Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
endlssorrow

Bathtub

Can i ask those who installed bathTub in their masterRoom:

1) is it better to buy just the bathTub & put inside the toilet

or

2) supply labour and built bathtube with hollblock & tiles inside toilet..

I know if i take op(1), anytime if i do not want the bathTub, i can remove & throw away. Beside this advantage, what else should I look for?

Many Thanks :paint:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Can i ask those who installed bathTub in their masterRoom:

1) is it better to buy just the bathTub & put inside the toilet

or

2) supply labour and built bathtube with hollblock & tiles inside toilet..

I know if i take op(1), anytime if i do not want the bathTub, i can remove & throw away. Beside this advantage, what else should I look for?

Many Thanks :paint:

In my opinion, bathtubs with hollow blocks and tiles are easier to maintain and clean, and also saves space. My parents have a sitting bath which they have used for 10 over years and hasn't gieven any problems. The size of the sitting bath is about 1200mm (L) x 760mm (B) x 370mm (H) and fits nicely in the corner of a HDB toilet. I have not used a portable tub (option 1) before, but I can imagine these are some issues that might arise with a portable tub:

- Height would probably be higher than a built-in bathtub, so getting in and out might be more tricky

- Most portable tubs are full length tubs (about 1500mm in length) and you might have some difficulty squeezing it into a HDB toilet

- When you bathe in a tub, some water will spill over the sides etc, if you are using a portable tub, you got to clean the sides and underside of the bathtub too. For a built in tub, cleaning is easier since there is no underside, and the sides will be tiled and flat surface.

- Not too sure how stable a portable tub is also. A built in tub is supported below by hollow blocks so it is really stable.

I'm currently installing a sitting bathtub in my HDB toilet, PM me if you'd like more info :)

co i see my friend house, the portable size is not that big. I think there is types of size for customer to choose also.

Maybe another problem is when cleaning the toilet, there may be some hinder gap of here & there make it harder to wash. But if build-in bathTub got any problems, need to fork some money to solve it right?

co i see my friend house, the portable size is not that big. I think there is types of size for customer to choose also.

Maybe another problem is when cleaning the toilet, there may be some hinder gap of here & there make it harder to wash. But if build-in bathTub got any problems, need to fork some money to solve it right?

Hmm, my parents place has two built-in bathtubs used for 10 over yrs already. My current place also have two built-in baths, used for 2.5 yrs, no problems. So I'm going to also install built-in baths in my new home.

You won't get problems if you get it set by a proper plumber. Setting a bathtub is a skill coz they need to set it with the hollow blocks first and ensure the tiled sides slope inwards so that when you shower, the water flows into the bath. Plus they also need to do the plumbing of the pipes & drainage properly coz everything is running below the bathtub. It will look very neat coz you don't see pipes all over the place.

What possible problems do you see with a built-in bath?

Piping problems will also occur with a portable tub if the plumber doesn't do a good job... Leakage of tub - this can happen with both portable or built in tub if it is damaged / cracked. The built-in tubs I've used are made of a plastic / acrylic type of material and I've washed everything in there, from children bicycles to prams / strollers and no cracks lah.... The bathtub has served like a multi-purpose wash area for us because it's really easy to clean - you only need a sponge and some Cif, and you can clean it in less than 5 mins ;)

Hmm, my parents place has two built-in bathtubs used for 10 over yrs already. My current place also have two built-in baths, used for 2.5 yrs, no problems. So I'm going to also install built-in baths in my new home.

You won't get problems if you get it set by a proper plumber. Setting a bathtub is a skill coz they need to set it with the hollow blocks first and ensure the tiled sides slope inwards so that when you shower, the water flows into the bath. Plus they also need to do the plumbing of the pipes & drainage properly coz everything is running below the bathtub. It will look very neat coz you don't see pipes all over the place.

What possible problems do you see with a built-in bath?

Piping problems will also occur with a portable tub if the plumber doesn't do a good job... Leakage of tub - this can happen with both portable or built in tub if it is damaged / cracked. The built-in tubs I've used are made of a plastic / acrylic type of material and I've washed everything in there, from children bicycles to prams / strollers and no cracks lah.... The bathtub has served like a multi-purpose wash area for us because it's really easy to clean - you only need a sponge and some Cif, and you can clean it in less than 5 mins ;)

i see.. so i have to buy that bathTub first & let them build the hollow thing right?

i see.. so i have to buy that bathTub first & let them build the hollow thing right?

Yup but first of all, you need to take some measurements of the space in your toilet where you intend to put the bathtub, and see whether or not the tubtub can fit in there. This bathtub that I mentioned (1220mm x 760mm x 370mm) is the smallest sitting bath I have found available so far, and is from Nan Wah. The brand is Wilton (Carina).

After you buy the bathtub, you need to inform the plumber (before they start doing anything) that you are planning to have a bathtub. You should also inform your contractor before they do any re-laying / overlay of toilet flooring as they will run your outlet drainage accordingly to where your bathtub will be placed. If you are installing your bathtub over existing toilet flooring then you'll probably build a kerb along the bottom edge of the toilet walls to hide the drainage pipes.