Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jkkwek

Sofa Salesperson Say Some Sofa Cannot Go Up The Stairs

My condo haven't TOP yet, now we are shopping for Sofa.

We saw a sofa we like...the measurement is 230cm (length) 115cm (depth), it is a 3 seater sofa. The salesman didn't say anything about cannot go up. Our unit is on the 4th floor.

But when we go to OM Furniture, the saleswoman said that the maximum that can go up the staircase is 220cm....I wonder if you are using some sales techniques to ask us to buy their sofa??? They have a sofa we like and measurement is, you guess it, 220cm.

What do you guys think???

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

We saw a sofa we like...the measurement is 230cm (length) 115cm (depth), it is a 3 seater sofa. The salesman didn't say anything about cannot go up. Our unit is on the 4th floor.

But when we go to OM Furniture, the saleswoman said that the maximum that can go up the staircase is 220cm....I wonder if you are using some sales techniques to ask us to buy their sofa??? They have a sofa we like and measurement is, you guess it, 220cm.

The lift can't be used?

How does the saleswoman know the size of the staircase at your condo?

Yup. I think the saleswoman isn't be very upfront with you. 230cm probably won't fit in many/most lifts, but should have no problem if using the stairwell. Had the same issue with my sofa. It was too large to fit into the lift and so the deliverymen had to carry it up 10 floors. Paid them an extra 100 dollars for their effort.

Yup. I think the saleswoman isn't be very upfront with you. 230cm probably won't fit in many/most lifts, but should have no problem if using the stairwell. Had the same issue with my sofa. It was too large to fit into the lift and so the deliverymen had to carry it up 10 floors. Paid them an extra 100 dollars for their effort.

The maximum length for a sofa that can go into a lift is 220cm on average, this is through for most condos and HDB flats.

If the sofa is 230cm, it's fifty -fifty that it can be carried up a stairwell. If it is more than 230cm, the sofa may not even make it up the stairwell.

It really depends on the size of the stairwell, salespeople will never want to sell something to you that cannot be delivered. If you like something really long, it is best to measure your stairwell first. The height of the stairwell must be higher than the length of the sofa.

The maximum length for a sofa that can go into a lift is 220cm on average, this is through for most condos and HDB flats.

If the sofa is 230cm, it's fifty -fifty that it can be carried up a stairwell. If it is more than 230cm, the sofa may not even make it up the stairwell.

It really depends on the size of the stairwell, salespeople will never want to sell something to you that cannot be delivered. If you like something really long, it is best to measure your stairwell first. The height of the stairwell must be higher than the length of the sofa.

Thank you for your reply but my condo haven't TOP yet. I don't know how to measure to stairwell now. And the sofa must order in advance 3 months...that's why I raise this question at RenoTalk.

Thank you for your reply but my condo haven't TOP yet. I don't know how to measure to stairwell now. And the sofa must order in advance 3 months...that's why I raise this question at RenoTalk.

If it is a new condo, I can almost guarantee you that a 2.3m sofa will not make it up the stairwell. You should really get something shorter than 2.2m or something modular.

Otherwise, you end up buying something that cannot be delivered, I don't think the company that sells you the sofa will give you a refund.

In my experience, newer condos have very small stairwells, I know because I have gone and measured them myself.

thats a good question.

i have no experience with this..but what if the sofa is really too big to be delivered? sell it off to someone else? or has the sofa company got to think of a way to get it into your house? do they have any legal obligations to be able to deliver?

i have this thing abt modular furniture...they have joints which usually make them weaker compared to a 1 pc furniture, or being modular..they can be separated..and i hate that cos after you sit a while, it might move apart...got to push them together again...

Edited by archenemy

Hi All,

I guess different store have different way to work.

I am eyeing for a sofa which is 235cm, the sales person is charging $20 per storey. my home is located at #18. Can't help it.

Hi All,

I guess different store have different way to work.

I am eyeing for a sofa which is 235cm, the sales person is charging $20 per storey. my home is located at #18. Can't help it.

Charging is one thing.....can go up or not is another thing...

Charging is one thing.....can go up or not is another thing...

Very true! I heard of many "amazing" stories from delivery personnel; such as using the opening (HDB users should be quite familiar with it) of the stairwell to move the furniture from stairs to stairs. Imagine juggling the moving of the sofa and simply hanging onto it as part of it "hangs" out of the HDB block.

For those who are curious, the sofa was managed to be delivered without issues.

Delivery personnel really don't have it easy.