Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sujuan

Sound Proofing Room

Hello,

I'd appreciate if anyone can help in this.

We live in a EM flat and use the room downstairs for music practice. The room has laminate flooring and carpentry windows and sliding doors. We find the sound from the instruments that my daughter plays vey loud. Her teacher says the room is echoey.

The piano guy said it's not the piano problem but the acoustic of the house. He said people who live in EM often has this echo problem with piano. Anyone have same experience, please share.

I'm thinking of doing some DIY to sound proof the room a bit to cut down the problem. Anyone know the cheapest way to go about this.

Thanks!

Edited by sujuan

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hello,

I'd appreciate if anyone can help in this.

We live in a EM flat and use the room downstairs for music practice. The room has laminate flooring and carpentry windows and sliding doors. We find the sound from the instruments that my daughter plays vey loud. Her teacher says the room is echoey.

The piano guy said it's not the piano problem but the acoustic of the house. He said people who live in EM often has this echo problem with piano. Anyone have same experience, please share.

I'm thinking of doing some DIY to sound proof the room a bit to cut down the problem. Anyone know the cheapest way to go about this.

Thanks!

Hi Sujuan,

Accordingly, there are two issues at hand. First, you find the sound too loud, and next is the echo.

Let's tackle the echo first. I am imagining that the room is pretty empty except for the piano. Hard walls repels sound, particularly in a small rood (EM room on lower level is smaller). Furnishing deflects and/or absorbs sound, and if it's an empty room, a DIY solution is to curtain up the walls with thick materials. Others include sponge wall, carpet wall and the list can go on.

You did not wuite elaborate the loudness issue, as to from where or which part of the house that you find the sound of the piano room loud? If it is from the upper room where it could possibly be your MBR, then it is a structural sound transmission problem. What you can also do to eliminate structural sound transmission is to isolate the sound source from the building structure, that is perhaps have a floating floor, supended with joist, or at least a suspended platform for the piano so that the vibration from the piano will be absorbed by the suspended platform.

I hope it helps you.

http://70wood.blogspot.com

deck2.jpg

Edited by 70wood