Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
aegis0129

Hack Old Tiles Away Or Overlay?

My place has tiles at the bottom layer and previous owner overlaid his laminate boards over it. I'n planning to use homo tiles now, the contractor has removed the laminates and told me its fine to overlay the tiles over the old ones. Should I request for the bottom layer of tiles to be hacked away as well before laying the homo tiles or would it be fine to overlay tiles on tiles? I'm worried that if the bottom layer is no go it will cause my tiles to pop. Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Best to remove all tiles before laying new ones. If the original tiles are not done properly it will pop and cause your new tiles to crack. Repairing this would not be a simple job as you have 2 layers of tiles to deal with.

I agree with navik, first would be a little bit costly, but you have piece of mind in future..:)

Hi Aegis,

Usually the tiles warranty is given by the manufacturer. I think if it still look good (no stain, discoloration, no crack, no popping or whatsoever) you can keep it. But if you want to change them to homo tiles floor, it would be best to hack them.

Cheers

overlay - cheap will save you money

hack - need to add a bit more cash but guarantee much much better than overlay...

i was keen on getting overlay for my house before but since its my house i rather give it the best if i can then later on you will think "why did i not hack if i had the chance" lol..... :yamseng: just my 2 cents

unless your really keen on overlay go for it... its your choice anyway... :good:

If the existing tiles has no hollow tiles, its fine to overlay.

If the tiles has been there for over 10 yrs, better check for hollow tiles and then decide.

If hollow tiles, better hack and re-lay.