Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sgdstuff

Need Clarification Help - Myth Or Fact On Storage Heaters

Hi All,

I'm going to embark on a reno process for my home soon and am wanting to install Storage Heater.

Recall someone telling me that I need to be cautious if I used a Storage Heater because if one forgot to switch off the heater after usage, it will continue to boil and the heating elements will get over heated and burnt..... Is this a Myth or Fact?

Greatly appreciate if users of Storage Heaters could provide me with some clarifications.

Thank you in advance.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi All,

I'm going to embark on a reno process for my home soon and am wanting to install Storage Heater.

Recall someone telling me that I need to be cautious if I used a Storage Heater because if one forgot to switch off the heater after usage, it will continue to boil and the heating elements will get over heated and burnt..... Is this a Myth or Fact?

Greatly appreciate if users of Storage Heaters could provide me with some clarifications.

Thank you in advance.

One question for you.....

Does your drinking water boiler for tea or coffee overheat and burn out ?

For any reasonable storage water heater, it will head to a pre-set temperature and then turn the element off. Once the temperature drops below a set point the element will turn on again.

Leaving the heater on all day is quite expensive and we saw a fair drop on our bill when we turned it off and only turned it on again just before (10-15 minutes) taking a shower.

I have used Ariston and now am using Jovan. I would buy either again.

RB

One question for you.....

Does your drinking water boiler for tea or coffee overheat and burn out ?

For any reasonable storage water heater, it will head to a pre-set temperature and then turn the element off. Once the temperature drops below a set point the element will turn on again.

Leaving the heater on all day is quite expensive and we saw a fair drop on our bill when we turned it off and only turned it on again just before (10-15 minutes) taking a shower.

I have used Ariston and now am using Jovan. I would buy either again.

RB

Thanks RB for the reply, completely understood how it works now....... My household is quite tradtional in a way as we boil our drinking water using kettles over gas hence have no experience on water boiler :)

Edited by sgdstuff

Thanks RB for the reply, completely understood how it works now....... My household is quite tradtional in a way as we boil our drinking water using kettles over gas hence have no experience on water boiler :)

Np, to be honest, we use gas water heaters for the most part in the UK which are on demand but have an insulated tank holding hot/warm water. Storage heaters were generally phased out or only used as the cheapest option as it was a pain waiting for the water to heat. Note though that the UK was generally much colder so the water in the heater became much colder much faster.

The always on water heater for drinking water was a surprise to my when I came here 4 years ago but was what my wifes family always used. To be honest, I still think a kettle on the gas or even an electric kettle is much more efficient and uses less power but my wife likes the easy of always available hot water and as she is now in around her 30th week of pregnancy, she wins ;).

RB

Hi All,

Thank you in advance.

That someone is deeply misconstrued with facts. Rimblock has given a very clear explanation so I shan't elaborate. The only truth in that statement is that the heater will continue to maintain the temperaure if you leave it on. This will result in higher electrical bills. Heating elements will continue to heat if thermostats are not working. I am installing individual units of Joven heaters in my bathrooms. Apparently in this forum, Joven is well recommended. Hope this helps.