Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edenstrauss

My Hubby'S Dangerous Stunt With Our Wardrobe

After covering with all our furnishings and personal belongings with Nippon's Plastic Drop Cloth as illustrated in the following thread: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40270&st=0&p=632883&fromsearch=1entry632883 ,

we moved on to one of the most difficult task of bringing down the wardrobe which we bought from Barang Barang during their good old days in year 2000.

This was a feat accomplished by my hubby becox it was a mammoth of a wardrobe even during such times - at 94"(W) x 86"(H) x 27"(D). I almost have to dial 995 for an ambulance when he was stuck below the cabinet frame when it landed directly on him after he commanded me to push it down with all my strength!!! :(:(

And the quality and workmanship of those days were relatively impressive becox they lasted for eons. It was nothing like the IKEA quality that u see in their showrooms now becox our version from Barang Barang back in year 2000, had a very high threshold for heavy weights.

When it was first delivered to us by Barang Barang, the furniture establishment had to mobilise 1 installer and 2 assistants to get the item installed manually with powered drills in our extra-large MBR (master bedroom).

Now that we have decided to restore both MBR and common room to its original layout instead of its amalgamated state, we were compelled to relocate this giantic wardrobe.

My hubby had decided to take a risk in taking it apart on his own. I had my objections becox it was dangerous & it risk damaging my wardrobe.

I had also questioned how this is possible becox none of us had carpentry experience.

And I wished I was able to take photos of him bringing down the giantic wardrobe but I didn't have any chances as my hands were required to help him out during the dismantling :P

Edited by edenstrauss

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

This was how his shorts looked like after he successfully dismantled the mammoth of a wardrobe:

5682419857_b0beca2895_m.jpg

I'll nickname this giant wardrobe The MAMMOTH becox of its size :P

Here are photos of some components of The MAMMOTH after it had been taken apart by my hubby...

The 2 panels of wooden sliding doors:

5682419847_56b559da45_z.jpg

The sandblasted glass panel (sliding door) which still looked beautiful without any stains even after 10 years:

5682476481_c77279d9fb_z.jpg

The base and sides of the wardrobe:

5682419829_6843bdf369_z.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

This photo features the supposedly heavy-duty rollers of the sandblasted glass door of The Mammoth:

5682476505_72f5d4e9f1_z.jpg

We discovered that the strip of dust-guard (not sure what it's known as but it's for keeping out lizards & whatever that would crawl in between the gaps) lining the sandblasted glass door is peeling off as the glue holding it there had hardened and disintegrated with age.

So my hubby had applied a thin layer of Kangaroo brand glue which is also commonly used by carpenters for sticking formica boards onto wooden furnitures.

5682419839_86fb56f169_z.jpg

The glue quality seems to be pretty good becox the dust guard had a sturdy hold onto the metal frame & thus far, it hadn't peeled off yet:

5682476489_423d88c96c_z.jpg

To illustrate how good the quality of The Mammoth is even though it is 10 years old, these photos show the 4 drawers which are lined with glass panels on the front:

5682419855_9723d2737a_z.jpg

The installation process wasn't as terrible & scary as the dismantling of The Mammoth.

However, it wasn't a breeze as well becox it wasn't as straight forward as we thought it was.

After my hubby set the base down onto its new location i.e. in the existing common room where the storeroom door opens from within, we realised that it was odd that the top of the cabinet couldn't be aligned to the vertical panels that formed the frame of The Mammoth.

This is the photo of the top of The Mammoth where you can see that there are metal screws sitting on it. My hubby had explained to me that those metal screws served as the male components which will hold the vertical panels together to form most of the wooden cabinets frames.

5682419835_12e1642b9e_z.jpg

Anyways, during this process of dismantling & assembling, we were both so stressed up becox The Mammoth was so bulky and heavy and this was indeed my hubby's first attempt in doing such stuff.

I started nagging at him becox I didn't agree to a DIY stunt in the first place. And it was a terrible relief when he managed to crawl out from under THE MAMMOTH after it was "timber-fallen" when he told me to push it down.

I felt that he should have hired a professional instead. So during his stunts, it was also a session of shouting matches between the 2 of us. :argue:

Edited by edenstrauss

Eventually, he sent me down on an errand of buying tea for him. And when I returned from the trip, I was surprised to see that he managed to rectify the alignment of The MAMMOTH's frame.

So here comes the photos of the installation process...

My hubby's attempt in realigning the vertical panels flanking both sides of the frame:

5683284435_6eb5f9ce52_z.jpg

Managing to get the alignment rectified:

5683284429_c95628d05b_z.jpg

There were "roofing" gaps seen between the boards on the back of the frame and its rooftop as shown in the photos below:

5683293743_235885af22_z.jpg

But this was easily solved when my hubby adjusted the boards in sliding them upwards and nailing them in place with tiny nails - they looked really fine in dimension.

Edited by edenstrauss

Here comes the HERO's :sport-smiley-003: photos while he nailed them in place:

5683293737_05235bae3a_z.jpg

And there comes the railings for clothes, which were indeed made of very very high quality stainless steel. Not only were there no rust spots after 10 years in a bedroom that is frequently airconditioned & with a toilet, it was able to withstand the weight of all my clothes which were bursting out of THE MAMMOTH:

5683293717_31c357d82a_z.jpg

My hubby installing the sliding doors:

5683293709_bf6a788c1b_z.jpg

The wooden paneled doors had to be adjusted on both sides using allen keys to that the drawers at the centre compartment could be drawn out easily without crashing into the metal frame of the sandblasted glass door.

5683293713_90b86bea25_z.jpg

But while he was at it, he shoo-ed me out of the bedroom as my nagging & fussing was too much of a bad distraction. So no chance for taking any snapshots of it.

At last, the finished product: THE MAMMOTH reinstated at its new location!

5683284453_63b37491c8_z.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

And the accents of THE MAMMOTH at its new location, including Crabtree & Evelyn's drawer liners which had a thick waxy layer on the reverse side, which would last for a very very long time without disintegrating:

5683284439_e2cab42a41_z.jpg

IKEA's MALLA series of boxes and storage systems with compartments for storing away some of my towels, pillow cases, accessories, etc:

5683284463_9e9a6e2af6_z.jpg

5683293705_1423408453_z.jpg

And finally, my clothings, bags, haircare, etc

5683284447_c161e89843_z.jpg

To pen-off in conclusion of this stressful episode of relocating such heavy furnishings, we are keeping our fingers crossed that this will be the first & last time of attempting such dangerous stunts. :drunk:

Edited by edenstrauss

Here are extra shots of him dismantling & putting away our super-King sized bedframe measuring at 190cm x 200cm. It was our matrimonial bed which we bought from Barang Barang in year 2000 when we first got married.

5683429313_c3274c8364_z.jpg

5683429317_fa31fa9ee2_z.jpg

It was made of solid wood and is so sturdy, heavy that we used a DIY trolley to wheel its headboard into the same bedroom which is currently housing THE MAMMOTH.

Both of us were itching to replace the bedframe when we visited furniture retailers but there was simply no chances becox it's still doing well even after 10 years. It looked brandnew without any scratches, scuffmarks. No cracks at all even though my flat is subjected to the hot afternoon sun.

Edited by edenstrauss

Post-mortem comments:

Jux some mushy remarks over here... :P

He chided me for calling him a silly old man, ambitious freak, smart aleck, etc when he had difficulties in dismantling & reassembling THE MAMMOTH... 8|

And eventually saluted him as a HERO on RT after his stunt was successful... :sport-smiley-003:

He shook his head in disbelief and commented at how fickle women could be with their men. And even snorted like a lizard would with the tsk! tsk! tsk! sound...

That was funny... hehehehehe

:rofl:

Edited by edenstrauss

edenstrauss, i enjoyed reading your recount of your adventures with the mammoth! hahah kudos to the both of you for the process. :jammin:

edenstrauss, i enjoyed reading your recount of your adventures with the mammoth! hahah kudos to the both of you for the process. :jammin:

Hi sleek,

Thanks for the compliments :D We're glad that you found it amusing!

Hi all,

I have started a new blog website & most of my topics which are started on renotalk forum would be "migrated" over there in due course.

For those who are interested in reading on, kindly visit my newly created blogging website, The Treasure Cove of Barbette at:

http://barbettey.blogspot.com/

Thank You!