Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
SmileyMiffy

Checking Carpentry Work

I will soon be starting reno on my new flat. I was just wondering, how do home owners know if the carpentry work done by their ID actually has good workmanship? Are there any ways u can check or spot flaws?

Btw my shortlisted ID is from Space Define(a subsidiary of R&R). If anyone has used a designer from that company, please let me know your opinion of that company/designer.

Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

A few things to look out for

1. Check the edges and joints are smooth

2. Check that cabinet doors are level (not one higher than the other)

3. Check the insides of doors (near the hinges) to make sure that there are no extra drilling holes, cuz that means that the carpenter has made a mistake in drilling.

4. Look out for "wavy" laminate finishing. This is very obvious if you choose high gloss laminates.

That's about all I can think of right now. Hope it helps.

During renovation, spend sometime to do your own inspection, just to ensure they are using the right material e.g. solid plywood with correct thickness, laminate with correct thickness, hinges, wall hung cabinet fixed with sufficient bolts and so on.

After completion of work, you may also check hinge (easy to open and close without extra effort), brand of hinges if you have paid for better one like 'Blum' system, rust stain on hinge, gap between cabinet & cement base/wall fully sealed by using sealant/sillicone, installation of cooker hob not too near to the wall, no scratch on your kitchen work top. Check finishing inside the cabinet/wardrobe e.g. no delamination of board & laminate ....

I will soon be starting reno on my new flat. I was just wondering, how do home owners know if the carpentry work done by their ID actually has good workmanship? Are there any ways u can check or spot flaws?

Btw my shortlisted ID is from Space Define(a subsidiary of R&R). If anyone has used a designer from that company, please let me know your opinion of that company/designer.

Thanks!

Check for extra holes, rusted hinges, different wood texture or thickness = because a lot of contractor use back what they dismantle from other projects, mix n match the wood( just relaminate).

This is a common practice with contractors to boost their profit margin.