Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
droplets

Waterfly

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

In my previous rented place, the master bathroom was also infested with waterflies.

I realised that the root cause was due to the moist and dampness in the bathroom. At that time, the shower mixer (Bravaat brand which i have condemned it after that experience) was leaking water drop by drop in every 5 seconds. We didnt want to repair it since we are just renting the place and will be moving to our new house soon.

In the last month, I came out with the idea to place the shower head on the floor with the spray facing upward. Water dripping improved since there was gravity holding back the leaking. That month itself, we noticed so much lesser waterflies in the bathroom.

Learning from experience, I am very anal over the dry-ness in my new bathroom to prevent waterflies from infesting. Till now, i have seen a single waterfly in my new bathrooms. *fingers-crossed*

Waterfly or drain fly, i guess they are the same - looks like miniature housefly but grey in color n with big wings. They stick to the wall the whole time, easy to kill but too many to kill. BUT their kids - the larvaes are gross :o . They are small dark worms infesting the floor - hiding behind the air-con drain pipes, etc. I found out that their eggs are in the drain pipes - both floor trap and sink trap. I did the following steps:

1. For floor trap, i bought the $3.90 showy white color thingy to put inside the floor trap, which is supposed to prevent insect like cockroaches from crawling up. DONT get the cup type as it can retain water n become new nest again.

Floor trap grating

2. For sink trap, i opened up the sink trap and there are tonnes of hairs, dirts, blackie things from ancient time. I cld see small larvaes sticking/infesting in the lump! :o Like the image in this webpage:

Drain fly

What i did: changed the whole sink trap (cheap - only about $4)

Showy Sink Trap

and the bottle trap (the one which you can unscrew to clean, i cleaned before but not effective).

Bottle trap

So far, the drain flies population decrease tremendously. Only 1 or 2 can be spotted. Guess they are the last 'mohicans' or drainees, hope so. :)

Edited by Berry10