ledges are considered "my property". I know we cannot place flower pots and movable items but this pier is permanently bolted down on to the cement window ledge so its very very secure. If its not legal, should I write to HDB or my town council for such a request?

Look forward to replies. Thanks for reading.

How many mm of yr telescope?, magnifying eyepiece X how many? I must admit that the setting up takes quite some time.

TC sure not approve any immovable mechnical mounting, no point writing to them. But the stand putting at window ledge is too obvious, sure got ppl see already thought you are peeping tom & make complain.

Not much thing to see at moon, all the rought surface, somemore got clouds passing by. Good to see far far objects during day time, difficult to manually adjust the angle. Shifting a bit only, object "disappears".

Edited by bepgof

How many mm of yr telescope?, magnifying eyepiece X how many? I must admit that the setting up takes quite some time.

TC sure not approve any immovable mechnical mounting, no point writing to them. But the stand putting at window ledge is too obvious, sure got ppl see already thought you are peeping tom & make complain.

Not much thing to see at moon, all the rought surface, somemore got clouds passing by. Good to see far far objects during day time, difficult to manually adjust the angle. Shifting a bit only, object "disappears".

I am using an 8" SCT, mostly doing prime if I am taking pictures of the moon or stars/nebulae. As for planetary obs/shots, I'll be using various eyepieces and barlows.

I know that there are some people already doing that on their balconies and ledges where its deep enuff to put potted plants and not fall over. If pple complain then so be it, wanna stomp me go ahead. The police can come and check to affirm that I am not taking them. I got more interesting thing to look at. Most of the time, it'll be the pier there, except on clear nights, then i'll mount all my barang barang and pple can see a rocket launcher mounted on window ledge. And if I wanna peek at them, I wouldnt make it so obvious as to put on the window ledge literally screaming at them that I am looking at them loh. If you get what I mean.

Not sure about you but I like to take pictures of the moon, and planets. Clouds, have to pick a clear night loh. Light clouds are fine. Daytime not interested cos nothing to see except if I wanna do solar obs during the morning. That is why I need a good solid pier, so I can mount a good tracking/GOTO mount and have my scope automatically track the objects.

So I can conclude that its a NO to window ledge mounting?

I am using an 8" SCT, mostly doing prime if I am taking pictures of the moon or stars/nebulae. As for planetary obs/shots, I'll be using various eyepieces and barlows.

I know that there are some people already doing that on their balconies and ledges where its deep enuff to put potted plants and not fall over. If pple complain then so be it, wanna stomp me go ahead. The police can come and check to affirm that I am not taking them. I got more interesting thing to look at. Most of the time, it'll be the pier there, except on clear nights, then i'll mount all my barang barang and pple can see a rocket launcher mounted on window ledge. And if I wanna peek at them, I wouldnt make it so obvious as to put on the window ledge literally screaming at them that I am looking at them loh. If you get what I mean.

Not sure about you but I like to take pictures of the moon, and planets. Clouds, have to pick a clear night loh. Light clouds are fine. Daytime not interested cos nothing to see except if I wanna do solar obs during the morning. That is why I need a good solid pier, so I can mount a good tracking/GOTO mount and have my scope automatically track the objects.

So I can conclude that its a NO to window ledge mounting?

Seem only you & me very "siao" abt to see far far objects, my one already "moulded", ever brought to seaside to see star, like a rocket launcher, many ppl looking like "siao". It was more than 10 years ago. I've vast hobbies, my wife always said I siao & waste money. Why keep so much money, right? Hope your hobby keep going. Good luck.

Edited by bepgof

Seem only you & me very "siao" abt to see far far objects, my one already "moulded", ever brought to seaside to see star, like a rocket launcher, many ppl looking like "siao". It was more than 10 years ago. I've vast hobbies, my wife always said I siao & waste money. Why keep so much money, right? Hope your hobby keep going. Good luck.

Haha, all I can say is that we look very far ahead and have our sights on stars!

I figured you own a refractor. And if you ever have the interest again, there is a very active local community on astronomy (singastro.org). Also, if you wanna let go of your old gears if its taking up your storeroom space, that forum also has a very active buy/sell section where we trade stuff.

Thanks for taking time to answer my queries. :)

Haha, all I can say is that we look very far ahead and have our sights on stars!

I figured you own a refractor. And if you ever have the interest again, there is a very active local community on astronomy (singastro.org). Also, if you wanna let go of your old gears if its taking up your storeroom space, that forum also has a very active buy/sell section where we trade stuff.

Thanks for taking time to answer my queries. :)

Thank for the link. May I know where you get yours? I very "siao" able star constellation, both oriental & western. You can see some of my posts in the geomancy thread, sun/earth/moon movement and calendar.....

Edited by bepgof

Thank for the link. May I know where you get yours? I very "siao" able star constellation, both oriental & western. You can see some of my posts in the geomancy thread, sun/earth/moon movement and calendar.....

I bought my astronomy stuff from that very same forum. For other things, I usually buy online and have them shipped to Singapore, either direct or thru vpost, comgateway etc...

I like star constellations, but more specifically, the nebulas, star clusters and such. Frankly, I prefer the moon and planets rather than stars. My focus is to capture them down using camera and not just for visual. And I'm not using them for astrology/geomancy purpose. Purely for astronomy and admiring celestial things that God create for us to see.