Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
meemee

Pvc Bifold And Accordion Doors

I want to install 2 bifold doors in my kitchen for the utility room and the toilet. At first, I wanted either pvc bifold or accordion doors because I want something that can be installed on the existing door frame, but I was told by a supplier that:

1) there is no stock for PVC bifold doors island wide

2) only swing doors do not need an additional door frame.

Number 1) sounds v dubious. My parents have pvc bifold doors installed during the upgrading, and the door doesn't need any top or bottom track. So I thought this type of doors can be installed on the existing door frames.

Can anyone help me out here? Any recommendations for pvc bifold and accordion doors? Thanks in advance!

Edited by meemee

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The first explanation given to u is obviously an excuse!

U could drop those suppliers who tell u this becox those who own workshops here in Singapore would be able to cut out the bifold doors & install it for you within days of ordering them.

But those bifold doors that your parents acquired during their flat's upgrading programme are massproduced and may not be sold in the local retail market. I believe that theirs look very pretty with a handle that's used for opening the door & locking it at the same time right?

I'm not sure about those doors becox my aunt had her toilet upgraded last year and the door handles are already threatening to come off.

If you are interested in considering Han Fong Aluminium's bifold doors or whatever the boss would recommend, you could contact his wife, Mrs Kang. My kitchen door is a sliding type on double tracks but pending installation becox they will do it only after I've completed reno for my flat.

But u could view my vanity "drawers" which were done by them under the following thread:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=39552&hl=

{Vanity Drawers By Han Fong Aluminium Pte Ltd, (Below windows - for storage purposes)}

Superb workmanship & value for $! I've done many interviews & surveys, and by far, this is one of the best & reasonably priced. :)

Hi Edenstrauss and gimz63251073,

Thanks for your replies! Yah, their island-wide out of stock excuse is quite lame. :P And they were quite one kind; can only tell me that they are only open on Sundays!

Actually, I was responding to their flyer, so I think suppliers/companies do sell retail. I tried looking in classifieds and online but it's really hard to find pvc bifold doors.

Any idea if the pvc bifolds or accordion doors need their own frames, or can be installed on existing frames? I'm looking for those that can be installed on existing frames cos the area for the doors are really small. If add another frame, the area will even be smaller! And I think it looks weird to have two frames.

And edenstrauss, your vanity area in the balcony looks good! And Han Fong seems to have done a pretty good job, will be calling them pretty soon if pvc bifolds need additional frames as well. So for installation, do they do hacking? Or they are the type who will just install over the existing frames?

And your flat is so big and nice! Envious! :)

Hi meemee,

I think it's best if u get the expert to comment on whether there's a need to install another door frame or could an existing one could be used.

U have to contact Han Fong Aluminium directly for a site visit.

The harsh rain & sun that hits our flat directly is merciless becox it's totally unblocked on the front and back of our unit. The sun hits us direct and the rain washes down at our flat like nobody's business.

So the exterior walls age really fast. The boss at Han Fong recommended that we engage a carpenter to do up those doors instead of using aluminium frames becox we will have an advantage of having more space. But no choice becox the rain seeps in when it's too heavy. *sigh*

But those doors from Han Fong saved us tonnes of $$ as wooden ones are definitely more expensive. :)

Hi meemee,

I think it's best if u get the expert to comment on whether there's a need to install another door frame or could an existing one could be used.

U have to contact Han Fong Aluminium directly for a site visit.

The harsh rain & sun that hits our flat directly is merciless becox it's totally unblocked on the front and back of our unit. The sun hits us direct and the rain washes down at our flat like nobody's business.

So the exterior walls age really fast. The boss at Han Fong recommended that we engage a carpenter to do up those doors instead of using aluminium frames becox we will have an advantage of having more space. But no choice becox the rain seeps in when it's too heavy. *sigh*

But those doors from Han Fong saved us tonnes of $$ as wooden ones are definitely more expensive. :)

Well, the first supplier I called is really a big, fat liar. Managed to get another 2 more companies to quote me for the pvc bifold doors and multi-fold doors. Turns out that only the multi-fold doors need an additional frame. The bifold doors are more expensive than aluminum ones, about $320 without frames. So may be considering aluminum bifolds after all. My parents' pvc bifolds are still working okay after 3 years, just that the doors are really noisy when you close them, and they require quite a bit of strength to open and close.

Wow, the rains at your place sounds really relentless! Isn't there a way to seal the rain out? Anyway, your aluminum doors look just as nice as wooden ones. :)

Well, the first supplier I called is really a big, fat liar. Managed to get another 2 more companies to quote me for the pvc bifold doors and multi-fold doors. Turns out that only the multi-fold doors need an additional frame. The bifold doors are more expensive than aluminum ones, about $320 without frames. So may be considering aluminum bifolds after all. My parents' pvc bifolds are still working okay after 3 years, just that the doors are really noisy when you close them, and they require quite a bit of strength to open and close.

Wow, the rains at your place sounds really relentless! Isn't there a way to seal the rain out? Anyway, your aluminum doors look just as nice as wooden ones. :)

We feedback to town council but they need to know where the water seeped in from. Still trying to figure out :P

I wouldn't recommend PDoors. very flimsy & expensive. and the doors don't last according to many of our neighbours becox the swing slide mechanism isn't made for heavy duty usage.

Aluminium sliding doors are supposedly the most durable but would hv its nails drilled to the floor. However, bifold saves space & doesn't require any drilling - I think so.

Hi,

Hope I am not too late you may try my contractor Alvin Tang 9476 6446. I just install a aluminium door for my kitchen a bi-fold door for my toilet, he is friendly and I would say he is quite good cos my kitchen wall tiles is uneven so there might be a gap if I close the kitchen door but he manage to solve it :)