Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Ecowood

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for suppliers to supply/install outdoor wood decking (preferably chengal) for my hdb open air balcony (5m x 1.7m), which is ard 96 sqft (inclusive of wastage).

I stumped upon this person from EcoWood, who quoted me $1.5K (inclusive of 1-yr warranty and installation fees). From their website (http://www.ecowood.com.sg), which looks a little dubious, it seems like they are using reclaimed chengal wood (which they said it's supposedly better and longer lasting as it's seasoned).

So far, the other quotes i've gotten from Liang Hoe Huat, Wood&Wood, Goodhill all range from $2K to $2.5K.

It seems too gd a deal (sgd$15 per sqft for outdoor chengal wood decking). I was updated that for freshly-cut chengal wood, it's $2K for my area.

Anyone heard of them or used their products before?

Pls advise.

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi csingeu,

would be fairer if you compare the specs between the companies.

1. the min length of the timber strip provided. for decks the longer the strips the better your deck will look. if you dont mind left over short strips from other projects you can get chengai decks for as low as $12psf.

2. the size and type of timber used to make the underlaying frame for your deck. there are many wood species being used to make sub-frames. some more sturdy than the others. needless to say the more sturdy ones cost more. whats the point if your sub-structure goes first before your surface rots?

3. width of the timber strip provided. the broader the more expensive.

4. gap between each individual timber strips on the surface. the wider the gap, the cheaper your quote, because they can use less timber. 2 to 3mm is kinda considered the best looking in SG. other countries spec 5mm. but generally the smaller the gap the better your deck look.

5. method used to construct sub-frame. countless methods. you need some knowledge to be able to tell for yourself. just wanna say, you cant judge a deck by its surface.

6. coating used to protect your deck. using a wrong coating would make your deck look horrible, over time.

Edited by morganwu

Very common they don't tell you what they will use for the joist or supporting runner for the deck. So you may end having a good surface but poor quality supporting structure.

Look into this.

Old or new Chengal needs regular vanishing.

For old Chengal timber, get a sample and make sure there are no unwanted marking.

They are usually resurfaced which makes them slightly thinner than standard.

Chengal wood are naturally with tiny holes.

For similar price, you may want to look at other composite wood alternative in the market.

Good luck!