Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
legiz

Can Overlay Of Tiles Work For Kitchen Wall ?

can anyone answer my enquiry ?

I am thinkin of saving a bomb if I need to hack the kitchen 4 walls , that will definitely cost alot.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I am thinkin of saving a bomb if I need to hack the kitchen 4 walls , that will definitely cost alot.

Can anyone give some advice ? thanks alot.

Overlay can be done onto existing tiles, provided the existing ones are firm. Check the existing tiles for 'hollowness', and if there are, hack off the affected portion, cement up to the same level as the existing ones & you can start doing overlaying of tiles.

Use of Adhesive is needed, normally they use W-1 Solution onto existing wall, creating a sticky surface. This will help to hold the Chemical Cement, which is use on the new tiles. Had seen a few, so far no problem. First one done in 2003, owner sold flat in 2010, at that time, tiles still in tact.

However, it is advised not to have hard knockings on the tiles, especially with children riding their bikes or larger toy cars, banging into them. Proper drilling of holes are ok.

Overlay can be done onto existing tiles, provided the existing ones are firm. Check the existing tiles for 'hollowness', and if there are, hack off the affected portion, cement up to the same level as the existing ones & you can start doing overlaying of tiles.

Use of Adhesive is needed, normally they use W-1 Solution onto existing wall, creating a sticky surface. This will help to hold the Chemical Cement, which is use on the new tiles. Had seen a few, so far no problem. First one done in 2003, owner sold flat in 2010, at that time, tiles still in tact.

However, it is advised not to have hard knockings on the tiles, especially with children riding their bikes or larger toy cars, banging into them. Proper drilling of holes are ok.

Hi PapaYeo ,

Thanks you very much for the info you have provided to me . before you explain to me , I am even

worried if I drill on the overlay walls will the tiles fall off..

In additional do you have any idea how much it normally will cost for hacking the wall n flooring tiles for the

kitchen and 2 toilets ? hacking and layin tiles which one is more costly ?

If overlay can save me 2-3 times money I don't mind doing that even if the rooms will

end up looking smaller , which method will you prefer ?

Cheers and have a nice day.

Hi PapaYeo ,

Thanks you very much for the info you have provided to me . before you explain to me , I am even

worried if I drill on the overlay walls will the tiles fall off..

In additional do you have any idea how much it normally will cost for hacking the wall n flooring tiles for the

kitchen and 2 toilets ? hacking and layin tiles which one is more costly ?

If overlay can save me 2-3 times money I don't mind doing that even if the rooms will

end up looking smaller , which method will you prefer ?

Cheers and have a nice day.

1. Hacking of Wall & Floor tiles in Kitchen & 2-Toilets - $1650

2. After hacking of Floor tiles, you need Waterproofing. Kitchen & 2-Toilets - $350

3. And hacking of Wall tiles you need to redo Water Piping - Hot + Cold - $680 ( doesnt mean if you do Overlay, you don t need to change, must see at site ).

4. Laying or Overlaying of Wall & Floor tiles in Kitchen & 2-Toilets - around $6500

5. Supply of Cement & Sand with Clearance - $580

Overlaying will save between $2000 to $2680 and can start work immediately. Hacking of work need to apply with HDB and

contractors can only start work, 4 working days later. Its a ruling by HDB, this 4 working days is for your contractor to inform your neighbours, officially.

Overlaying of tiles only add on a maxinium of 1-inch on each side. Normally not noticeable.

Personnally preferred Overlaying. My 4-room flat at BB did so, last year. Not messy and much faster.

Another thing, before you commit to Overlaying, have your contractor/ID to check the condition of the Kitchen & 2-Toilets' ceiling of the immediate unit below yours.

Check for sign of leakage. If there are leakage, sorry, you cant overlay. You need to hack & do new waterproofing onto floor.

Whether leakage or not, its better if you can take pictures of them, if allowed, the whole unit's ceiling.

All the best.