Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sgdstuff

Chronicles Of My Revamp Journey - Hougang 4a

Hi Everyone,

Have been hanging around with envy :dribble: in this forum for the last 2 years, finally; it's going to be my turn soon to transform my home.

Some background details :

The thought of revamping my home came about slightly more than 2 years ago and it was always the thought of between selling my existing place for a new one or to revamp my existing and all these while, these 2 thoughts have been battling with one another deep in my mind (just like the devil & angel :) ) and just about 2 years ago, i made up my mind to set on revamping and then came the good news that my wife's preggie with my princess hence everything came to a abrupt stop.

During my wife's 10 mths pregancy, these 2 thoughts start battling one another again and at the begining, the thought of getting a new place won and I stopped all my preparation e.g. research in renovation ideas etc etc and began concentrating on looking out for a new place.

As time goes by, I soon realised that with the ridiculous property market, I will never be able to get an unit of the same size and location as convenient as current without folking out large amount of COV as well as high valuation price. Although the valuation of our existing had risen handsomely when compared to the price we paid for,the fact of the condition of our place (little reno and lot's of wear and tear), we reckon we will never be able to command a decent COV hence that would meant we would need to come out with hard cash for paying the COV of the other property and that's not to meantioned any additional cash for the reno of the new place.

After some serious discussion between me and my wife after the birth of our princess, we decided to stay put and decision set of revamp and once again, I began my "research" about 6 months ago and set the target to start the revamping process some time after my princess turn 1 year old and as she had just turn 1 year old couple of weeks ago, here I am, actively looking for a short term rental as well as starting to get Contractors & IDs to provide us with quotations.

To start of with, I had engaged a FSM to audit the place as I would like to ensure I'm doing the correct stuff. The FSM audit report is not out yet but due to time constraint, I had invited 5 IDs/Contractors to view my place and provide me with quotes and once the FSM report is out, I will then update them of the changes. 3 of them had came yesterday and this morning and I have another 2 who's coming this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon. I will reveal their company names once I have received their quotes next week.

Below would be my ideal reno schedule :

3rd week of March : Confirmed a short term rental place

4th week of March : Quotes from ID/Contractors received

1st week of April : Audit report from FSM received and notify all ID/Contractors on changes

2nd week of April : Revised quote from ID/Contractors and I start to decide on what can be obtain from "ready-made" furniture stores instead in order to cut reno cost.

3rd week of April : To shortlist and confirm ID/Contractor

4th week of April : Move to short term rental place

1st week of May : Reno Starts!

May & June : Shopping spree on Furniture, Lightings, Home Appliances stuff etc

End June - Begining July : Major reno works completed

1st & 2nd week of July : Inspection & Touch-ups of reno works and arrival of new furniture, home appliances etc

3rd week of July : Mission accomplished and move back to Home Sweet Home.

Note : Would be most grateful for fellow brothers & sisters to comment if my "ideal" schedule is acheveable. :help:

I have yet to take any photos of my place..... 1 reason is because it's too messy to show to general public audience :P

Will upload my floorplan later, just could not figure out how to at this moment. :P

I shall stop here for today and will update again after I received the quotes :)

Edited by sgdstuff

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Everyone,

Have been hanging around with envy :dribble: in this forum for the last 2 years, finally; it's going to be my turn soon to transform my home.

The thought of revamping my home came about slightly more than 2 years ago and it was always the thought of between selling my existing place for a new one or to revamp my existing and all these while, these 2 thoughts have been battling with one another deep in my mind (just like the devil & angel :) ) and just about 2 years ago, i made up my mind to set on revamping and then came the good news that my wife's preggie with my princess hence everything came to a abrupt stop.

During my wife's 10 mths pregancy, these 2 thoughts start battling one another again and at the begining, the thought of getting a new place won and I stopped all my preparation e.g. research in renovation ideas etc etc and began concentrating on looking out for a new place.

As time goes by, I soon realised that with the ridiculous property market, I will never be able to get an unit of the same size and location as convenient as current without folking out large amount of COV as well as high valuation price. Although the valuation of our existing had risen handsomely when compared to the price we paid for,the fact of the condition of our place (little reno and lot's of wear and tear), we reckon we will never be able to command a decent COV hence that would meant we would need to come out with hard cash for paying the COV of the other property and that's not to meantioned any additional cash for the reno of the new place.

After some serious discussion between me and my wife after the birth of our princess, we decided to stay put and decision set of revamp and once again, I began my "research" about 6 months ago and set the target to start the revamping process some time after my princess turn 1 year old and as she had just turn 1 year old couple of weeks ago, here I am, actively looking for a short term rental as well as starting to get Contractors & IDs to provide us with quotations.

To start of with, I had engaged a FSM to audit the place as I would like to ensure I'm doing the correct stuff. The FSM audit report is not out yet but due to time constraint, I had invited 5 IDs/Contractors to view my place and provide me with quotes and once the FSM report is out, I will then update them of the changes. 3 of them had came yesterday and this morning and I have another 2 who's coming this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon. I will reveal their company names once I have received their quotes next week.

1st week of April : Audit report from FSM received and notify all ID/Contractors on changes

2nd week of April : Revised quote from ID/Contractors and I start to decide on what can be obtain from "ready-made" furniture stores instead in order to cut reno cost.

1st & 2nd week of July : Inspection & Touch-ups of reno works and arrival of new furniture, home appliances etc

Note : Would be most grateful for fellow brothers & sisters to comment if my "ideal" schedule is acheveable. :help:

I have yet to take any photos of my place..... 1 reason is because it's too messy to show to general public audience :P

Will upload my floorplan later, just could not figure out how to at this moment. :P

I shall stop here for today and will update again after I received the quotes :)

firstly, my congrats on your bundle of joy!

a plan indeed! and is crucial that the critical milestones are jotted down.

welcome to RT and i promise you that it is gonna be a very exciting time.

hordes of information. so just shoot if in doubt!

you may refer pinned topics on the important topics section on how to upload pics ya

Hi Everyone,

Hi sgdstuff,

Nice to see your reno T-Blog here. Was waiting for your FSM audit report. Remember that you wanna update me...LOL...

Anyway, I think I can only start my reno by end of May or early of June. Next week is my first appointment. I am still looking around for suitable ID or contractor to do my place.

I will start my blog after I confirm the selected "one" to do my place. Have a smooth reno journey!!!

Emobebe

Hi sgdstuff,

Nice to see your reno T-Blog here. Was waiting for your FSM audit report. Remember that you wanna update me...LOL...

Anyway, I think I can only start my reno by end of May or early of June. Next week is my first appointment. I am still looking around for suitable ID or contractor to do my place.

I will start my blog after I confirm the selected "one" to do my place. Have a smooth reno journey!!!

Emobebe

Hi Emobebe,

Yup. I still rememeber that. Will share with you the details when i get it from my FSM in 1+ weeks time. :)

Finally, figure out how to "insert" pics.

Below would be my floor plan.

MyFloorPlan.jpg

Same floor plan as mine except opposite direction. Your main door facing NE...(I just guess only).

Emobebe :)

Some further Updates.......

Quotes from ID/Contractors

Out of the 5 IDs/Contractors I had invited, 4 had sent in their quotes. Below would be the 4 who had submitted their quotes + some comments :

1. Max Engineering & Contracts - Kenny

An associate of my brother-in-law, looks like an OMO setup to me. Quite professional in a way but quote presented is the highest out of the 4. Quite a surprise to me when his overhead is supposely to be one of the lowest.......

2. Ideal House - Kevin

Out of the 5 IDs/Contractors I had invited, think he's the youngest and appears to be one of the most "ready to help" type. Quote rank 2nd highest out of the 4 received due to the fact that his company's quotes carries a 7% GST.

So far, he's one of the IDs/Contractors whom I would like to work with due to good attitude (hope it does not change if I really engaged him) but the look of that 7% GST turns me off big time.

3. ID Note - Henry

Out of the 5 of them, Henry appears to be the most experienced and confident based on the short 45 mins encounter with him. Quote is rank 3rd highest. He will be one of them whom I will approach again for a re-quote next week after FSM report is out.

4. Alan Furniture & Renovation Contractor - Alan

An OMO setup, got the contact thru one of the neighbourhood aunties. Cheapest quote out of the 4 received but am quite skeptical due to the way he presents his quote. Quote seems to be quite brief and everything carrys the clause "Price subject to changes on actual measurement".

Was quite curious & surprise on this clause because he actually came to my house & done the measurement hence not sure how he derives his quotes.... Best part, items which I had asked him to quote, gone missing.... items which I had never asked and had told him I don't need it, appears...... 8| but after getting him to add in the missing items, quotes still the cheapest of all just that I'm not sure if the price is going to change dramatically if I ever confirm him hence even though his quotes is the cheapest, I might just drop him due to uncertainty in prices.

FSM Report

Suppose to get the report end this week but FSM told me the report won't be ready till next Wednesday so LL have to wait. :(

Short Term Rental Unit Hunt

This has been the most tedious exercise. Have been trying to hunt for 1 high and low for the last 1 month and till now, I have yet to be able to find one. :bangwall: Had shortlisted some units and hopefully able to arrange the viewing this weekend. Wanting to confirm an unit by end this week and off-load this nerve-racking process.

My target would be to confirm the short term rental unit by this weekend and next weekend, my target is to confirm the ID/Contractor. Based on my timing calculations, next weekend would be the lastest timing to confirm the Id/Contractor if I want to start the renovation by begining May.

Will provide updates again sometime next week.

Same floor plan as mine except opposite direction. Your main door facing NE...(I just guess only).

Emobebe :)

Think you are right on the assumption of my door facing....

Hi, are you sure Henry from IDnote can take up your job ?? You better check and double check with him..

Please read up his thread in the main forum before you go start rental of place.. haha.. =)

Some further Updates.......

Quotes from ID/Contractors

Out of the 5 IDs/Contractors I had invited, 4 had sent in their quotes. Below would be the 4 who had submitted their quotes + some comments :

1. Max Engineering & Contracts - Kenny

An associate of my brother-in-law, looks like an OMO setup to me. Quite professional in a way but quote presented is the highest out of the 4. Quite a surprise to me when his overhead is supposely to be one of the lowest.......

2. Ideal House - Kevin

Out of the 5 IDs/Contractors I had invited, think he's the youngest and appears to be one of the most "ready to help" type. Quote rank 2nd highest out of the 4 received due to the fact that his company's quotes carries a 7% GST.

So far, he's one of the IDs/Contractors whom I would like to work with due to good attitude (hope it does not change if I really engaged him) but the look of that 7% GST turns me off big time.

3. ID Note - Henry

Out of the 5 of them, Henry appears to be the most experienced and confident based on the short 45 mins encounter with him. Quote is rank 3rd highest. He will be one of them whom I will approach again for a re-quote next week after FSM report is out.

4. Alan Furniture & Renovation Contractor - Alan

An OMO setup, got the contact thru one of the neighbourhood aunties. Cheapest quote out of the 4 received but am quite skeptical due to the way he presents his quote. Quote seems to be quite brief and everything carrys the clause "Price subject to changes on actual measurement".

Was quite curious & surprise on this clause because he actually came to my house & done the measurement hence not sure how he derives his quotes.... Best part, items which I had asked him to quote, gone missing.... items which I had never asked and had told him I don't need it, appears...... 8| but after getting him to add in the missing items, quotes still the cheapest of all just that I'm not sure if the price is going to change dramatically if I ever confirm him hence even though his quotes is the cheapest, I might just drop him due to uncertainty in prices.

FSM Report

Suppose to get the report end this week but FSM told me the report won't be ready till next Wednesday so LL have to wait. :(

Short Term Rental Unit Hunt

This has been the most tedious exercise. Have been trying to hunt for 1 high and low for the last 1 month and till now, I have yet to be able to find one. :bangwall: Had shortlisted some units and hopefully able to arrange the viewing this weekend. Wanting to confirm an unit by end this week and off-load this nerve-racking process.

My target would be to confirm the short term rental unit by this weekend and next weekend, my target is to confirm the ID/Contractor. Based on my timing calculations, next weekend would be the lastest timing to confirm the Id/Contractor if I want to start the renovation by begining May.

Will provide updates again sometime next week.

Hi, are you sure Henry from IDnote can take up your job ?? You better check and double check with him..

Please read up his thread in the main forum before you go start rental of place.. haha.. =)

Waikwok,

Understood your displeasure with Henry amd of course I have read up his thread before getting him to quote.

Btw, getting a rental unit has nothing to do with whom I'm getting to do up my place as I will make sure that whoever I confirm will have to meet my schedule and moreover I have not set on confirming which ID/Contractor I would be using.

Anyway, Thanks alot for your inputs.

Edited by sgdstuff

Hi sgdstuff,

Thanks for your input about the ID and Contractors that you have spoken earlier on.

I am still waiting for the quotes. So, I can't comment so far. Btw, do you request to see their existing projects or past projects?

Cheers:) Emobebe

Hi sgdstuff,

Thanks for your input about the ID and Contractors that you have spoken earlier on.

I am still waiting for the quotes. So, I can't comment so far. Btw, do you request to see their existing projects or past projects?

Cheers:) Emobebe

Hi Emobebe

I will be doing that but not until I down select to 2 or 3 of them by this weekend.

Hi Emobebe

I will be doing that but not until I down select to 2 or 3 of them by this weekend.

hi, i am also doing up my resale 4A flat at hougang. Same layout as urs, just mirror image. HaHa....

I plan to engage Alan. True his quote is abit loosely written, but after talking to him for a few times, i feel he is sincer and not pushy. Seen his work and feel its ok.

Most likely i will start reno end April. Partly is his quote is the lowest among all i have taken. No choice, due to tight budget.

Anyway, hope i have not make wrong choice....haha......

Hope to see ur 3D drawing soon. I plan to put the dinning at the living rm. Wats ur plan??? Might share??? Thanks

Short Term Rental

Finally, had managed to secure a short term rental in Alexandra area. It's kind of tedious as I would still need to make 2 daily trips back to Hougang as my daughter's nanny is in Hougang..... actually same block as I am.

Made the decision to take up this unit party due to cost and timing, had tried to look out for units in Hougang, Sengkang & Punggol and it's either I was quoted a Sky High price or the timing just could not fit into my plans.

ID/Contractor

After receiving the quotes and thru several family discussions, had decided to go for Ideal House-Kevin. Pricing is not exactly the main factor that we decided on him but still, he was able to cover the stuff I needed within the budget I have in mind.

Among the 5 quotes I had received, his quote is rank 3 highest i.e. smack in the middle and other than some personal reasons we are chosing him, the other main reason would be his attitude. No offence to the rest of the ID/Contractor, all of them are helpful as well just that we felt more comfortable with Kevin.

Will be meeting up with him later to go thru the "final" quote before I sign on the dotted line and fingers crossed that I'm making the right decision.

hi, i am also doing up my resale 4A flat at hougang. Same layout as urs, just mirror image. HaHa....

I plan to engage Alan. True his quote is abit loosely written, but after talking to him for a few times, i feel he is sincer and not pushy. Seen his work and feel its ok.

Most likely i will start reno end April. Partly is his quote is the lowest among all i have taken. No choice, due to tight budget.

Anyway, hope i have not make wrong choice....haha......

Hope to see ur 3D drawing soon. I plan to put the dinning at the living rm. Wats ur plan??? Might share??? Thanks

Hi Immunity,

Now I understand why Alan called me the other day to clarify himself :notti:

Anyway, I think he should be pretty ok as the Aunties whom I knew in the market were praising him on his work done in their houses. :D

For me, I was initially moved by his quotes but due to previous bad experience in similar situation, I prefer not to take any chances even though the quote was the cheapest.

No offence on your decision and I'm sure he will be able to do a good job for you.

On my layout, I will have my dining in the living as well because my wife needs an additional preparation table in the kitchen. After the reno, my living will no longer be a complete spacious sqaure anymore because due to FSM reccommendation, I need to do up some feature wall to block up certain area. Also, I will be shifting my MBR entrance as well.

Will upload the 3D once ID provides it to us, kind of excited now :)

Edited by sgdstuff