Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
SiSi

3 'S' :: Simmons / Serta Or Sealy Mattress?

Dear All,

I have just begun my mattress hunt. Heard about Simmons, Serta and Sealy, also read some old threads on them on Renotalk Forum.

Here are some things I have learnt from this forum which I thought is useful.

- Try resting on them for at least 10 mins to gauge

- Even with the same brand, every boutique has different models though likely they are made the same for the same entry level (the manufacturer probably just want to protect their retailers)

Went to a Sealy sleep clinic and learnt that the springs in their mattress are actually intertwined together! I thought this was an old design before they launched the pocket spring for uninterrupted movement sleep?

Could anyone using any of them kindly comment on their buys and location of purchase please?

Am looking for a King size mattress with good support.

Thanks lots!!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I have also been searching for a mattress recently.

These brands of mattresses are also available at Courts, Harvey Norman and leading department stores as you may be aware. To add to the confusion, different boutiques carry different models eg the Sealy Sleep Palace at Tanglin carry the 'Hotel' collection which is not available at other Sealy boutiques.

Dun forget the fourth "S" - Slumberland which I find is under-rated in this forum. I like the 'Tempsmart' series which has been discontinued recently and 'Tempsmart II' is now available. Do look out for the Slumberland weekend warehouse sales at Jalan Peminpin which are often advertised in the Strait Times.

If you're looking for a King size bed, I would suggest you visit the Robinsons Bedshop at Centrepoint. You could 'upsize' selected Queen size models to King size for $1, plus 5% rebate if you're a Robinson cardmember.

Hi Altis72,

Thanks for the info :). Yes! The fourth 'S' is what I am using now. Not bad but thought of changing for a change.

Will do a 'sleep test' at Robinson Centerpoint soon to try out the 3 S.

:yamseng:

the 5th "S"...seahorse?

haha...not in the same category in terms of price though..but i have heard good things about it from my cousin...and i bought 1 for myself too...

using serta king mattress since last month

cost 2.7k inclusive bedframe

sleep like a log every night

can advise the model and where u got the deal from?

Does the robinson promo have bedframe included ?

Hi there,

I was deciding between Sealy or Simmons too. Spent half a day shuttling between Simmons and Sealy.

Sealy has joined coils so it's more motion sensitive but the joint coils give it SUPERB cradling effect. Felt like sleeping on a cloud (or how I imagine it would feel like :) )

Simmons has individual coils so less cradling effect but SUPERB in terms of less disturbance. My husband couldnt feel it when I was doing situps and flipping from back to tummy on my side of the bed.

Also, mattress firmness affects the amount of disturbance. If it's firm, it seems like there's more disturbance. So need to compare firm vs firm and soft vs soft (not firm vs soft) when comparing across brands.

It depends on what's more important to you. As I toss around when I sleep and wake my hubby up, we chose the Simmons. Sealy really couldnt compare to the Simmons in terms of being less motion sensitive. We tried to chose the best of both worlds (plushness + less disturbance) with a pillow top Simmons. The Simmons world series was also more value for money 5-6K as compared to the Sealy we were looking at 9-10K.

There's also the back care series for 2-3k which gave very good support for backs. However it wasnt as plush and didnt come as pillowtop so we gave it a miss.

Though we paid the down payment for the world series, we're also waiting for the Simmons black series to come out....heard that's EVEN better than the world series... Hopefully there'll be a promotional price when it comes out, else it's gonna cost a pretty penny at 10K upwards.

Hope this helps! At the end of the day, think better to really sleep on it (haha pardon the corny pun) as mattresses can last 10 years....it's a worthwhile investment given that we sleep a third to a quarter of our lives on it :)

Oh yes, the furniture mall has both Simmons and Sealy so might want to try them out there...easier to remember how each mattress felt :)

All the best! Happy bouncing!

Cheers,

Serapheve